Question about lean body mass

Options
qtiekiki
qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
I was thinking if I have too little lean body mass. I am 5'3" and 108 lbs. I don't know my body fat %, but I would guess around 22%. So that would mean that my lean body mass is only around 84 lbs. That seems low, no? I google about essential lean body mass, but couldn't find anything.

Here are some pictures to gauge my body fat %. Second pic is pretty blurry, but it's more of a full body pic.
2qjirdt.png
14jqjc1.jpg

I am not trying to lose weight. I had been this weight since HS.

Replies

• theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Your BF% might be lower than 22%, actually. You can estimate it using online calculators (there have been links posted all over the forums -- I'll see if I can find one) by inputting your measurements (waist, hip, neck, that sort of thing). You look phenomenal, by the way.
  • qtiekiki
    Options
    Actually all the online calculators had given me 24% or over.
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    No specific info for you at this point, but want to second @theoriginalja - you have a phenomenal body!!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Your BF% might be lower than 22%, actually. You can estimate it using online calculators (there have been links posted all over the forums -- I'll see if I can find one) by inputting your measurements (waist, hip, neck, that sort of thing). You look phenomenal, by the way.

I agree. Mine is playing at 19-21% but I don't think that I look that cut. However BIA says I'm 25% (affected by hydration) & online calulators give me around 22-24% but I know that those are pretty inaccurate since they only depend on your measurements & level of hydration greatly affects your BIA measurements. I suggest having it measured by a professional using calipers. Although its not accurate either but at least that is the closest one next to the golden standard methods.
  • noteve
    noteve Posts: 57
    Options
    Oh my, you look amazing. I doubt your fat% is that high. You should try having a professional measure it with one of those things, it's much more accurate:

1286811768072_hz-cnmyalibaba-web2_3918.jpg
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Have it professionally done either by callipers or the bod pod. I think online calculators are a joke bc they can't measure the water weight etc and are not a true representation of BF. FYI I'm 5'2 115 lbs and I'm at 19% and not near as cut as you do you maybe a lil lower. You look awesome!
  • qtiekiki
    Options
    I don't go to a gym, so I am not sure where to find someone to measure me with the calipers. I found a place for bod pod that charges $65, so I will see since it's not cheap.

But does anyone know if there is an essential amount of lean body mass? or what is the average, normal or good amount to have?

At 18% body fat, my lean body mass would be 88.56 lbs, and it would be 91.8 lbs at 15%. I don't think I am as low as 15% though.

Thank you.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I know Bod pod isn't cheap - but I think that could be helpful.

Re: your question about essential amount of LBM - it is all dependent on overall size. You are 5'3" so I would have thought slightly higher amount, but at 108 lbs (low weight for that height), ~85-90 seems about right. i would not be surprised if you were 15-18%

**EDIT - i would say that you are on the "low-to-mid" range of LBM for your height, but on the "mid-to-high" range based on your weight.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    In my honest opinion, your body fat is WAY less than 22%. I'm 5'3'', 104-106 lbs, and I am about 20%. You look way, way, way, more muscular than I am. In fact, I look flabby compared to you
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The online calculators are probably giving you high estimates because they are measurements of your waist, hips, etc. You clearly have a lot of muscle. That is probably skewing the results
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym, so I am not sure where to find someone to measure me with the calipers. I found a place for bod pod that charges $65, so I will see since it's not cheap.

But does anyone know if there is an essential amount of lean body mass? or what is the average, normal or good amount to have?

At 18% body fat, my lean body mass would be 88.56 lbs, and it would be 91.8 lbs at 15%. I don't think I am as low as 15% though.

Thank you.

For women, at least, I'm pretty sure body fat is actually more important. If you go too low or too high on the body fat, you start screwing with your hormonal balances and reproductive system function (ie - if it's too low, you stop having your periods and can't get pregnant, because your body doesn't have the fat stores to handle it). Your lean body mass is made up of the parts of your body that aren't fat, so bones, organs, and muscles. You can't grow your organs or your bones in size, but you can grow your muscles and increase bone density through good strength-building workout routines.

