Movie popcorn

Options
curds
curds Posts: 201 Member
Hey guys,

movies and restaurants are pretty much a staple date for me and beau, I don't know about you guys but in the Cinemas I've been to you can't bring outside food into the cinema, so I did a quick search and there is some movie popcorn that adds up to 1500 KCAL please say that's some sort of error?

Also what do you guys generally buy at the movies? I'm getting popcorn that's a given! So should I just up my workout? I'm going tomorrow so should I do some extra workouts now and then tomorrow as well?

Thanks

PS: Since the popcorn here doesn't have the same flavour as back home yes I will have a large one and have my BF eat most of it lol

Replies

• fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    the theaters here are AMC and there is a listing under add food for AMC popcorn ... i dont know what size you are eating but 1500 calories sound way off unless its an extra jumbo bucket.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised at the buttered popcorn being so high. I usually get a small popcorn with no butter. I always feel bloated the next day and wish I wouldn't have eaten it, but I know I'll still get it the next time. I don't up my workout, I try to make it fit in with my daily calories as best as I can and continue working out as usual.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Outside food isn't allowed but if you bring a big purse or bag and put your snacks in, no one will check.
  • curds
    Options
    I've only see two so far here cheese and butter popcorn I have no idea how many calories they are and since I'm getting it anyway I guess it doesn't really matter?

We going to a salad buffet after so on the calorie count I'm good.

Its possible I saw 150 KCal or something how much is movie popcorn usually?

I don't know the jumbo size we only have S M L back home and here I think its only S and Couple size. I saw the butter flavour popcorn and it wasn't that much lighter than the cheese flavoured one.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i usually take a cliff builder bar to the theater.
  • curds
    Options
    Popcorn Movie Theatre Extra Butter - Popcorn, Oil-Popped, Salted Extra Butter

That's the one with 1500 Kcal
  • fitby38
    Options
    if you go to add food and enter AMC popcorn it give calories for S M L popcorn
  • fitby38
    Options
    Outside food isn't allowed but if you bring a big purse or bag and put your snacks in, no one will check.

LMAO!!! ^^^ this
  • curds
    Options

Back home they do check especially if they can smell it, I have had food confiscated more than once but I still tried to sneak in things that I like that was just a ridiculous price to pay or if I knew they didn't stock it.

Here I think I will get away with it because usually they avoid speaking to foreigners. Although since here's nothing I want to sneak into the cinema that doesn't help lol.
  • curds
    Options
    I don't know what AMC popcorn is?

I checked the movie popcorn because I know movie popcorn has way more calories than the bag version.
  • todietfor
    todietfor Posts: 48
    Options
    I don't know what AMC popcorn is?

I checked the movie popcorn because I know movie popcorn has way more calories than the bag version.

AMC is a chain of movie theaters. Might be regional. So the AMC popcorn listing is from that chain.

I think it depends--obviously not adding the liquid butter or any additional seasonings helps keep it down, but the problem for me is portion control. Sometimes I buy a small and dump half out immediately (portion control is one of my biggest challenges and if it is all there, I'll eat it all).

Depending on the theater, you can do what others have suggested and pop fat-free at home and pack it with you.
  • superdonna
    superdonna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use the AMC one even though thats not our theaters here...I dont put any added stuff on it. A medium popcorn right now please!
  • curds
    Options
    Oh well I'm in Asia so I assume they will use their own chain, aaargh even if its 1500 KCAL I'll chalk it I'm to having a bad day :(

I doubt it though seeing as I'm usually reminded about how healthy the food is here, that and everyone is on a diet.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

yep...i always do this. some may frown upon it, but the prices the theaters charge are outrageous anyways!
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    I used to get popcorn at the movies... not anymore. I got a small popcrn with butter ate it all and when i left I had a big grease stain on my pants both legs, where the popcrn had satin my lap. grossed me out. Now I just eat before I go in. and skip the snacks usually just chew on a piece of gum. The ticket is so pricey dont want to drop another 10 or more on snacks plus I am afraid to buy a drink because I don't want to pee and miss anything
  • curds
    Options
    I used to get popcorn at the movies... not anymore. I got a small popcrn with butter ate it all and when i left I had a big grease stain on my pants both legs, where the popcrn had satin my lap. grossed me out. Now I just eat before I go in. and skip the snacks usually just chew on a piece of gum. The ticket is so pricey dont want to drop another 10 or more on snacks plus I am afraid to buy a drink because I don't want to pee and miss anything

LOL, I hold it but I have made the mistake of going to watch 120+ minute movie with a large fanta orange before! I seriously don't know why I use to bother with buying the large stuff I never finish it and I wouldn't take it home.
  • Package02
    Package02 Posts: 97
    Options

yep...i always do this. some may frown upon it, but the prices the theaters charge are outrageous anyways!

Agreed. A bottle of water at my local theater is 6 bucks. Walk across the street and I can get that same bottle of water at the gas station for a buck.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Our theatre is called Harkins, and when you search their popcorn, even the extra large bag doesn't come near that.

Get the large popcorn with your beau, then ask for a smaller bag or something to dump in to.

Take a reasonable portion for you, eat it slowly, and do not stick your hand back into HIS portion. Oh, and of course, don't add "butter topping"

I also avoid the flavored salts they provide at our theatre. It shoots my sodium through the roof and my fingers get all puffy :-)

p.s. We go to the Dollar Store on our way to the movie and if hubby wants a box of candy, I smuggle it in my big purse. Sometimes I'll go for the diet soda (cuz we have the $1 loyalty cup), but I'll often also smuggle in my reuseable water bottle in my big purse. We figure that we are paying to see the movie.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • curds
    Options
    Thanks Toaster Lisa,

I will smuggle some strawberry juice in and chocolates. I might have to go looking for popcorn tonight though to smuggle that in! I found out the cinema name and did a search and half bag of fat popcorn is 353, I'm a lil concerned as to what they mean when they say FAT though *shiver*.

Oh and the cinema doesn't have seasoning as you buy it with the seasoning already on it.
  • conniecusimano
    conniecusimano Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Looooove me some movie theater popcorn. But nowadays, snacking healthy will set you up for a great no guilt movie night. So instead of blowing it with popcorn, go ahead and prepare with carry in the big purse snack of something better for you.
    NJ you will be able to look yourself in the mirror the next morning. And smile.Sms