How to get rid of the dreaded lower belly "pooch" - ladies??

Options

Replies

• PandaHerber
    PandaHerber Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing and I appreciate all the info! I def know that a bunch of crunches is not the way to get rid of it. I've never been an overly big girl, I topped out at a size 8, so I don't think it's loose skin.... so just got to keep burning up that fat!! I'm thinking I may do Jillian's DVD's this summer. I'm training for a 10k now and doing boot camp so I'm sore several days a week. But after my 10k I want to train for a half marathon, so may be time to start incorporating new strength training.

However I have heard great things about Pilates - so I may have to start incorporating that more, even if only 1 or 2 days a week.

Add me if you've got more ideas or want to support each other as we work off our "pooch".
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing and I appreciate all the info! I def know that a bunch of crunches is not the way to get rid of it. I've never been an overly big girl, I topped out at a size 8, so I don't think it's loose skin.... so just got to keep burning up that fat!! I'm thinking I may do Jillian's DVD's this summer. I'm training for a 10k now and doing boot camp so I'm sore several days a week. But after my 10k I want to train for a half marathon, so may be time to start incorporating new strength training.

However I have heard great things about Pilates - so I may have to start incorporating that more, even if only 1 or 2 days a week.

Add me if you've got more ideas or want to support each other as we work off our "pooch".
    Tip!
    Did you know doing allot of cardio, especial long runs will cause you to hold water, due to inflammation from muscle trauma.
    Which in turn can mask fatloss :wink:
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you but I was over weight all through high school then in my early 20's will all the activity I ended up under weight at 91 lbs and still had a belly pooch a family friend used to say I had a French belly . . . . . . . I think that was meant to make me feel better but now you can imagine my belly pooch more like a duvet cover as I am now 213.8 lbs but I have lost 28 lbs and still going down at 57 I don't have much hope of getting rid of my belly pooch but will have a damn good try
  • cldarnell17
    cldarnell17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    P90X!!! The Ab Ripper X and Core Synergistics DVDs totally helped with my belly pooch. And I have had 2 babies!!
  • bray2160
    bray2160 Posts: 12
    Options
    Personally for me, I would much rather prefer a workout set like P90X. It's a physical product that consists of 13 dvds,nutrition guides and calendar. I like it because it's convenient and this is one of the few products where I've seen consistent results. I lost 30 pounds in 2 months. I could have lost more but I was a bit lazy. For those of you who are interested, I happen to know where you can get P90X at a deep discount of $65. Check out http://www.squidoo.com/where-can-i-buy-p90x that lens will direct you to the P90X for $65
  • JTHRONES
    JTHRONES Posts: 75
    Options
    bump. Pooch sucks!
  • kathiemcn
    kathiemcn Posts: 96
    Options
    Does anyone think that bike riding would help???
  • bbwalke
    bbwalke Posts: 1
    Options
    Check out Theresa Tapp. Specifically her idea of putting "organs in place." It really does work to get that flat lower belly. Her stuff is scientifically sound. I have been using her Basic Workout Plus for years. Good Luck!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    So first the disclaimer, you can't spot reduce, so lose fat and it will go slowly.

That said personally for me the lower belly was always an issue and I talked to my PT about it an he made me a programme that focused on reshaping the front wall of my stomach muscles (which were weak from bad posture), which included a lot of exercises that were actually focused on my pelvic floor muscles (which is hilarious and when I did them at the gym it looked like I was barely moving ) haha.

Anyway all I can see is my stomach is significantly flatter and my posture much better after about a month of these I started noticing real improvements and I can't wait till my next cut to see the real difference :)
  • dany_m
    dany_m Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Running definitely helps. Since I started running again I have noticed an improvement after only 3 weeks. But it's a slow progress and the best thing is if you do a combination of things, i.e. eating healthy, weight lifting (compound moves) and cardio. I don't think that biking helps because I have biked all my life and never felt any improvement. I still have a very long way to go, but won't give up!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My "pooch" has flattened dramatically in the last 4 days. I cut back significantly on refined sugar and wheat and added a probiotic supplement. Any time I do that, it reduces my belly bloat/pooch very quickly. May not work for all, but I think diet and genetics are the major factors. I've had 4 kids and I didn't get a pooch until after the 4th kid. And it wasn't the kids, it was me overindulging.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    another bump!!!
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I wonder if pelvic floor exercises would help ?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    lift heavy
    eat clean

a lot of money and a great plastic surgeon :laugh:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Aerobic exercise (running, dancing, etc)
    Reverse Crunches
    Plank
  • jessienicole05
    jessienicole05 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!! One of my biggest trouble spots!! :grumble:
  • kristibag81
    Options
    I have this problem too. I have two kids ages 4 and almost 2. I've lost about 20 pounds since last summer. The crazy part is that I can wear a size 8 on my hips/legs, but they won't button over the pooch. So, I have to wear a 10 which is really a little big for my hips/thighs. SO ANNOYING!

Thanks for posting...hoping to get more information from reading all the responses! :)
  • Tracyfishcarp
    Options
    bump
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Moderate calorie deficit (250-400), heavy lifting, and time.

^^^this

mine is going away, slowly but surely

This + 2 days moderate cardio and HIIT 2 days and remebering it isn't MAGIC... It doesn't just happen.. you work your *kitten* off for it !!!!!
  • leika79
    leika79 Posts: 114
    Options
    bump