Nervous…

Options
I just started this program a day ago. Writing on this message board is difficult for me to do since I am really shy and timid. I want to get in shape for my mother, who has pre-diabetes. I am about to graduate from college and move back in with my parents, and I don’t want my unhealthy lifestyle to hurt my mother’s chances of getting better.

I don’t have a lot of support, since most of my friends are either skinny or have no interest in becoming healthy. I also hope that I can motivate my boyfriend to lose weight so that we can grow old together.

I guess I would like to know how other members got started, and for some support.

Replies

• jumpshotxpert
    Options
    Welcome! I just started my work out regimen 2 days ago, my fiance and I are doing it together. Having a parter is definetely a great way to keep motivated. We try to take walks/jogs with our dog as much as possible, mostly before dinner because cardio on an empty stomach is the best way to burn fat. We had a baby a little over a year ago, started working out for a few months, then got lazy. Now that summer is coming up, it's time to bust our butts! Good luck with your weightloss!

Matt
  • MonicaWalls
    MonicaWalls Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I decided that I didn't want to have diabetes, high blood pressure or any of those other issues so I had to take things into my own hands. I have had several surgeries in the last year and I have a chronic illness that's out of my control. This is the only thing that is in my control. Forget about those others because it's all about you! I will send you a friend request on here and my husband and I also have a motivational health and fitness group on FB if you would like to join that. You don't have to say anything, you can just read the posts and hopefully gain motivation if you want :) It's much easier when you have some support!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Welcome abroad Susan. This is a great place for support.... Many people here are very nice and will give their input if asked. You will see many people here that are losing the weight and doing it right. It all comes down to how bad do you want it. Feel free to add me if you like. I am not on as much as I use to but I do try to give great feedback if I can.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    First off welcome to the site. :) For me it has been about portion control and more exercise (as compared to the none before). I still eat the things I like, just A LOT less of it. I found from years of yo-yo dieting that if I cut things out completely at some point I end up bingeing on them. I also enjoy working out now, it doesn't feel like torture or punishment like it did at many times in my life. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like to and good luck in your journey. :)
  • tanyakay87
    tanyakay87 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Everything about your post is really touching. I love that you are trying to be a better person for your Mom and also wanting to grow old with your boyfriend. That's very sweet of you!

I would love to be your friend and help you through this. Support is so important abd I honestly believe if you have great friends and motivators, you can do anything! Please feel free to add me and I promise to try my best to encourage you and support you!
  • Mellymel46
    Options
    I got started on MFP at the beginning of the year as part of my new years resolution. I figured it was going to be just like all the other years that I started my weight loss program on Jan 2 and completed my journey by the time my birthday rolled around on the 14th. Well here I am almost 4 months later and almost 25 pounds lighter. This site has changed my life. I did the first month or so without friends but I know I would not still be here if it were not for all my pals Iam accountable to. Add me if you like... Good luck on your journey. This site will change both your mothers and your life if you give it a chance.
  • sheppuh
    sheppuh Posts: 39
    Options
    I don’t want my unhealthy lifestyle to hurt my mother’s chances of getting better.

A person who's that compassionate and considerate has no reason to be nervous on MFP - you'll fit right in!
    As a fellow shy person (computer monitors make me feel far less judged and fidgety than loads of actual people) actually using the message boards was awkward at first. But now it's really a tremendous resource and place for advice and motivation! Don't be afraid to ask questions or even ask for motivation. Everyone on MFP is here to get healthier and tons are more than willing to lend a helping hand - so many of us have experienced a bunch of the unpleasant stuff first hand, after all.
    Welcome!
  • Gerry_Lane
    Options
    Susan,
    We are all here to help each other. Network with people you feel comfortable and educate yourself with scientific evidence. Avoid fads and schemes and this community will help you succeed.

Gerry
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    One of the main reasons I decided to jump into a fitness plan/diet change was because my cholesterol was high enough for medicine and my sugar levels were considered prediabetic at 30!! My father had a double bypass surgery at 35 and my mom was just recently diagnosed with diabetes as well at 52. I decided.. it's not for me.

I had all my blood work tested last month- all normal! :)

Glad ur here!

If I can give you any advice at all... don't read into what people say to much. Choose the advice you take wisely. There's a lot of ignorance floating around. LOL