• sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say PayPal
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    :frown:
    You're opposed to having one credit card for emergencies why?

I think those prepaid cards are a ripoff. I don't think you can find them without some kind of fee or multiple fees.

Oh no no no no, we have definitely one of those, no worries there.

A lot of folks mentioned using the debit card that comes with our checking account. I have one of those, of course, but I like having a set amount of money that I can spend. Which I can do with a checking account, but I pay various bills and debt out of there, alogn with transferring to a savings account. So I'd rather not use it for my spending money, since a lot of money is changing hands at one time. Therefore, I just want to be able to have a set amount of spending money without doing the guesswork that comes with using. Which I could do carrying cash, but I want to be able to purchase stuff online every once in a while. Does that make sense? :frown: <---this was the closest I could find to an "overwhelmed" smiley

So, basically, you'd rather spend extra money to stay within a budget than add more to your checking account and do some math? That doesn't sound like a very logical idea to me.

You'd be surprised how math-averse I can be....:bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I think those prepaid cards are a ripoff. I don't think you can find them without some kind of fee or multiple fees.

A lot of folks mentioned using the debit card that comes with our checking account. I have one of those, of course, but I like having a set amount of money that I can spend. Which I can do with a checking account, but I pay various bills and debt out of there, alogn with transferring to a savings account. So I'd rather not use it for my spending money, since a lot of money is changing hands at one time. Therefore, I just want to be able to have a set amount of spending money without doing the guesswork that comes with using. Which I could do carrying cash, but I want to be able to purchase stuff online every once in a while. Does that make sense? :frown: <---this was the closest I could find to an "overwhelmed" smiley

So, basically, you'd rather spend extra money to stay within a budget than add more to your checking account and do some math? That doesn't sound like a very logical idea to me.

You'd be surprised how math-averse I can be....:bigsmile:

Not really. I'm in the same boat. But budgeting isn't that difficult. Seriously, think about what you want to do. How much sense to it make to spend money you don't need to spend in order to stay in a budget? Just decide you have X dollars to spend on whatever you are planning to buy online and don't spend more than that amount. If you aren't paying those fees, you get to spend more on something you need or want, right?
  • tamsinwhitfield
    tamsinwhitfield Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. What's the point in a prepaid debit card (credit card I would sort of understand). Wouldn't it be easier just to open an additional joint account, allocate so much money to that each month, and have a debit card attached?

^^ This is the best option. I am a manager at a bank, and if someone asked me the same question, this is what I would recommend. Those prepaid cards are a hassle and have too many fees.

Seriously. If you're trying to keep track of what you're spending (and allocating funds accordingly), you can't go wrong with multiple accounts via a single bank for ease of use. I have about five in total that are used actively (joint account, personal saving account, personal current account, 'ladies' nice things' account, ISA), but since they're all managed from a single location online, it's incredibly easy to keep track. Simple.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ok.

Prepaid debit cards are a BAD idea if you travel.

Car rental companies charge a HOLD on the card until you bring the car back ($100s). And also some hotels do the same thing where it is a debit card and a HOLD goes on there until you check out. I'm going on a cruise in June and they do a hold of $400 per person or something like that.

Bad idea if it is a debit card versus credit.

If you don't travel don't worry about it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Yeah. I don't understand why it's sooooo difficult to keep track of a couple purchases in addition to your bills, etc. That's the beauty of online banking. Things show up almost immediately.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    p.s. Hubby and I have EXCELLENT credit. However one of our Capitol One credit cards was raised from 3% to 13% interest. They blamed the economy even though we always pay more than the minimum due and always on time. So, I used that card to charge my entire 4 years of grad school BOOM. So the card lives in a drawer now and I hate Capitol One with a passion. Greedy *kitten*. They did the same thing to friends of mine raising their rates to 23% and of course if you transfer the balance to another card or shut down that card your credit score plummets.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Visa gift card? I don't think there are any fees, and I'm pretty sure you can reload them.

Visa gift cards have a $4.95 activation fee....I'm not sure if that applies to reloads or not.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    For one time purchases with the odd "internet vendor" that I don't have a "relationship" with, the pre-paid gift cards are a small price for the peace of mind, the most they can get if it's a scam is the amount you bought the card for... Trouble is limits on how much the gift cards are available for as most retailers won't do a split across multiple cards, which makes sense since they pay a fee for the "privilege" of accepting the card over cash.

but $4.95 to get a $100 card for a $90ish dollar purchase leaving them up to $10ish to scam me with if they choose to? worth my peace of mind, would cost me more than that in interest if they scammed the actual card.

Then again it doesn't "have" to be scammers, I remember once paying $25 for shipping on something that I needed to have "now" and it arrived at my door with a 50 cent stamp on a bubble envelope.... yeah they don't get my business anymore :)
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I want to get peoples' opinions on this topic, since the amount of options is overwhelming.

A little background: I'm 26 (as of yesterday, late 20s ugh), and my fiance and I have excellent credit. We are currently saving money for our wedding and a down payment on a larger home, as we live in a condo now that we own. We have been able to save money by giving ourselves an "allowance" each week for spending money (food, shopping, etc.)

It's been great so far, but the only issue is if I want to buy something online, which is hard to do since I only have cash. So I was thinking of getting one of those prepaid debit cards, so it would be almost like carrying cash, but I would be able to shop online. But I am iffy about the fees and loading money onto the card. So I am looking for a card where I can:

-Transfer from my checking account for no fees
    -No monthly fee (or a very small one, if I must)
    -NO TRANSACTION FEE, that's a big one

Does that even exist??!! I know they design a lot of those cards for people with sh!tty credit, which I don't have. I just want to be able to have my cash on a card with minimal fees and not have to worry about paying out the @$$ if I want to purchase something from Amazon.com. Any suggestions?

The ONLY person/corp. I would trust for a pre-paid : http://www.theapprovedcard.com/

Suze Orman
  • josliertaylor
    Options
    The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau wants comments on prepaid debit cards. The bureau hopes to hear from consumers, as some regulations regarding said cards are likely forthcoming in the next couple of months. A cash advance can help you when you are avoiding debit cards. One thing you should know about cash advance is that applying for it online is easier than applying for a loan through a bank. Bank loans can take weeks, but online cash advances are usually completed the same business day. There's no room now for worrying about where to get money because cash advance is their to help you. Majority of people in the United states who belong to middle class society are now availing cash advance, according to them it such a big help most especially in times of emergency and needs cash immediately. I tell you, process of application is fast and convenient so apply now and see how easy it is to get the cash today.