how many calories should i be eating?

Options
hi all.

just wondering how many calories i should be eating to loose 1lb a week?

im 5'5'' 27 years and 153lbs.

i exercise 3 times a week for about a hour at a time.

MFP says 1290cals to loose 1lb a week but that seems too low for it to actually stick if i fell off the wagon.

any help welcome

feel free to add me (please include message thanks)

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    That does sound about right. I'm 5'5 and ive been eating 1210 calories a day to lose 1lb a week and exercise 20 mins 6 days a week - sometimes thats only from walking and i've been losing fine :)
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I would do 1400 (for you). You regularly burn 300 and you're not very overweight ,so you clearly have an ok metabolism. Basically, I'd do what can be managed and not worry so much about the timeline.

(Says the girl shooting to get 10 lbs off by June)
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    if you are working out unless you want a deficit I calculated you to be about 1856 to 1700... * This is based on your weight and activity level and a formula that a MFP'er gave me.. This really has put things in perspective .. obviously you dont want it to be fat but calories with protein and carbs.. you need energy to burn and to create what you need or want to obtain from your work outs .. I am at 161 pounds right now .. I had lost 5 pounds before mfp.. then joined was working out three times a week and breastfeeding and was finding that I just wasn't moving after a month (actually gained 10 back.. >? ) apparently the 1400 calories between breastfeeding and my workouts was way to low , the calculations are the same , your body needs a set amount to stay the same everyday..
    you need a new amount for your activity level..

you need to replace what you expend

your body ramps up its production because you start pushing the buttons in the right places..

totally makes sense to me now.. I just started this week and now I get why weight lifters a health freaks eat so many small high protein cal foods.. *ding* the light came on for me :) hope this helps with your question :)
  • lyssaloo
    lyssaloo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    No, it is definitely not necessary for you to eat that little amount of food. It is possible to lose weight eating that small of an amount, but it will be at a much slower pace because your body will want to hold onto the fat as much as it can, it thinks you are partially starving it. Also,instead of losing mostly fat and a little bit of muscle, you will be losing more muscle and less fat, because when your body thinks it's being starved it is more willing to burn the muscle and keep more fat.
    So, If you are 27, 5'5 and 153 lbs your BMR is about 1500 calories a day. Add your normal daily activities and your 3 times a week exercising and your body is most likely burning within the range of 2060-2325. That would be my best estimate, so subtract 500 calories from your total activity level and you should be eating within the range of at least 1500-1800 calories a day. At that rate, in addition to your activity level, you will lose a pound a week. I would personally suggest eating maybe 1500 calories on the days you don't exercise and 1800 on your workout days. Please don't listen to the people who suggest eating less than your BMR, they are very misinformed.
  • lilvixen84
    lilvixen84 Posts: 100
    Options
    i've gone for 1540 calories a day and will see how i get on......

thanks for all your help x