6lbs in one week

Options
I have lost 6lbs in my first week of exercise and diet. I know this sort of weight loss cannot be maintained.

a) Is this normal?
b) What can I expect to happen over the next few weeks if I maintain the status quo?

Thanks

jdm120

Replies

• cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    first week loss is almost always high. It is primarily water retention loss and a bit of fat loss. I would guess that your loss will slow down to 1 - 2 pounds now which is what MFP recommends. good luck to you.
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    I have lost 5-6 lbs in my first week before. It will even out, but I would not expect more than 1-2 lbs per week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes it is normal, as its your first week, so it will be a fair bit of water weight. it wont last, and you should expect a pound a week, especially as you dont have a huge amount to lose all together.

bare in mind that 1200 is not a huge amount of cals, and when you get closer to your goal you will need to up your cals. x
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Remember, it takes roughly 3,500 cals to lose 1 lb of fat. Think to yourself "Did i really make a 21,000 calorie deficit this week?"

If not, it'll be "water weight". Your old diet probably had a lot of sodium in it, and thus your body retained water. When you start dieting, and eating healthier, you flush out that water, hence the weight loss.

Second week is notoriously slow, so don't get disheartened, whatever the scales say on week 2. :)