StrongLifts 5 x 5

Options
nz_deevaa
nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
I've downloaded the StrongLifts 5 x 5 App for my phone and started it last night.

It started me at 20kgs for Squats and Bench Press and 30kg for the Barbell Row.

The Bench press was much too easy for me, I was able to do all 25 in a row at 20kg.

In fact I know I am able to do 3 x 8 Bench Presses at 60kgs.

Can I move my weight up for Bench Press (and the Row) to 40 or 50kg, but leave the weight lighter on my squats (as I am recovering from knee surgery). Or is the idea of the program that you have to make over all progress at a steady rate?

Any other females doing StrongLifts?

Replies

• spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You can bump the weight up on the individual lifts, but the point of starting light on everything is to make double, triple sure you have the form down before you add a ton of weight and end up hurting yourself.

So if you're sure of your form, go ahead and add the weight, otherwise keep practicing and adding 5lbs a session as prescribed.

And I'm a female doing SL 5x5. :) Taking a break from squats because of one of those crazy injury things.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Thanks, I'm happy that I'm allowed to do squats again, but I don't want to damage my knee again so I'll build my squats up slowly.

I do bench presses with my PT once a week, and he's happy with my form.

I've not done the Pendlay Rows with my trainer though, so maybe I should start slowly on those too.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm happy that I'm allowed to do squats again, but I don't want to damage my knee again so I'll build my squats up slowly.

Good plan. That's how I pulled my hip flexor, by adding way too much weight way too fast. Regretting it now that I'm sitting out squats for the foreseeable future.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, I hope it heals quickly.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Any other advise?
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    Oh, thanks :)