measuring the ARC

Options
I go to Planet Fitness several times a week; and I've just started using the ARC. To measure this, would it be considered "elliptical"? It is a great workout, giving me the extra push (and sweat!) I need.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• coppers2002
    Options
    I was wondering this as well, I was told they burn more calories than the elliptical.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It burns more calories than the elliptical, but it burns less than the machine tells you. I do the arc trainer at PF 4 days a week and was logging the calories it said I burned (I just created my own exercise). Then I got a HRM and realized that the machine was over estimating my burn by about 100-150 calories per workout (40-50 minute workouts).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It burns more calories than the elliptical, but it burns less than the machine tells you. I do the arc trainer at PF 4 days a week and was logging the calories it said I burned (I just created my own exercise). Then I got a HRM and realized that the machine was over estimating my burn by about 100-150 calories per workout (40-50 minute workouts).

How do know it was the machine overestimating and not your HRM underestimating?
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    For now I go by what the ARC tells me I burned and add my own exorcise.

I plan on getting a HRM as soon as finances allow it.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    The arc is most accurate if you actually input your weight on it btw
  • ShannanRenae
    Options
    The ARC is wicked, I love it, I do 45-50 minutes everyday & 15 Mins on the treadmill on the highest incline...it burns way more calories than the elliptical does, I created my own ARC exercise in the Exercise section & I always use the machines log instead of an HRM, I would only use that if I wasnt@the gym...I luv PF!!!! So just create it as an Exercise on MFP & get to logging! Happy Fitness!
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate to own an ARC. I was looking for an elliptical trainer but opted for this instead - one of the best investments I ever made...as long as I actually use it!

Maybe this is different with the home version but I found that when compared with HRM readings the ARC was underestimating calories. I use it for high intensity interval training (HIIT) on the manual setting.

I DO love this machine. When away from home I use the elliptical trainer that is available and find the workout, and impact on my body, is certainly different.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

How do know it was the machine overestimating and not your HRM underestimating?

Because my HRM is set according to my weight, age and gender. The arc trainer isn't. A HRM is more accurate than a machine that doesn't have you enter in all the variables.