Getting obsessive with calorie counts

2»

Replies

• WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    kdfhgks.jpg

haha but really, if you find yourself doing this you may need to take a breather break from mfp. relax. food = NUTRIENTS not NUMBERS. try thinking of it that way. usually the nutritious foods are low cal. and everyone goes over their cals once in a while. food is meant to be nourishing and enjoyable while doing so, and while its important to watch proportions, if you become too obsessed with the numbers (cals in, cals out) part of this lifestyle its just not as enjoyable! so take it easy love! <3

This^

And this is why I love her :)
  • lisa46219
    lisa46219 Posts: 99 Member
    I had the same issue- I am fine during the day, and plan my breakfast and lunch in advance. But I know when I get home I will be more apt to eat too many calories. I have started to have some higher caloric items in my house. For example, if I'm having a good day and low on my calories I will use regular salad dressing rather than the light. I also started buying more foods that I would normally not consider- like cheese. When my day is ending and I am way under my calories I will have pita chips and hummus as my snack instead of fruit or lower calorie options. Hope this helps!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    But if it is already routine, then you don't have to think about it, you already know, so then the stress is gone. For example, I have yogurt in the fridge at work, sometimes cheese sticks. And usually apples or bananas. This is breakfast, and the stash is there in case I miss lunch or I need a snack. I know those things are good for me and unless I eat a ton of them, it isn't going to put me over goal. For lunch I usually go out. I already did my research on what meals are okay at what places I usually go. Dinner is usually home made during the week, and I know some kind of regular meat, regular side and a vegetable is going to be around a certain amount of calories.
  • misskariw
    misskariw Posts: 171 Member
    Try not to obsess. I know, easier said than done. The thing is..everybody needs a minimum of 1200 calories for the day. If you're exercising, you need more, and unless you're already a tiny person, you need more than that for existing. I wrote my own plan because nothing was working for me. I'm eating 6 times a day (this actually means I'm eating practically all day long). I usually have 2 or 3 items per meal to equal around 200 calories, except for one meal, which I try to push up to 350-450. My food diary is open for public viewing and I am keeping a blog at followkarisjourney.blogspot.com if you want to see what I'm eating. You'll see it's a similar list of foods each day, but it's working for me and I'm making small changes as I feel they're needed along the way. If I can help you, let me know. Feel free to add me as a friend here if you want.
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    @skinnylove: I always appreciate a good Barbossa reference.

*deep breath*

The more I think about this, the more I'm coming to realize that I think I'm starting to project my personal anxieties onto my eating. I've been under a fairly unrelenting amount of stress lately, and I think I'm now applying it to food as a means of trying to gain control over some aspect of my life.

I must wonder if this is the way some eating disorders start, and if so, at least I have the presence of mind to stop it now. Perhaps I will in fact take a few days of rest from this, just to get the other aspects of my life in order...
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    My only concern is that by pre-planning my day, I leave no wiggle room for myself in case my plans change. My day-to-day life can get rather hectic, and I'm worried that I'll begin obsessing about planning out the perfect meals and then if I don't stick to them I'll get very angry at myself.

EDIT: If I did have a smartphone, it might be easier, but sadly, I don't.

That's not the point of planning your day. You plan your day so you learn what balance of foods you need to eat daily. That way, when things get hectic, you can say "well, OK, I had planned on X, which is a high-protein food, I'd better substitute something like Y, which is somewhat similar". Then when you get home you adjust your "plan" for the day to reality, and learn whether your on-the-spot decisions were good ones.

If they weren't, then you just learned something that you can use next time.

I bag a lunch and stick pretty slavishly to it, at least for the time being. But now that I'm eating a regulated, controlled diet, I'm starting to learn the cues my body gives me when it wants fat or protein as opposed to when a complex carb might be the right answer as opposed to when a few calories of simple sugar for a quick pick-me-up might do, and more importantly when I'm mistaking thirst or sodium overload for hunger (a common mistake, and the source of the myth that you get "hungry" 2 hours after eating Chinese food - actually, you are THIRSTY because the MSG has just hit your system and the sodium is dehydrating you badly).

One you start learning those cues, it gets easier to make on-the-spot choices. "Man, my tummy is all rumbly, time for some filling fats and proteins!" "Oh, my energy levels are dropping, time for a glass of water and some complex carbs!" "I'm just dropping on my feet and I have to be my best for the meeting in 10 minutes, time for a lifesaver, a big glass of water, then a balanced carb/fat/protein snack to keep the energy there when the sugar runs out!" The cues will probably be different for you, and your reactions might be different depending on the balance of foods you discover works for you (Atkins/low-carb fans will probably be burning off a lot of calories screaming NNNNOOOOO!!!! at my last two examples).

