Stopping Diet Soda Tomorrow....Help Me Succeed!

Options
Well after years of drinking diet sodas, I have come to the conclusion that I HAVE to STOP!!! Enough is enough....I am desperate to lose weight...so desperate that I am ready to change. I have been drinking it for a long time. I've tried over and over. Tried cutting back a bit, did not work. Tried having only a can a day, that did not work. I tried carbonated water with lemon etc...still nothing is helping me to stop. So this is pure self motivation and will (and maybe a few prayers too). There is no time like this time. I HAVE TO DO THIS. Cutting back on it doesn't work because I don't have self-control to ONLY drink a little. So here goes nothing....keep me in your thoughts and if you have anything advice I would love to hear it.

P.S. Who would have thought that a little can of diet soda has soooooooooooo much control over me and my weight.

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    don't want to come off as insensitive or snarky but ... diet soda has next to no calories. so ... what's the problem, exactly?
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    Try sparkling water. Not sure where you are from but if you have Target or wal-mart in your area both of them have really good sparkling water. Its like seltzer but much better and comes in flavors. Thats what I switched to. Use to drink alot of juice and ice tea which was a ton of sugar. So i changed to that because I can not live on just water alone.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I drank Bigelow Raspberry tea for a couple of weeks to help with the withdrawal and gradually stopped that too. I have a glass of the tea every now and then when I need a boost, but I don't crave it
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I gave it up in February and it didnt change my weight loss at all. I just didn't like how addicted I was to it. And I drank up to 12 a day. So give it up if you feel you need to, but don't be bummed if your weight loss doesn't speed up as a result.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    don't want to come off as insensitive or snarky but ... diet soda has next to no calories. so ... what's the problem, exactly?

Sugar cravings. Sodium. Water retention. Consuming as much artificial sweetener proportionally as what they use to give lab rats cancer. LOL.

I'm with you, girl, I quit diet sodas ... a year ago, or something like that, and it's so nice not really caring about soda. So addictive, they were. I'd have a zillion in a day. I don't even want to know how much salty salty salty I was drinking. It helped with my sweet tooth and now every once in a while I have a Dr. Zevia (stevia soda) and don't really care for any more.
  • sabram2147
    Options
    I quit cold turkey about 6 months ago. I was absolutely addicted to Diet Coke. It's horribly difficult! I couldn't even have it in the house. But, like you, after years I said enough is enough! The cravings have passed (worst in the first week or two), and I no longer "need" it. I did get horrific headaches from withdrawal, but those too passed within a few days to a week. (If you've ever been addicted to DC, you know what I'm talking about).

I'm now 6-months DC free ... and I feel fabulous! Your body will thank you when you quit. If you need support, feel free to add me.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    It's been 36 day since I have drank anything but water. I love diet Coke, but I know it's bad for me....so I stopped.

If your drinking that fake sugar ....you will still crave sugar. I have stopped eating processed food and lost over 20 pounds in about 6 weeks. I feel wonderful now!!
  • overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I stopped drinking it this week and have seen daily decreases on the scale.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It may have zero calories, but it's not fun to feel controlled by it. It's okay to want a soda, but when you get to the point that you can't go a day without it, that's a good point to try and get a grip on it.

I think I'll give quitting another go, too.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I was/am a serious Diet Mountain Dew addict, to the tune of four 44 ouncers + a 6 pack a day. Soda, and yes, even diet soda, is horrible for you. It's bad for your teeth, it's a bladder irritant, it makes you pee out your calcium so it's bad for your bones, causes bloating & can make you retain water. Good for you! It took me about a week & I like you, can't drink just one. I switched to bottled water. I started with some of the carbonated ones to make the transition & now try to avoid more than 1 or 2 of those/day too. Good luck! I'm cheering for yu!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking it when I was pregnant...and then just before Christmas started again...and I really wish I hadn't.

It's not about the zero calories - it's about addiction...and it freaking sucks.
    I am happy to say I had no DC today...
    and that's how you need to do it - one day at a time.

Granted - I did drink coffee ...but it was sweetened with stevia..and still no where near as sweet as DC.

For me, I have found that the more DC I consume, the more I crave the carb loaded sugary CRAP, so it needs to be banished again. Not to mention the cost...over $1 a day for a fountain pop..that's $30+ a month...and seriously - I can think of a lot better things to do with $30.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am now off diet soda - it is hard, but if I can do it you can. I used to think I needed the caffeine because I get migraines a lot (and before anyone asks, yes, this makes sense - the caffeine helps speed up the effectiveness of medication) but I have found that I am getting less headaches now. Of course, I am also drinking coffee but not coffee with a lot of calories - I make my own lattes at home for less than 30 cals. a piece. I also drink unsweetened iced tea if I go to restaurants.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Sugar cravings. Sodium. Water retention. Consuming as much artificial sweetener proportionally as what they use to give lab rats cancer. LOL.

sugar cravings? in your head. just don't give in. sodium? only 2 percent of your daily suggested limit of 2,300mg per 12 ounce can. water retention? only a 3 to 4 percent difference between caffeinated drinks and water -- and for those used to drinking caffeine, the effect lessens. lab rats getting cancer? yeah. when dosed with copious amounts.
  • iLikepistachios
    Options
    ill be praying!
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey a few months ago. What helps me now? I hate the taste! Tried having one at Easter and couldn't drink it, the taste was so bad.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

sugar cravings? in your head. just don't give in. sodium? only 2 percent of your daily suggested limit of 2,300mg per 12 ounce can. water retention? only a 3 to 4 percent difference between caffeinated drinks and water -- and for those used to drinking caffeine, the effect lessens. lab rats getting cancer? yeah. when dosed with copious amounts.

Agreed...... I drink 120 oz. of water a day along with my 2 to 3. 24 oz. Bottles of Pepsi Max and don't get craving for sweets or whatnot. And have still managed to lose a few pounds... I can understand quiting regular soda but diet???? To each their own.... Best of Luck.....
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not a lab rat - yet.

I stopped drinking diet cola during lent once. (not religious, it was just a good excuse) I did not gain or lose weight as a result of the abstenence. I have to make an effort to drink 4 glasses of water, but had no trouble drinking twice as much diet cola. Diet cola has no nutritional value what-so-ever. Water seems so tasteless. After the extended abstenance from diet cola, I have been able to limit myself to one can. Often I choose unsweetened iced tea as a substitute.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey a few months ago. What helps me now? I hate the taste! Tried having one at Easter and couldn't drink it, the taste was so bad.

It does taste pretty bad. When I first started drinking diet cola, I had to, sort of, gag it down.
  • still_crave_pizza
    Options
    I agree with Clover5. Once you stop drinking diet soda, and really soda in general, you will completely lose the taste for it. Someone wrote "what's wrong with diet soda, no calories". But it's the chemicals and I've also read that you still crave sweet if you drink diet soda and will probably get your sweet cravings with desserts etc. Plus it's ridiculously expensive and it creates trash to recycle for no reason!! Drink water.
  • designsbymlg
    Options
    Lifting up a prayer for you now! You can do it.... but maybe not alone ;-)