My calorie count. Please advise.

Options
My current BMR is about 1,900 calories and I have my activity level set to active. It was previously set to sedentary because I sit at a desk most days, but some suggested that I change it because I work out 5-6 days a week.

So, now MFP is allowing me 1900 a day, which I read as 1,900 BMR + 1000 Activity above sedentary - 1,000 for 2lb/wk loss.

With exercise, this is how the MFP calcs play out:

+1,900 BMR
+1,000 Activity Level
+1,000 Exercise
-1,000 2lg/wk loss

2,900 Allowed with my exercise.

It seems to me that I'm double counting my exercise calories this way. Or does the exercise increase energy expenditure above BMR outside of the time I'm actually doing it.

Please help.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Take BMR and multiply by 1.5.
    Take that number and subtract 20%.
    This is what you eat on a cut.

Protein and fat 30% each.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Oh! Don't eat back anything.
  • lincolnpalmer
    lincolnpalmer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So, roughly

2,000 x 1.5 = 3,000
    3,000 X .8 = 2,400

if I exercise, 1,000, this nets me about 1,400.

Is that right?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My current BMR is about 1,900 calories and I have my activity level set to active. It was previously set to sedentary because I sit at a desk most days, but some suggested that I change it because I work out 5-6 days a week.

So, now MFP is allowing me 1900 a day, which I read as 1,900 BMR + 1000 Activity above sedentary - 1,000 for 2lb/wk loss.

With exercise, this is how the MFP calcs play out:

+1,900 BMR
    +1,000 Activity Level
    +1,000 Exercise
    -1,000 2lg/wk loss

2,900 Allowed with my exercise.

It seems to me that I'm double counting my exercise calories this way. Or does the exercise increase energy expenditure above BMR outside of the time I'm actually doing it.

Please help.

Correct, you are double counting your exercise. You need to either include it in your activity level and don't eat anything extra or leave it out of your activity level but add it (and eat those cals) when you exercise - the second way is the way MFP is designed.

Personally I don't think it matters which way you choose as long as you are eating more when you exercise and you only count the exercise once. Pick the one you like and stick with it!
  • nalvarado1
    Options
    This is the exact same thing I am wondering about. Everyday that I log in it tells me I'm under calories. I don't want to cause my metabolism to slow down. But I also don't feel hungry or weak.

An example of today's daily summary looks like this:
    Goal: 1200
    Food: +948
    Exercise: -551
    Net: 397
    Calories remaining: 803

I'm just not quite getting this. Could someone please explain how it works. My BMR is 1500 and I'm active. I workout 6 days a week by running and strength training.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    This is the exact same thing I am wondering about. Everyday that I log in it tells me I'm under calories. I don't want to cause my metabolism to slow down. But I also don't feel hungry or weak.

An example of today's daily summary looks like this:
    Goal: 1200
    Food: +948
    Exercise: -551
    Net: 397
    Calories remaining: 803

I'm just not quite getting this. Could someone please explain how it works. My BMR is 1500 and I'm active. I workout 6 days a week by running and strength training.

Put it this way - is it healthy to eat only 397 calories per day (no exercise)?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    1000 calorie burn a day is a bit excessive.
    Just pick things up and put them down but in an efficient strength building 5x5 way.
    Like Stronglifts.
    www.stronglifts.com