My bag lunch has all the calories I need to get through a day in decent balances. When my body craves something, I have it. But it's all in a bag that contains a set amount of calories. At the end of the day, I know what I ate because it all came out of the bag. I found the sequence of things to eat that keeps me the most satisfied, but I don't fear changing the sequence, adding the occasional off-list snack (cookie or something from a friendly co-worker), as long as I log it and keep track of it.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member

I must wonder if this is the way some eating disorders start, and if so, at least I have the presence of mind to stop it now. Perhaps I will in fact take a few days of rest from this, just to get the other aspects of my life in order...

bingo. when a banana becomes 110 calories to you and NOT an amazing source of potassium, healthy carbs, and sugars essential for building up those potassium levels...thats the budding of an eating disorder. its like that scene in disney`s snow white when shes running through the forest and all the trees start scaring her and she collapses on the forest floor and cries. dont let food/calorie numbers scare you like those trees haha.

take a breath, step away from that mindset, and renew your way of thinking. WAY easier to start now and not further down the road. i wish you the best of luck with your and your family!! <3
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    My only concern is that by pre-planning my day, I leave no wiggle room for myself in case my plans change. My day-to-day life can get rather hectic, and I'm worried that I'll begin obsessing about planning out the perfect meals and then if I don't stick to them I'll get very angry at myself.

It sounds like you are going to obsess no matter what you do. That means that food isn't the issue. The issue is your mental process that won't allow yourself some flexibility.

Listen, life is all about wiggle room. So what if you plan a meal and something changes. That's life. Why are you choosing to fell bad about that.

You keep backing yourself into a corner and there's no way out.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Just keep in mind that food IS your friend. Food is fuel and our bodies need it. It's just about making better choices about the calories we put into our mouths.

This.
    Good food is our friend and good medicine. The obverse is obvious.
  • lizzyliz79
    lizzyliz79 Posts: 43 Member
    Plan ahead - log what you think you'll have for breakfast, lunch and dinner, then add some snacks. If you still have clls to spare add extras to meals or snacks like fruit, avocado, cheese, nuts etc.
    Don't forget to estimate your exercise too so you get a few extra cals earlier in the day if you have a workout planned.
    If plans change - then edit your diary, but at least you can see what a healthy eating day looks like.

^ I do this too, it really does help!
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    I think it takes a while to kind of balance it out. Plan as much as you can ahead of time, but if something comes up (out with friends/family etc) try not to let it get to you and just carry on the next day :)

This is life, so you need to balance all the other areas of your life with it too. Good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member

You see, I find that planning give me MORE wiggle room, not less.
    If I have planned my day and I know that I've built in (for example) 300 cals of snacks, then if there is a birthday at work I feel fine about eating a small peice of cake because I'll just drop off the snacks I had planned and substitute the cake.
    Or, because I know what's for dinner, I can have something extra with lunch if something comes up, and I'll just have a smaller portion at dinner, or drop off the extra cheese or avocado or something.
    Or, I'll just go over my calories today and know that I'll be under a little bit tomorrow so it will work out.

It certainly helps having a smart phone, but it's not essential. Really though, if the whole calorie counting thing is making you so obsessive, perhaps its not the right approach for you. We are all different and you need to find a way of eating that fits into your lifestyle. MFP has worked wonderfully well for me, but maybe you would be better with a different approach.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    LOL! It's all good! Atleast you are conscious about what you are eating. But remember, we want this to be a lifestyle; in saying that, we dont want to obsess over food the rest of our lives :)

I'm a Realtor and always in the car, infront of clients, talking, typing, on phone,etc. So hard to get all my food in sometimes! I even put calendar/cell alert reminders to drink water and take vitamins :) lol

I suggest preparing your food the nite before (measure and ziploc or tupperware) everything you can. Then even add in MFP log that nite (if you have time). This way you can space out your meals and already know serving sizes and space out your calories thru the day.

for me, I'm too busy to 'mess up' during the day, because I just reach in the cooler and grab that food/snack/etc. :) I tend to fall off on the weekends if I'm not as busy as I am during the week, but just try to plan ahead, or you PLAN TO FAIL ;) When I had a trainer, he was all about BEING PREPARED! If you have your food on you and ready to go, you are more likely to do well and not mess up :)

but make this fun and enjoy watching your body change. Its been fun for me because so many others around me have gotten inspired and are joing MFP as well!

HAPPY JOURNEY! Have fun, life is short!! Bless u
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member

You see, I find that planning give me MORE wiggle room, not less.
    If I have planned my day and I know that I've built in (for example) 300 cals of snacks, then if there is a birthday at work I feel fine about eating a small peice of cake because I'll just drop off the snacks I had planned and substitute the cake.
    Or, because I know what's for dinner, I can have something extra with lunch if something comes up, and I'll just have a smaller portion at dinner, or drop off the extra cheese or avocado or something.
    Or, I'll just go over my calories today and know that I'll be under a little bit tomorrow so it will work out.

It certainly helps having a smart phone, but it's not essential. Really though, if the whole calorie counting thing is making you so obsessive, perhaps its not the right approach for you. We are all different and you need to find a way of eating that fits into your lifestyle. MFP has worked wonderfully well for me, but maybe you would be better with a different approach.

great insight! thanks for sharing!
  • kesslertg
    kesslertg Posts: 54 Member
    OCD can work against you. Perfection is the enemy of the good. The idea is to approximate the calories, not perfect them. Objective is to eat 1700 approximate calories rather than 3000 approximate calories. No big deal. Advice is to relax, track things approximately, keep the calories below 2000 per day and workout at 1000 calories or more per day. Do that and weight will drip off.