starvation mode

Options
I was watching the show WIFE SWAP and there was one woman that was on there had her family eating raw meat, raw eggs and drinking raw milk and kefir from their farm.
Anyhow-the woman made them eat every 4 hours saying the body goes into starvation mode if it goes without food for anything longer.
The woman woke up her husband and kids in the middle of the night and made them drink kefir so their body wouldn't think it was starving.
Here's part of the episode that was on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ppkoy0M4OA
(FYI-"high meat" is raw meat that is 3 or 4 months old! :sick: )
I had always heard that about the 4 or 5 hours--but the thing is-I thought sleep time was exempt from that.........
Is she correct or is she over the top with that??

Replies

• kankan213
    Options
    Definitely over the top. You do not need to wake up to eat in the middle of the night, actually it is harder for your body to digest while your sleeping and it can disturb your sleep! A lot of people shouldn't even eat before bed because it will disturb their sleep.

As for starvation mode, your body is incredibly complex and that term is thrown around an awful lot. If you are eating regularly and not cutting too many calories (going under 1200 a day) your body will more than likely not go into starvation mode, although there are many factors that play into it.

But based off the other things you mentioned, that lady sounds like a looney toon.
  • krizti_kat
    Options
    i've seen that episode. i think that family is a bit over the top. if your body really HAD to eat every 4 hours then we'd naturally wake up on our own. i believe that sleep is the time for the body to heal and renew itself without having to deal with the difficult process of digestion.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'll have to watch the video when I get home, but I'm sure my body would go into starvation mode if I had to eat raw meat and raw eggs. :sick: I'd be throwing up everything and then my poor body WOULD go into starvation mode. :huh:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I was watching the show WIFE SWAP and there was one woman that was on there had her family eating raw meat, raw eggs and drinking raw milk and kefir from their farm.
    Anyhow-the woman made them eat every 4 hours saying the body goes into starvation mode if it goes without food for anything longer.
    The woman woke up her husband and kids in the middle of the night and made them drink kefir so their body wouldn't think it was starving.
    I had always heard that about the 4 or 5 hours--but the thing is-I thought sleep time was exempt from that.........

I wish I could go completely raw with my diet..................you get so much more nutrients from meat, veggies and fruit with it raw than when things are cooked.....

I do raw eggs, but they are mixed in with pumpkin, heavy whipping cream, pumpkin pie spice.

But the starvation mode thing - she is way over the top. I have been doing some reading that uses IF (intermittent fasting) and says that starvation mode is just a myth.
  • twilight1542
    Options
    But based off the other things you mentioned, that lady sounds like a looney toon.

I agree. Although I understand the concept of a "raw food" diet I think a line should be drawn at raw meat. With all we know about the bacteria that is in raw meat why would any sane person risk eating it raw?????
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    I'm really hoping that woman disinfected her meat and eggs. @_@!
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options

I agree. Although I understand the concept of a "raw food" diet I think a line should be drawn at raw meat. With all we know about the bacteria that is in raw meat why would any sane person risk eating it raw?????

Girl I know right wtf:grumble: :laugh:
  • twilight1542
    Options

Is there actually a way to "disinfect" meat????
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I think that if they are using farm raised meat that came from their own source and not commercially "raised or grown" meat from a farm factory, then I personally feel it would be safe to eat.

If I could get past the texture of raw meat, I would adopt a raw lifestyle myself. :bigsmile:
  • Briannah
    Options
    I hope she disinfects them too... YUK, thinking about the bacteria that could be on those things raw :sick: that is nasty!!!!!!
  • kankan213
    Options
    I could absolutely never eat raw meat besides fish. It is terrifying! I like my steak rare though!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Vinegar? It's a disinfectant... but... I dunno.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Vinegar? It's a disinfectant... but... I dunno.

That would be cooking/pasteurizing :sick:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :noway: :laugh: :noway:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I hope she disinfects them too... YUK, thinking about the bacteria that could be on those things raw :sick: that is nasty!!!!!!

You guys don't know what your missing!!!

There is nothing like a farm egg, straight from the chicken to the skillet!!!!!!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

You guys don't know what your missing!!!

There is nothing like a farm egg, straight from the chicken to the skillet!!!!!!
    to the skillet yes! then it's cooked :happy:
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think God actually had a plan. If we needed to wake up to eat every four hours, He would have made us that way. Our bodies are beautifully and wonderfully made. Listen to your body and be good to it. It will likely respond in kind.

That woman is obviously a nut. Try turning off the TV. There are some great books out there. :wink:

Susan
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

yes...

subject it to high temperatures until all bacteria have been killed.
    LOL otherwise known as cooking.

salmonella anyone?
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    sushi!!! without the rice.

Actually if i eat sushi without rice for a month.. i would lose 26 lbs don't have to weight until xgiving :laugh:
    (j/k/)

Actually I do read somewhere that the body rebuilds muscle while we are sleeping..
    so have casein powder drink or a glass of milk before sleeping was suggested
    Options

I wish I could go completely raw with my diet..................you get so much more nutrients from meat, veggies and fruit with it raw than when things are cooked.....

I do raw eggs, but they are mixed in with pumpkin, heavy whipping cream, pumpkin pie spice.

But the starvation mode thing - she is way over the top. I have been doing some reading that uses IF (intermittent fasting) and says that starvation mode is just a myth.

Eggs are something you actually do need to cook to make the nutrient biotin more bioavailable. Not everything is better raw.