What's in your Shopping Trolley!!

Options
I got this in an email and thought I would share it!

What's in your shopping trolley?
It goes without saying that the foods you select at the supermarket will have a big impact on your body shape. If there's foods you need to eat more of, and foods you need to eat less of, then it helps to be organised when you enter a place offering thousands of choices. Plan your meals and make a list. Focus on fresh food, and avoid the junk aisles (soft drinks, chips, biscuits). And finally (it's an oldie but a goodie) don't shop when you're hungry.

Be well

Andrew Cate
www.andrewcate.com

Replies

• CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I got this in an email and thought I would share it!

What's in your shopping trolley?
    It goes without saying that the foods you select at the supermarket will have a big impact on your body shape. If there's foods you need to eat more of, and foods you need to eat less of, then it helps to be organised when you enter a place offering thousands of choices. Plan your meals and make a list. Focus on fresh food, and avoid the junk aisles (soft drinks, chips, biscuits). And finally (it's an oldie but a goodie) don't shop when you're hungry.

Be well

Andrew Cate
    www.andrewcate.com
    I was quite proud of myself when I did my big shop last week. I bought mostly fresh fruits and veggies, hummus, whole wheat buns, and I stayed far away from the junky inner aisles!
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I always expect to get a weird look when I go grocery shopping because my husband eats total crap, and I eat much healthier. I end up buying grapes, pineapple, cantaloupe, berries, yogurt, and the like for myself. For him, there's Moon Pies, Nilla Wafers, and whatever other random unhealthy food he's currently obsessed with. My favorite was last week when I bought 30 Day Shred at the same time as 3 boxes of Moon Pies. :laugh:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I shop online and get things delivered as I'm wheelchair user and its easier so I have to work out my meals anyway and what ingredients I will need for the month.

I get salad and fruit some fresh veg carrots cos i like grated in salads and carrot sticks with hummus but also have some mixed veg in freezer. A cauli cos I do cauli rice then portion it into boxes and freeze to go with curries or in place of pasta/cous cous.

Peppers, onions and mushrooms too.. these don't last as long so again I cook them up in patches in either a tomato sauce or a curry sauce then all I need to do is defrost the meat and cauli rice and I have a meals for the end of the month and know what's gone in them. Sometimes I bag some up with no sauce and they may be used in an omelette or stir fry style dish mixed with other frozen veg such as broccoli.

I always have frozen fish fillets, chicken and turkey breasts (plain) in the freezer. A couple of bags of Quorn mince that's also cooked up in batches when I have fresh mushrooms/onions etc to make a spag bol type sauce. Occasionally I buy proper meatballs if they are on offer but red meat costs more and tends to be higher in fat.

My basket is also an unsual combination cos then I have chocolate in it too for when I have the cravings, a multipack of crisps, packet of wheat free biscuits or GF brownies, ocasionally a box of choc ices.. lol!.. and sometimes a bottle of brandy and some cans of coke! :laugh:
  • katiedidd66
    Options
    I tend to stick to the outer perimeter of the store where In just a stroll around the outer aisles I can find fruits, veggies, fresh meats and fish, dairy, eggs, etc. It's when I begin to stroll up and down each aisle I find myself making poor choices.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I always expect to get a weird look when I go grocery shopping because my husband eats total crap, and I eat much healthier. I end up buying grapes, pineapple, cantaloupe, berries, yogurt, and the like for myself. For him, there's Moon Pies, Nilla Wafers, and whatever other random unhealthy food he's currently obsessed with. My favorite was last week when I bought 30 Day Shred at the same time as 3 boxes of Moon Pies. :laugh:
    LOL
  • tarnbop
    tarnbop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I tend to shop online as it means I am not tempted by naughty things or even offers.
    When I do g to the supermarket, I do tend to wander but take pride in telling myself no and sticking to it :D
  • rockette7
    rockette7 Posts: 18
    Options
    I find it much easier to stay away from the junk now I go with a list. Plus, there is a certain smug satisfaction of unloading a trolley load of healthy yummies onto the conveyor belt. Or maybe that's just me.

I've banned myself from the aisles where crisps, sweets and chocolate lives. Although actually, a miracle occurred the other night. I went to do my shop, and decided that to reward myself for not dying doing the 30 Day Shred, I'd get some good quality dark chocolate to keep in the fridge for mini chocolate hits. I stared at the display for a while, and found that I actually didn't fancy it all, and walked away. I gave myself permission to buy chocolate and then didn't want it.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to stay away from the junk now I go with a list. Plus, there is a certain smug satisfaction of unloading a trolley load of healthy yummies onto the conveyor belt. Or maybe that's just me.

Agreed, list list list!! There's nothing worse than wandering aimlessly round the supermarket wondering what you need and what to have for meals. I have a list of things I need for all my meals taped in my cupboard door and I make a list from that of anything I'm running out of. That way I can go straight to the relevant section of the supermarket and get just what I need.

Now if only the supermarket would quit re-arranging the layout and leave things where they were :grumble:
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It's strange when I go shopping too, hubby and I get heaps of fresh fruit and vegges which is what we both eat and then he gets his lollies, biscuits/cookies and soda's and then when we get home he hides them because they are his. LOL I have never been a lollie or soda person and I can normally leave the cakes and cookies too.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I love the don't shop when you're hungry thing. I always eat before I go to the store and then when I get home and I am snacky I have nothing except fresh fruit, veggies, and nuts and a few dried fruits. So I start pacing around the house opening and shutting the fridge, freezer and cabinets repeatedly until my husband gets nervous and turns on kinect and says "lets play some Kinect until you calm down" lol
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options

LOL!
  • toxicmikki
    toxicmikki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm eating much healthier, it stands to reason that my entire family ( of five) is eating much healthier which makes me feel great that I'm not feeding them all that processed crap and fast food anymore but the thing that really blows me away is how expensive it is to eat healthy fresh whole foods. My weekly shopping total was almost double what it was the week before I started this program. Dont get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just surprised. I found that I spent most of my time in the fruit/veggie section and the meat dept. I didn't want to bring the kids with me in fear of what they would be throwing in the cart when I turned away but next time I think I will bring them so they can help select fresh foods, and maybe make some suggestions about things we can try that we've never tried before.

Being a mother of three and small business owner with very busy days I would normally opt for fast food two or three times a week and my cupboards at home were full of junk and quick fix foods. I feel an amazing difference physically already in myself and knowing that I'm doing a great thing for my family as well really keeps me motivated!
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292
    Options
    i just buy what i want...after i read the label. i just stick to low carb, and eat a lot of grilled chicken...
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Im very thankful that my husband was raised vegan (he now eats meat tho) and doesn't mind having lots of fresh foods in the house. He usually asks for a package of cookies each week and thankfully takes them to work with him. Usually I have loads of produce, bread for my kids, sandwich thins for me, chicken, fish, deli meat, yogurt, eggs, milk and cheese. Then I buy other odds and ends here and there.
  • dlpappas
    dlpappas Posts: 14
    Options
    My husband does the shopping for us so it's always a surprise! Some good, some not so good. Unfortunately since he's retired and I work, he also cooks so he tends to buy a lot of packaged meals. :grumble: But I have gotten him to think healthier so I am able to eat less of the packaged stuff and supplement with veggies and healthier sides. when I do eat bread, it's lite whole wheat or oatmeal. I have found Skinny Cow products which let me have low-calorie ice creams and snacks so I don't feel deprived. :happy: