:( needing help with something

Options
So im in health class as we speak and we are talking about cardo..... so I state that I use the elliptical. This guy in my class is a personal trainer and he says ITS THE BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME. Can I please get some feed back from people who are in this field or have some knowledge. Im getting a bit discouraged. THANKS

Replies

• tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    He's probably one of those: cardio is a waste of time, all you need is heavy lifting. In my opinion one needs a combo of cardio and strength training. The elliptical is not a waste of time if you're working hard and not just going through the motions while you're watching tv. But you do need to build muscle too, cardio builds the heart muscle , strength training builds the muscles that burn the fat. It's ALL GOOD!
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. There are many good ways to get good cardio. Elliptical, walking, running, biking, rowing, swimming, jumping jacks, anything to get your heart pumping and your body moving! However, it is important to combine cardio with strenth training. Strength training builds lean muscle mass (does not make ladies bulky), gives your body beautiful tone, and ultimately increases your metabolism. Combine aerobic and anarobic activity with healthy eating (minimal processed foods, lots of fiber, good carbs, good fats, minimal sugar) and you will see your body fat percentage decrease.
  • s56clow
    s56clow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with tam 120, some personal trainers 'push' there own agenda. But standing is better than sitting, walking is better than standing,running is better than walking. Just exercising is better than doing nothing. Get my drift here.:laugh: Combining strength and cardio is better for you. But most important You are moving, which means you are using more of your bodies energy. Some people perferr certain exercises. You must do somthing that keeps you happy and you enjoy. Well done.Keep at it.:drinker:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    That might depend on what your goals are. Cardio is good for your heart, so it will never be a total waste of time.
  • TheMissingSock
    Options
    Well MY trainer says to do 20-30 minutes of cardio (treadmill or elliptical my choice) to get warmed up, then move on to the harder stuff.

so there :p

*edited for poor spelling*
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I used my elliptical all the time...I have a bad knee. I also used the treadmill, but I can only do it so long. I do burn more on the treadmill....but I burn good on the Elliptical also. As long as you keep moving your doing good!!
  • mollyquewl
    Options
    If you are moving you are burning more calories than sitting on the couch. If that's an exercise that you like and are willing to do on a regular basis then it shouldn't matter what he says.
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    So im in health class as we speak and we are talking about cardo..... so I state that I use the elliptical. This guy in my class is a personal trainer and he says ITS THE BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME. Can I please get some feed back from people who are in this field or have some knowledge. Im getting a bit discouraged. THANKS
    First, if he's a trainer, why is he in YOUR health class. Shouldn't he be in a more advanced class if he were soooo knowledgable?
    Second, I burn 300-500 calories each session on the elliptical. I get my cardio in and I don't kill my knees in the process. If you're getting your heart rate up in the range it needs to be safely, it really doesn't matter about your method.
  • carolbat
    carolbat Posts: 3
    Options
    Any Cardio is good the important thing is that u do a cardio workout you enjoy! If you like the Eliptical then try changing it up like doing level 1 for 3 minutes then climb a hill for 2 minutes then back to your 3 minutes at level 1. Interval training is fun and challenging and effective. Then I would put some time for weight training. You can train a different muscle group to failure (approx three different exercising for that muscle) after your cardio which will increase strength and tone as well as not spending hours at the gym. Cardio burns fat during the exercise while strength training and increasing muscle continues to burn after the workout. I hope this helps.
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    thank you all for your input it really helps..... so i think i will continue. To answer why he is in our health class.... because its one of our core classes we have to take to get a degree. He is really knowledgable and my professor is a pediatricion and he says that the elliptical is a step in the right direction but maybe not the best choice. idk any way who cares a calorie burned is a calorie burned. THANKS A BUNCH