Workout but no weight loss?

Options
Does anyone notice that when they first start working out they do not see a change in the scale? Everytime I start working out, I do not drop pounds, which frustrates me to the point that I don't want to do it. I am finally losing and NOT working out. Has anyone had this happen? What did you do to get past it? Please help!

Replies

• cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Does anyone notice that when they first start working out they do not see a change in the scale? Everytime I start working out, I do not drop pounds, which frustrates me to the point that I don't want to do it. I am finally losing and NOT working out. Has anyone had this happen? What did you do to get past it? Please help!

OMG yes. This is exactly what I'm going through right now. I have been doing all different exercises, walking, running, lifting weights, exercise DVDs, etc. NOTHING. I think I gained muscle mass perhaps? As another poster said to me, just keep going and it will shift. Although I have not "lost" this week, my clothes do feel better, which is also important. :)
  • SBerrio
    SBerrio Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The scale is my enemy. Instead this week I noticed that 2 pairs of jeans that didnt go up a couple of weeks ago actually fit me loose AND people have noticed the change.
    don't go crazy with those numbers. THey dont always show all of your hard work!
    :) good luck
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    I only weigh myself on Wednesdays for this exact reason. I get very discouraged if I don't see results and so I have been keeping the scale in the upstairs bathroom, I have to remember I am not just doing this for my weight (hopefully loss) but I am also doing this for my health and for my kids.

Hang in there hunne!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    starting working out = water rentention for up to 3 or 4 weeks I've found. you'll get "heavier" but it isn't fat. Stick with it.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Well, my scale seems to keep going up no matter what I do, but I really think it's muscle because I'm eating right and working out. I'll take muscle anyday. Everyone's right. Stop worrying about the numbers. If you know you look good but you see the numbers going up then it has to be muscle.
  • lizct16
    lizct16 Posts: 12
    Options
    I hear you, I did Jillian's 30 day shred for 3 months and didn't lose 1 pound!!! then I started on this site and restricted my calories, I'm down 4 pounds (without doing excercise) but it is still very slow going, and it is SOO frustrating. I seem to have a very stubborn metabolism and I know the rigt hting to do is the diet and excercise combined, but that's easier said than done. Also, I'm not sure how much weight you are looking to lose but I notice that the people with a smaller amount of weight to lose, lose MUCH slower with those looking to drop 20+ pounds. Just my opinion of course :) I'll be interested to see what other say on this thread.
  • Choosing2baLoser
    Options
    Hi, I just posted a similar topic. I am going through the same thing, but mentally I have to keep telling myself that I am doing the right things and that's all that matters. This is a lifestyle change and exercising is an essential piece. I've decided to start taking my measurements and spending less time on the scale. For example, I gained 3 lbs despite working out and eating right...however, I all my clothes are getting baggy and this morning I was able to pull a pair of jeans off my hips without unbuttoning them. Just last week, I couldn't do that. So, I know my efforts are paying off, just not on the scale...which I know is VERY frustrating.
  • kpwatson
    kpwatson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    And it seems when it comes of it does it all at one time... like a 3 lb loss after not losing at all for a couple of weeks! I have to see that lower number 2 days in a row before I believe it and document it:smile: . Hang in there. The cardiovascular part of it will effect you overall health not just weight loss. I try to remind myself of this when I am not seeing a change in my numbers.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Don't go by just scales. Take measurements and pictures and you will see the progress. Since Jan I've lost 7 lbs which doesn't sound like much but I've gone from being able to wear loose 38 pants I'm now in 34s, inches down everywhere and I LOOK thinner where I need to and thicker where I need to.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    The scale is my enemy. Instead this week I noticed that 2 pairs of jeans that didnt go up a couple of weeks ago actually fit me loose AND people have noticed the change.
    don't go crazy with those numbers. THey dont always show all of your hard work!
    :) good luck
    ^^ This
  • twhit24
    twhit24 Posts: 13
    Options
    Throw that scale away, it's not at all an accurate measure...especially if you've just started working out. Honestly, I've stopped looking at mine since I've been doing P90X. When you are gaining muscle the scale is not your friend...lol!

Here's one of my favorite articles that explain weight gain at the start of a new program. Check it out and see if it may explain what is going on....let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

https://www.turbokick.com/wblog/?p=709
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    your diet is more important. You're probably undereating.
  • chenrytc2
    chenrytc2 Posts: 48
    Options
    Generally speaking, your body composition make-up is changing. What does that mean? Well, you are made up of bones, blood, muscle, fat, etc. You are changing the fat and muscle that are in your body. Muscle weighs more than fat given two equal measurements, e.g. 1 cup. So, 1 cup of fat would weigh less than 1 cup of muscle. When you begin to exercise, you muscles begin to grow and the fat is used. You end up changing your body composition with more muscle and less fat. During the initial start up period, you may not see a change in weight or you may even gain a few pounds. This is because your metabolism hasn't really caught up with your new physical demands. After a few weeks, you will see the pounds (fat pounds) begin to come off. The best way to see if your dieting/exercise progam is working, is to measure yourself with tape. You may not be losing weight, however you may be changing your body composition.
  • cfriend71
    Options
    I am actually glad you posted this and appreciative of all the responses because I was feeling the same way. Let's just keep at it! Go get em girl! :) I'm on my way to the gym now!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. The scale seems to be going up even though I'm lifting 3x a week and doing cardio at least 4x a week.
  • cfriend71
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. The scale seems to be going up even though I'm lifting 3x a week and doing cardio at least 4x a week.

Same here. I think as women we look at the scale A LOT. More than we should probably. I'm going to resist looking for a few weeks and see how it goes.
  • Crissy92385
    Options
    When I originally started I said I wasn't going to weigh myself..... but then I can't help it because i WANT to see results immediately. But the truth is, I am doing this for my health- I don't want to die because I am overweight. That's the truth so I really need to keep focusing on that. Thank you EVERYONE for the responses. It def helps to see I am not the only one!!!!
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Same here. I think as women we look at the scale A LOT. More than we should probably. I'm going to resist looking for a few weeks and see how it goes.

So true. I'm taking pictures and measurements as well. My measurements don't seem to be changing much at all but I feel like I'm getting bigger in my stomach area. So fraustrating.