nothing to do with mfp but dog owners (poorly dog)

Options
hiya people my dog, a 6 month old chihuahua started throwing up last night (its 10.30 pm in england right now) and was sick 6 times threwout the night.
her shots,worming and treatments are all up to date
anyway took her straight to the vets this morning she was checked for obstruction and nothing could be felt but she has a temperature, she was given 2 rounds of anti sickness shots and 2 sets of oral medicine and instructions to withold food for 24 hours and sent home untiil tommorrow when she goes back to the vets.
she hasnt been sick since but is wretching and visibly still feeling sick
now this is the worrying part in herself shes worse since this morning lying there listless eyes open not even wanting to lay on me which is unusual normaly cant get her off me now could this be no energy due to no food?
.does anyone have any ideas what is wrong or someone whos had a dog who was having the same symptoms and what was it?
basically if shes no better tommorow shes going to be admitted and x-rayed to check for an obstuction that way (incase they missed something when they were doing her examination toda)y but i would love to know if anyone has been something similer and what the outcome was,im worried sick and chewing over what could be wrong anyone exsperiance would help xxx

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I don't know what could be causing the sickness, but in a small breed dog like that, you not only have to worry about dehydration, you need to worry about hypoglycemia. I would personally get her back into a vet, even if it's an emergency vet. It could turn bad very, very quickly. The listlessness is an extremely worrying sign.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I would get the radiographs done ASAP.

Do you use rat poison in your home? Do you know of anything she could have mistakenly eaten? Is she having bowel movements? (Seriously, if she can poop, it's a good sign, no obstruction)

I would also get bloodwork done, a Chem 27 (this looks at electrolites and ALL the blood panels) if you have the money, if you don't have money, at least a PAS (this looks at the basic 7 panels, liver, kidneys etc)

I wish you the best, I have a little chihuahua too.
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    Sorry no idea but I hope your little girly is alright
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    thank you everyone who replied, she has insurance so anything the vet says she needs she has (so glad i got her insured)
    back to the vets this morning and shes been rechecked still no obstuction but been given some special food little and often to get her back to normal and see how she reacts to food in her system,shes still on the medication and seems happier just sleeping alot but she managed the walk to the vets (20 mins)
    shes back in the vets again tommorow to see how she is and if shes improoved continue to give medicine and special diet,if shes no better or continues to throw up they will xray and possibley open her up but hopefully its just gastro
  • jailee813
    jailee813 Posts: 29
    Options
    Sounds similar to what happened to my lil pup... docs assumed she ate something that made her pretty sick, but after it passed through her system, she was fine in about 2-3 days... but it was sure a scare!
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    No advice, but I hope your pup is feeling better soon!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I don't have any idea what could be wrong, but I do hope the your little pup will do better! They are so pitiful when they're sick and we feel so helpless because we can't help!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but I hope she's OK and your vet can sort it out. How scary!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    So sorry I can't offer any advice except to please get your dog back to the vet, it isn't necessarily going to be an obstruction, does it have access to the garden where there might be slug pellets, or a lake where it might have picked up algae?

They can dehydrate so quickly, please don't feel that you are bothering the vet by taking your dog in earlier than your fixed appointment!!

My Cavvie, Pip (pictured) is currently undergoing tests for cancer, I know your concern and worry XXX
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Poor little thing - I hope it's just gastro, my dog gets sick overnight sometimes and is wretched like that and it's always worrying but usually proves to be something she's eaten when she shouldn't! It also sounds a bit like the symptoms for that weird seasonal disorder which has been affecting UK forests, but I think it's too early in the year for that. Might be worth mentioning to the vet if you've been out admiring the bluebells tho. Hope she's better soon :flowerforyou:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you got her back to the vet this morning. I really was worried about her becoming dehydrated and/or hypoglycemic.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Is she allowed to have water? Are you only supposed to with hold food?
  • mamaking2012
    mamaking2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    depending how your dog is maybe a stay at the vets to get some IV fluids..or ask them about a saddle bag..which is where they insert iv to dogs back and fill with solution..it basically is filling dogs skin with the fluid that slowly distributes to the dog...but the area on both sides of spinal cord are filled and looks like little saddle bags..also maybe try some peditlyte for your dog for the ectrolites..sorry i know im misspelling alot right now..but if you have a medicine dispensor..pharmacys usually have them for small kids..just ask for one..i would use this to try to give your dog water or the pedilyte fluid in the mouth just dont squirt it in fast..do it slow so basically your dog has time to drink it without being choked. Good luck..its always hard when its your furry babies are sick.
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    We had a boxer years ago that my grandma thought it would be a treat to give him milk gravy on top of his food. What she didn't know is that boxers have very delicate stomachs. He got so sick and vomited so much we thought he was going to die. It took about 3 days to straighten him out. The special food really helped too.

I hope your little fur baby is going to be ok and I will keep happy thoughts for her. :flowerforyou:
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    can't help but saying a prayer and keeping fingers crossed for your pooch.
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    thank you to everyone that has replied, shes under emergency care so i just have to take her in with any changes for the worse, shes had no access recently to lakes or ponds and we have no slug pellets in our garden and its fenced off tight :smile:
    shes much better today but still keeping a very close eye on her,very very scary to see your best friend suffer like that and not know what it is.
    i dont worry this much when my kids are poorly but they can tell me whats wrong,my dog i have no idea if shes been poisoned or anything.
    shes been to the loo now which is a good sign theres no obstruction so maybe something shes eaten and with kids toys around you cant be too careful with what she may have chewed.

to the person whos having there dog tested for cancer big hugs and really hope its not,you must be worried sick if you ever want to chat im here must be a very difficult time for you
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    Is she allowed to have water? Are you only supposed to with hold food?
    shes was allowed water little and often threwout the 24 hour fast period shes now done fasting and on a teaspoon an hour of a special dog food
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    can't help but saying a prayer and keeping fingers crossed for your pooch.
    [/quote
    thank you :happy:
  • awwwshux25
    awwwshux25 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My girl in the pictures just went through two surgeries for cancer...She is ten years old and now feels so much better she is running around like a puppy again. I hope that yours has the same recovery.
  • staceydeelane
    Options
    My girl in the pictures just went through two surgeries for cancer...She is ten years old and now feels so much better she is running around like a puppy again. I hope that yours has the same recovery.

awe so glad they could do something for your doggie hopefully this gives the other ladie hope that they can recover if it is cancer, so glad you dog is up and enjoying life again,
    this is my 1st dog and the 1st time shes ever had a problem so very scary also not nice seing your dog sad because she knows what happens at the vets, who wants a thermometre shooved there:sad: