Is it bad to go over your protein?

Options
I am planning my dinner but will be over my protein by 30:( is this ok?

Replies

• MCsAngel2
    MCsAngel2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What will that put you at/what is your daily protein allotment?
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for you! I usually take about 120g to 180g a day of protein. I recommend about 1.5g or 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass.
  • katrina1501
    katrina1501 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i have read alot about protein on here as its so easy to go over it! What i took from all the topics I read was occasionally going over isnt a problem but you should try stick to the goals set by MFP if you are wanting to achieve your target weight loss
  • JulieMI88
    JulieMI88 Posts: 13
    Options
    I don't think so. I go over my protein allowance every day and under on fat and carb everyday, because I eat 2 meals of beans.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The extra protein won't hurt you, in fact more is better, but it can put you over your calories. If you're going to be over in any macronutrient, protein is probably where you want it.
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Going over your protein should be a goal not a concern.... a long as as everything else is looking pretty good, keep itup!
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you go over your protein, you will go to hell! Its in the bible!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Going over a bit isn't going to hurt you. I tend to go over a bit one day and then a little under others. It happens. But don't go over too much too often... Personally, I think a lot of people overestimate how much protein they need and that's actually not too good for your body (kidneys and liver in particular), so trying to stick to around your recommended is a good goal. Unless you're seriously into body building, don't worry about thinking you need to eat a whole bunch of it — but conversely, going over a bit isn't really horrible unless you're going over by a lot all the time. Balance is key. =)
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    As long as you are near your calorie goal, going over your protein isn't at all a bad thing.

If you have a smart phone, use the app to keep your RATIOS in check, rather than obsessing over 20g of this or that every day. Think long-term, and review your WEEKLY net calories, carb/fat/protein ratios. If you have a big day, you can always compensate over the next 2 or three days.

The evolution of the human metabolism hasn't changed all that much in at least 12,000 years, so your body probably isn't going to freak out if it happens to get a measly 20g extra protein one day ;)