Anyone else following a low sodium diet? Help!

Options
My Dr. wants to me to keep my sodium under 1500.
I have all my meals planned for tomorrow but in the end I am short on calories by 500, and short on fat, protein, and carbs. I am over my sodium by 5.
I am finding it difficult to find high calorie food and high protein food that is low in sodium.

Help?

Replies

• solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Beans, Nuts, Whole grains like Bulgur or Wheat Berries.
  • teee12
    teee12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    lean meat is meant to have high calorie and low sodium i think, and fish and nuts :)
  • underthecherrytree
    underthecherrytree Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have almonds on the menu for tomorrow, maybe I should eat more?
  • solrak1969
    solrak1969 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, throw away your iodized salt and replace it with Kosher salt. That will cut your sodium intake on foods you cook at home.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't cook with salt, even if the recipe asks for it. You get used to the difference quite quickly.

Use the low sodium salts available in most supermarkets.

If you're low on protein then eat nuts, soys products or meat. Just up the quantities you were planning in your meals
  • alexandradeyl
    alexandradeyl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    fruit, vegetables, grains, brown rice, nuts, seeds, beans
  • ke4zed
    ke4zed Posts: 7
    Options
    I am having the same issue. When I cut back on sodium my calories drop. I continually play with portion sizes to try to get the calories up on low sodium foods. Jif makes a peanut butter with 33% less sodium and sugar.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Pretty much ALL processed and precooked foods have a ton of sodium.
    I would suggest you change your macros in your diary to also reflect potassium.
    Potassium works with sodium to maintain the body's water balance. Make sure you are taking in more potassium than sodium, or in the least, equal parts.
    This is best with whole foods, not a supplement (spinach, lettuce, fruits, veggies, proteins, nuts all all high in potassium, low in sodium).
  • angiereid
    angiereid Posts: 158
    Options
    HELLO EVERYONE MY NAME IS ANGIE AND I AM IN A PICKLE LOL I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH KIDNEY DISEASE SO I HAVE TO IN SHORT PER DR'S ORDERS 1500 OR LESS IN SODIUM AND 60-70 IN PROTEIN WHILE I SEEM TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS I FIND I AM ONLY EATING 1300 AT TIMES AND GOING OVER MY SUGAR ALOT WITH FRUITS AND VEGGIES.
    A TYPICAL BREAKFEAST FOR ME IS GO LEAN KASHI CRUNCH WITH BLUEBERRIES AND COCUNUT MILK
    LUNCH CRUNCHMASTERS GLUTEN FREE CRACKERS WITH HUMMUS, DINNER CHICKEN BREAST 30Z WITH VEGGIE (BROCCOLI, CARROTS GREEN BEANS CORN, ALL FRESH NEVER CANNED) SNACKS HARD BOILED EGG, LARABAR, NANTUCKET BLEND(PISTACHIUS,ALMONDS CHERRIES AND RAISINS DRIED NO SALT) STRAWBERRIES, BANANA ETC REALLY WOULD LIKE SOME INPUT HEAR SO MANY STORIES ABOUT EATING TOO MUCH FRUIT I WANT TO BE HEALTHY I EXERCISE 1-2 HOURS ON ELLIPTICAL DOING INTERVAL TRAINING WITH AN IPHONE APP I LOVE WHICH TYPICALLY WILL BURN UP TO 700 I 1 HOUR CUZ I USE RESISTANCE OF UP TO 20 BUT I ALTERNATE 1-3 MIN LOWER AND HIGHER.
    I WOULD LIKE SOME IDEAS ON WHAT PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THE SUGAR AND SOME GOOD RECIPES
    PLEASE HELP!!!!
    ALSO REALLY HARD TO FIND CHICKEN NOT INJECTED WITH SALT :(
  • greatthursday
    Options
    Not on low sodium but since it makes me bloat soo much I am trying to watch it more. I eat lots of chicken breasts; lean meat tends to have lower sodium content, I think, but be careful. Some supermarkets pump them FULL of sodium. I used to get the bags of frozen breasts but found each breast had about ~400 mg of sodium or something. Costco has (non-frozen) breasts with 40 mg of sodium per serving (4 oz of chicken).

Other tip ... Cook without salt, it is something you can add (sparingly) once the dish is complete. Cooking it into the food kind of masks it.
  • angiereid
    angiereid Posts: 158
    Options
    Not on low sodium but since it makes me bloat soo much I am trying to watch it more. I eat lots of chicken breasts; lean meat tends to have lower sodium content, I think, but be careful. Some supermarkets pump them FULL of sodium. I used to get the bags of frozen breasts but found each breast had about ~400 mg of sodium or something. Costco has (non-frozen) breasts with 40 mg of sodium per serving (4 oz of chicken).

Other tip ... Cook without salt, it is something you can add (sparingly) once the dish is complete. Cooking it into the food kind of masks it.

wish their was a costco here but closest i can get is at rulli brothers its grade a amis chicken breast about 60-75 of salt
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm on self restrictive sodium due to hypertension. I'm set at 1750 and rarely go over. You do need to check the sodium levels of any food you add to your diary. One of my main annoyances with MFP is that people don't seem to know the difference between a g (gram) and a mg (milligram) and so something can say 4 for sodium but it is actually 400mg.

I haven't added salt to my food for over 10 years, but if you do defo try to reduce the amount you do until you have completely cut it out. Watch out for processed food, the levels can be massively high.

Feel free to add me as a friend or at least check out my food diary for ideas :flowerforyou: