I feel like there's no point

Options
I Just want to cry. Today is my weigh-in.

I don't understand why Ive now GAINED weight since last week.

don't tell me it's muscle, I'll bite your head off.

I've been dieting now since March 1st. For the last 9 days, I've been logging all food and exercise calories, eating most of what I exercise off. I've been DOING IT. Just like I "should". I don't *forget* to add in that bite of my son's spaghetti-o's. I don't overestimate my workouts.

I really really try.

Last week, I saw the scale finally move. down ONE POUND. so, that was an encouragement. Now. Gee, I'm 2 lbs heavier than last week, officially 1 lb HEAVIER than when I joined myfitness.

There's nothing worse than feeling like you're doing everything right and not seeing any results. I feel hopeless. If I could justify it "well, I haven't really been working out like I should" or "I did have those splurges over the weekend" then maybe I could find the resolve to just "try harder". But there is no "try harder". I've already been DOING IT.

I've lost weight before. It was never hard like this. I just want to cry, or crawl in bed and sleep, or both.

I feel like I hate the world right now.

Replies

• LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I Just want to cry. Today is my weigh-in.

I don't understand why Ive now GAINED weight since last week.

don't tell me it's muscle, I'll bite your head off.

I've been dieting now since March 1st. For the last 9 days, I've been logging all food and exercise calories, eating most of what I exercise off. I've been DOING IT. Just like I "should". I don't *forget* to add in that bite of my son's spaghetti-o's. I don't overestimate my workouts.

I really really try.

Last week, I saw the scale finally move. down ONE POUND. so, that was an encouragement. Now. Gee, I'm 2 lbs heavier than last week, officially 1 lb HEAVIER than when I joined myfitness.

There's nothing worse than feeling like you're doing everything right and not seeing any results. I feel hopeless. If I could justify it "well, I haven't really been working out like I should" or "I did have those splurges over the weekend" then maybe I could find the resolve to just "try harder". But there is no "try harder". I've already been DOING IT.

I've lost weight before. It was never hard like this. I just want to cry, or crawl in bed and sleep, or both.

I feel like I hate the world right now.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Keep it going! You hit a plateau and you have to break through it eventually. Good luck and don't give up!
  • lexi1015
    lexi1015 Posts: 29
    Options
    I know how you feel! But you also need to remember that we are women and trying to loose weight sucks!! I have the same issue with gaining! The only suggestion is don't let it get you down!!
  • bethany_burns
    bethany_burns Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's never going to be easy, and you say you've only been doing this for 9 days? Dude, you have to put in a good 2 months or so before you can really start to get discouraged with no loss. 9 days? Your body is still adjusting to the changes you are making. The most important thing for you to do is GIVE IT TIME! Keep looking forward. If you want to make a real change you should be thinking what things will look like next year, not next week.

Keep your focus on the long term. Even if the scale doesn't move right away you know you are making positive changes for your body. Be patient and you will see results.

MOST OF ALL, HANG IN THERE!!!
  • LonelyPilgrim
    Options
    I haven't been dieting for 9 days, I've been on myfitness for 9 days, there's a difference. I've been dieting for 7 weeks. 7 weeks with no loss. To me, that is not a "plateau" or "just give it time" . To me, there is something wrong with this picture. I know my body from previous weight loss and I know I am doing things right (I just got on myfitness 9 days ago to prove it to myself, to make sure I wasn't missing something, actually LOG the calories and exercise. But I've been DOING it since March 1st).

I ALWAYS lose weight quickly the first couple of weeks, even if it is water weight, I expect to see SOME loss. When mid-march came around and I still hadn't lost ANYTHING, I told myself that I just hadn't waited long enough, to be patient etc.

I know you all mean well, but can you really tell me that if you had changed your lifestyle 7 weeks ago and still weigh within 1 lb of your original weight that you wouldnt' be discouraged?
  • WMayfield
    WMayfield Posts: 19
    Options
    Do you feel or see any changes in your body?? My scale doesn't move down, but I can tell a difference in how my body is starting to look and feel. I try to tell myself that I"m doing this for the long haul--not just to lose 25 lbs.

Don't give up! If you are exercising and eating right, you are taking care of the gift that is your body. Ultimately, that's what we're trying to do.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I would totally be discouraged - not gonna lie to you. Maybe you could set your goals a little higher - say to 1 1/2 - 2 lbs/week and try fewer calories. What are your workouts like? I focus mainly on aerobic activity - I've heard it melts fat away faster. Fast walks for 30 minutes, or, if I'm feeling REALLY ambitious, I'll rotate jogging with walking - 4 or 5 minutes of each at a time. Aerobic workout videos have been good to me, too. I've been at this since Jan 5th - not sure how many weeks that is, but this is my first week without weight loss. My scale reads 1/5 of a pound gone, but I'm not even counting that. My problem for the last week or two has been a decrease in exercise and an increase in uncalculated "bites and nibbles."

Sorry about the discouragement. Keep doing what you're doing - be completely conscious of it all. Mix up the routine - try more protein, more fiber, more dairy, whatever.

If nothing else, be proud of yourself that you've stuck with it even through discouragement! Many people give up after 2 or 3 weeks!:flowerforyou:
  • ladydi
    ladydi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry to hear about that. I would be discouraged too. I had a friend that had a hard time losing weight and she went to her physicians they did some sort of testing on her and figured out that she had a thyroid condition. They gave her meds and a diet plan and she is losing weight now. You might want to go to the doctor. Just a suggestion.
  • tiliquinones
    Options
    What kind of foods are you eating? Are you eating enough fruits, vegetables and fiber. I went through a phase like that before I joined MFP I didn't understand why I wasn't dropping one single pound. I wasn't eating to unhealthy but I did go out to lunch everyday then I read and article that said for some people drinkin coffee might be the reason why they couldn't loose weight. After I read that I stopped drinking the 2+cups per day. I started to see and feel the difference! I also stopped eating out as much as before and added more vegetables to my diet and exercised more than before.

When I was about 5yrs younger I didn't have a lot of trouble loosing weight, but now that I'm 26 I know my body has changed and what I did before to lose weight might not work now.

Just be patient and don't give up. Experiment with your diet or Add a diffrerent exercise to your workout. Hopefully that will help

P.S. Are you keeping track of your measurements? A lot of times you won't see the difference in the scale but you can feel the difference in your clothes! I hit a plateu know, but my pants feel a lot baggier now so I don't feel too bad:wink:
  • readytomove
    Options
    I know people aren't going to like what I have to say, but here goes. I'm a nurse, and I know about your body going into starvation mode and everything, but eating your "exercise" calories just doesn't make sense. It is important to eat enough to make sure to get your nutrients and not to go under 1200 calories, or whatever your body absolutely needs, but.....I spoke to the doctor that I work with (He's a family practitioner) about the "exercise" calories. What I was told that you can eat your exercise calories, but only if you NEED to eat something more, or once you've decided to stop losing weight. Otherwise, all that you are doing is replacing everything that you have worked so hard to lose. The only way that it works the way that it says here is if you are depending on building muscle mass in order to lose weight and to increase your basal metabolic rate. Which is what we all want to do, but you need to actually see some improvement in order to keep going. Especially since muscle weighs more than fat. Remember, success begets success.

I'm bracing myself, because I know that I'm going to get hit with a bunch of negative responses, but it's just something to think about. I'm not saying to NEVER eat your exercise calories, but if you don't have to, why should you? :ohwell:
  • rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was eating my exercise calories at first and not seeing a weight loss either, but once I stopped eating them, the weight started coming off!
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I would be discouraged, too...

As a nurse, you know how a woman's body changes ALL the time. My weight can change up to 3 lbs from one day to the next up or down. (the scale is evil)

There is a post called "the answers to the questions" - perhaps you will find an answer there.

If you really think something's off - maybe you should see your doctor, get your physical if it is due.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • tiliquinones
    Options
    I know people aren't going to like what I have to say, but here goes. I'm a nurse, and I know about your body going into starvation mode and everything, but eating your "exercise" calories just doesn't make sense. It is important to eat enough to make sure to get your nutrients and not to go under 1200 calories, or whatever your body absolutely needs, but.....I spoke to the doctor that I work with (He's a family practitioner) about the "exercise" calories. What I was told that you can eat your exercise calories, but only if you NEED to eat something more, or once you've decided to stop losing weight. Otherwise, all that you are doing is replacing everything that you have worked so hard to lose. The only way that it works the way that it says here is if you are depending on building muscle mass in order to lose weight and to increase your basal metabolic rate. Which is what we all want to do, but you need to actually see some improvement in order to keep going. Especially since muscle weighs more than fat. Remember, success begets success.

I'm bracing myself, because I know that I'm going to get hit with a bunch of negative responses, but it's just something to think about. I'm not saying to NEVER eat your exercise calories, but if you don't have to, why should you? :ohwell:

I complety agree with you!
  • readytomove
    Options
    That makes me feel so much better. I mean, I like the idea of the "exercise" calories so that you know that you CAN eat more if you need to, but you don't have to.

I was really afraid that y'all were going to want to, I don't know, tar and feather me for going against the grain.......:embarassed:

Good luck!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    There is a Point..... A longer healthier life.
    Measurements!!!!
    Do the banks challenge. Stay away from the scale for a month. It helped me a lot. Make sure you are eating all your calories along with the calories you burn exercising. Take full body measurements. It will come off. Stay focused and keep at it. sometimes you have to play around to find out what works for you.
    Good luck and remember you are making huge changes....your overall health. The weight will come off. We are all here for you.
  • LonelyPilgrim
    Options
    To all of you who responded,

I think I eat a good mix of protein/fiber/veggies. I have certainly added a lot more veggies to my menu over the last 2 mo. I also have stopped going out to eat and stopped getting coffee at the coffee stand.

I may have decreased my caffiene intake slightly, but not much, I drink about 6oz in the am and 12 oz in the early afternoon when I hit my slump.

After crying this am, I called my doctor and I have an apt today. I'll ask him about thyroid testing. I dont' know what else to think, lab work-wise, but maybe he will. I've never had thyroid problems, but since I've been through a lot in the last year (difficult divorce, falling madly in love but with baggage, going from working nights as an OB nurse to working days as an ER nurse, buying a house, getting my hormone-secreting IUD removed) maybe something threw my hormones off balance.

As far as measurments, I didnt' take any to begin with and took my first set about 5 days ago, so I'm not going to "remeasure" myself again yet because I think I'll just be disappointed. 5 days isnt' enough time to see changes.

but, my fat pants are the only ones that still fit me, it's not like I'm wearing my skinnier jeans or anything.

The only difference I see is that I "feel" like my abs are tighter,(under the fat) but I'm not seeing any definition or anything.

As for what I do for workouts. I do a cycling class at least once a week (50 minutes group spin) I do a "core conditioning" class once a week. And then I run for at least 30 min 3-4 days a week. I do hills/trails etc. I would exercise more but the 3 days I work, I am leaving for work before 7am and not getting home until 7:30p, and frankly, I just dont' have the time or energy on those days. My son needs homework help,I have to fix dinner, etc.

I have also cut down my wine intake to 2 glasses every 3 days. I know I mabye "should" cut it out completely, but it is one thing I really enjoy. I only allow myself to drink it on days that I've "earned it" from a good workout.
  • GTOgirl1969
    Options

• GTOgirl1969
    Options

I agree too. I never eat ALL my exercise calories..rarely do I end the day with less than 500 calories left over.

Oops...sorry it posted twice:smile:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I know you are frustrated!!! :frown: I would be, too. It's good that you have an appointment with your doctor - hopefully he will have some ideas and can do some tests for you.

My best advice at this point would be to start tweaking. The last time I got stuck at a plateau it was very demoralizing - I was doing everything right! But all of the calorie calculators are just estimates, based on averages. It might be that your needs are slightly different. And the truth is, your body doesn't WANT to lose weight - it wants you to hang on to that extra in case of famine! :ohwell:

How were you eating prior to March 1? Were you generally eating more, or less? Are you often hungry when you stay under your calories, or is it no big deal? How is your energy? You might want to try adjusting your calories by about 300 up or down for a week or so, and see how you feel and what happens on the scale. If no luck, try going the other way (if you subtracted calories before, then try adding them). Start eating breakfast, if you don't already; start drinking more water, if you don't already. Check your sodium intake - if you are eating processed food a lot, try substituting fresh ingredients where you can. Add some strength training (doesn't have to be anything fancy - there are lots of exercises you can do at home with light weights or even canned food - and don't forget push-ups, squats, lunges, etc).

Good luck at the doctor, and with getting past this rough period. If you are eating healthier and exercising, those are positive steps that ARE improving your overall health - no matter what the scale says.
  • ladydi
    ladydi Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I agree with you I do the same thing I dont eat my exercise calories.Unless Im really craving something then maybe otherwise I dont.