Exercise Bike

Options
I'm looking into purchasing an exercise bike for when I watch tv. Does anyone have any recommendations in terms of brand, specifications, or whether I should purchase a recumbent bike? I'm young, short, and about 50 pounds overweight, though I run a few times a week for about an hour. I don't have any health issues like bad knees. I'm looking to spend under $200. Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents but I don't like recumbent bikes, they just feel weird and, personally, I'd rather ride a stationary bike that feels more like a real bike.

If you're looking to spend $200 or less you best bet may be to look for a used one. Again, just my opinion but I'd probably look for a spinning bike (unless I could find a used Lemond g-force but those are club quality and mucho $$$)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bike already? If so a trainer is a good option. If not, then get whatever is most comfortable and whatever you are most likely to use.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with Brian. The reclining type bikes don't seem to work up to my standards. The spinning-style bikes are super effective. You can get a spinning bike with electronics to help track resistance, calories, heart rate, etc. This is the type of bike that my gym uses: http://www.exercisebikes.com/upright-exercise-bikes/nautilus-upright-exercise-bikes/nautilusu514uprightexercisebike.cfm and it has really helped me tone up my legs. Hope this helps!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I was very happy with my recumbant bike. I'm flat chested and bulk up pretty fast in my upper body, so all i really wanted was a lower boyd workout.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,666 Member
    Options
    i bike both outdoors and at the gym on a spin bike... i have done recumbent bikes and those hurt my butt!! i can be on a regular bike all day long, but one hour of that other bike.. ouch!. if you have a bike, a trainer like the other person said is a good option. good luck in your search. :0)
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    spin bike - one without all the bells and whistles is about $199. get yourself some spinning videos and you are good to go - awesome calorie burning and you go at your own capability and work your way up.
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love my recumbant bike, too! I am at work, so I can't check the brand, but it has a heart monitor, you can set resistance, calories burned, timer, etc.
  • whatiseenow
    whatiseenow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I have lot to think and research about!
  • shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    spin bike - one without all the bells and whistles is about $199. get yourself some spinning videos and you are good to go - awesome calorie burning and you go at your own capability and work your way up.

Is there a particular brand of the spinning bikes in this price range you would recommend?