Subway

Options
It seems every time I eat there I do not lose any weight. Anyone else have this issue?

I eat a 6 inch turkey breast on honey oat wheat. With veggies and mustard. (Since mustard is low cal). No chips, no pop.

Am I just crazy and trying to link the two together or what?

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Lots of sodium in the subs.
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat at Subway almost daily and never have any problems.

I just googled the sodium counts at Subway and found an article that said they had announced on 4/19 a reduction in their sodium levels - up to 28% in some sandwiches.
  • eprissel
    eprissel Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The only reason you would ever lose weight from eating subway is because 2 hours later you drop it back off where it came from. :)

toilet.jpg
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of factors that might account for not losing weight because of eating there. check this website:

http://www.nutritionix.com/subway/nutrition-calculator

it makes it really easy to customize your sandwich and therefore your calories. the bread might be the culprit. even when your fillings are used sparingly, your calories might still soar.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Subway's bread, let alone the meat, is a sodium bomb. If sodium tends to make you retain water (it does me), then there is your answer. Subway has marketed itself as "healthy" and there are more low cal choices there than at other fast food joints, but health food it is not.
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Not a fan. quiznos is better...and less sodium.
  • okcmomto3
    okcmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. That does make sense!
  • okcmomto3
    okcmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The only reason you would ever lose weight from eating subway is because 2 hours later you drop it back off where it came from. :)

toilet.jpg

To funny!
  • mlbrowninsc
    Options
    If I go to subway I get a salad instead of a sub. However I find it too costly to do on a regular basis. I also agree that Quiznos has better subs, but as I avoid bread during the week, I stay away from both.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Subway's bread, let alone the meat, is a sodium bomb. If sodium tends to make you retain water (it does me), then there is your answer. Subway has marketed itself as "healthy" and there are more low cal choices there than at other fast food joints, but health food it is not.
    And really, you're using the term "bread" loosely there.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Try a salad from there - the bread is probably the culprit. Plus, on the salads, you get less deli meat, which means less sodium.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I loooove subway... but usually my 6 inch sub and baked lays have about 1000 mg of sodium, which can make me retain water. I try to get under 2000 mg of sodium each day and 1000 in one meal can make that tough! ;)
  • nathan72
    nathan72 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If I eat at subway, I lose weight. Their portions are consistent and there are many lower calorie filling options.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    As others have said, their bread is a killer - anything except the Italian - watch the calories on it. Even though there are healthier choices, the sodium and cals go up, up, up. I was just on their site two days ago because I wanted to try the Smokehouse BBQ Chicken. It was NOT worth the cals!!! The only "Good" thing is there is so little meat that you only needed 1/2 of the 1/2 of the bun! I avoid Subway now. They promote "low fat" which doesn't help much if you're mainly watching calories.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ITs the sodium!!!!!!!! When i do go I get the turkey breast on the wheat w/just tomato. Its low cal but high sodium. I dont get chips or soda either. Sometimes I will get the kids meal turkey w/apples and a juice box. I will save the juice for my kids.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I agree on the sodium front - if I have one sodium filled meal I can "put on" 4lbs and it'll take me about 4days to get back to where I started. Moral of the story - avoid sodium :-D xxx
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I don't eat Subway every day, but when I do I make it a salad instead of a carb & sodium-bomb sandwich. My typical Subway order is chicken teriyaki salad with a mix of spinach and lettuce, lots of green pepper, onion, tomato.
    NO cheese
    NO croutons or crackers
    and sweet onion dressing on the side.

Top off with a yogurt and you aid the digestion - but I'd bring your own fat free or low fat yogurt cause Subway yogurt parfaits aren't as healthy as you'd think.
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I used to eat at Subway - but I realized that I could do it healthier and cheaper in the long run - by buying my own stuff. I get Boar's Head Ovengold turkey - chipped; and Land of Lakes Slender cheese (which is 25% less fat - and taste the same as regular cheese).... I throw my own hoagie oil on - some hot peppers and that is it. The total sandwich is about 340 cals for about 8" hoagie.
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    On the site you can 'build your own sub' and it shows all nutritional content so that could help you tweak your sodium if that's what's hindering you.
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    ^^ Plus you have a few days worth..... I get about 4 rolls, I don't eat more than 4 days of sandwiches per month.