Here's a chart for BF% ranges:

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

If you're worried about your lean body mass levels, start a heavy lifting program such as StrongLifts, or advanced bodyweight training like You Are Your Own Gym. As a woman, you won't bulk up (we don't have the testosterone to support bulking up like guys do), but it will help you build what you have and how you can and make your great body look even better. :)

If you do do that, make sure you start eating at least at maintenance, or even a surplus, to help your body get the nutrients and fuel it needs to the building that it can.
  • qtiekiki
    Options
    Thanks for the input.

Not quite sure what exactly is my concern. I just hear people saying "oh that's too skinny for that height.", and my weight is on the low end of the healthy BMI for my height. I think my BF% is ok, so my logic leads me to think that if my weight is "too skinny" for my height then does it mean my lean body mass is too low. Is that the right logic? Or is it fuzzy logic? LOL.
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what your goals are and what type of work you are willing to do to get to those goals. I too think your bf is lower than 22%. I'm at 13.8% and I know this from doing a recent dexa scan. Online calculators were wrong- they would say anything from 18% and higher- they are based on averages and if you fall outside of average, then it will probably be off. Visually though, you look less than 22%.

Having said all of that, I am similar to you- my lbm is just under 90lbs and I am on the low end of the bmi spectrum. I workout doing things I enjoy, I lift weights to give my muscles shape and I eat at least ~2000cals perday. Yes, I might be considered too thin or too small, but this is my natural shape/body type and I'm not going to break my neck trying to change that when I'm happy with my lifestyle and my body. I do try to make sure I eat enough though so I don't lean out even more and shrink! That is my choice though and you need to decide what is right for you! So no, I don't think you can really say what is too much or not enough lbm. I think the real question is, are you content with your body size and how you look? If not, then figure out what your goals are and how to meet those goals.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as 'too skinny for that height', but you're not it! You look fit and fabulous, and I'd be extremely surprised if your BF% is anywhere near 20%.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input.

Not quite sure what exactly is my concern. I just hear people saying "oh that's too skinny for that height.", and my weight is on the low end of the healthy BMI for my height. I think my BF% is ok, so my logic leads me to think that if my weight is "too skinny" for my height then does it mean my lean body mass is too low. Is that the right logic? Or is it fuzzy logic? LOL.

As a couple of other posters have mentioned - its really your BF% you need to be concerned about (make sure its in the healthy range which yours is).

If you are happy with your asthetics - do not worry about it as you have a healthy BF%. You are looking absolutely fantastic by the way.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input.

Don't put too much stock into the BMI. It's not really made for individuals, and tends to fall apart on people with a low body fat percentage (ie - according to the BMI, people like Arnold when he was still bodybuilding, or Shaq who at the time of the article I found had 13% body fat, are morbidly obese).

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149807,00.html

As for people's comments, I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in them, either. If it does matter to you, it might help to get more information from them. Find out what makes them think you look too skinny. Additionally, the advanced strength stuff will help remedy that, as well, as it will tone your muscles and make you look more fit and might reduce the "too skinny" impression.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I also agree you are not 21% - unless you do a true scan/bod pod kind of thing you won't know for certain. The calipers aren't extremely accurate.

I'd venture to say 17% range.
  • qtiekiki
    Options
    Ok. That helped me put things in perspective. I just wasn't sure if LBM is a concern when BF % was ok. I am happy with my body. It's better than my body pre-kids, except for loose skin and I accepted that.

No one IRL had told me that I was too skinny. I just hear it on MFP sometimes. Like, when someone my height, who weighs a few pounds more, talks about want to lose the jiggle, some responses would be you are almost too skinny for your height or you would be too skinny if you lose more weight. That's what got me thinking about it, as I am adjusting my goals. My current goal is to work on my back muscle, so I can do a pull up.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ok. That helped me put things in perspective. I just wasn't sure if LBM is a concern when BF % was ok. I am happy with my body. It's better than my body pre-kids, except for loose skin and I accepted that.

No one IRL had told me that I was too skinny. I just hear it on MFP sometimes. Like, when someone my height, who weighs a few pounds more, talks about want to lose the jiggle, some responses would be you are almost too skinny for your height or you would be too skinny if you lose more weight. That's what got me thinking about it, as I am adjusting my goals. My current goal is to work on my back muscle, so I can do a pull up.

girl.....what loose skin? If you have it I sure as h*ll can't see it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think you look great. I'd guess your body fat percentage to be around 18%.

But there's nothing wrong with wanting to gain more lean body mass (i.e. muscles). Lift weights, eat a lot.