Really, really, REALLY sore

Options
Hey guys. I have my first 5K coming up on Sunday, and (for some reason) I started the 30 Day Shred 2 days ago. Now I can't stand up, sit down, walk, go up or down stairs, or move my arms without pain, especially in my calves and quads. What are you suggestions for feeling better before Sunday morning?

Should I take a break from the shred? Should I keep going and hope my muscles get used to it? Should I stop the shred, but keep walking and doing low impact movement? Or should I just take drugs (if so, what kind?) and suck it up?

Thanks!

Replies

• jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would say start off walking at a brisk pace for 5-10 mins and see how you feel. Do your muscles loosen up and feel better? If so, I would try running for a bit and stretching well after. But a day or so off might help as well. It's important to know the difference between soreness and injury. So just doing some warmup can help you tell which is it.

I started the new rules of lifting for women during the couch to 5K program and I was incredibly sore too after the first day. I skipped my run the day after, then continued with my lifting and cardio. I made sure to stretch well and found my muscles felt much better after some warmup (I was still really sore for the rest of the day though).

If you're going to take a pain reliever, I personally wouldn't take it *before* a workout. My school of thought is that if my muscles hurt during a workout, I want to know it rather than risk further injury by masking pain.

ETA: If you're really sore keep moving around and do some light stretching - don't become sedentary. If you continue to move it'll help keep your muscles warm and loose rather than allow them to stay tight/painful. Good luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Omega complex pills.
    Make sure they have 3,6,9 fatty acids.
  • phillbis
    phillbis Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water. Also, if the pain is too much ibuprofen. The shred does get better. You'll still be sore from time to time but it won't be near as bad as the first few days. Listen to your body and if you need to take a break, take a break. You don't want to injure yourself.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    ^^ is that a headlamp around your torso??? thats really weird
  • aimeerocksx3
    Options
    ^^ is that a headlamp around your torso??? thats really weird

I'm pretty sure that is a heart rate monitor chest strap :P
  • aimeerocksx3
    Options
    I would say start off walking at a brisk pace for 5-10 mins and see how you feel. Do your muscles loosen up and feel better? If so, I would try running for a bit and stretching well after. But a day or so off might help as well. It's important to know the difference between soreness and injury. So just doing some warmup can help you tell which is it.

I started the new rules of lifting for women during the couch to 5K program and I was incredibly sore too after the first day. I skipped my run the day after, then continued with my lifting and cardio. I made sure to stretch well and found my muscles felt much better after some warmup (I was still really sore for the rest of the day though).

If you're going to take a pain reliever, I personally wouldn't take it *before* a workout. My school of thought is that if my muscles hurt during a workout, I want to know it rather than risk further injury by masking pain.

ETA: If you're really sore keep moving around and do some light stretching - don't become sedentary. If you continue to move it'll help keep your muscles warm and loose rather than allow them to stay tight/painful. Good luck!

I walked a bit yesterday, and survived. I also went to the gym and did some biking, nothing too high impact, just so I could move around a bit. I'll make sure to stretch a lot today and tomorrow, but I'm definitely going to take a bit of a break from the 30DS, just until Sunday, and start it back up on Monday. Thanks for your help!