30 DAY SHRED QUESTION

Options
Just wondering do people do the 30 day shred every day as well as going to the gym or whatever other exercise you do or just do it on its own as the only form of exercise per day? I started it and did it 3 days on the trot as well as doing an hour and a half at the gym but then stopped doing it and carried on just doing the gym. I would like to start doing it again but just not sure whether I should do it just the days I don't go to the gym or continue to do it every day!!! I would appreciate any suggestions :)

Replies

• bunnyboo24
    bunnyboo24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know this too. I just started it 2 days ago.
  • teriann1979
    teriann1979 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do the 30DS every morning and then walk/jog some nights. If your body is comfortable doing both 30DS and the gym then go for it when you're able to but remember your body needs a little recovery period. Just try not to injure yourself by overdoing it.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    i have done 3 days of it. i started with working out first and then later doing 30ds, day two i was so sore i just did 30ds and then yesterday i did 30ds and 10min on the elliptical right after, and im not even a bit sore today. id say just play it by ear and see how you feel. also i am taking days of 1-2 a week for rest on my muscles :) dont over do it because you dont want to get hurt or to stress your muscles. hope this helps! let us know your progress!!
    also note that i have been doing elliptical/treadmill and weights for a few weeks before starting 30ds :)
  • jojogo1111
    Options
    If you are just starting to exercise (as a beginner) then I think the 30 DS on it's own would be good to start with. Once your fitness level improves you could go to the gym in addition to doing the 30 DS on the same day. I sometimes like to workout in the morning or lunchtime and then also do the 30 DS later in the day kind of as a "bonus." And other weeks when I've already worked out 4-5 days in a row, I'll do the 30 DS on it's own for the next day.
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting to exercise (as a beginner) then I think the 30 DS on it's own would be good to start with. Once your fitness level improves you could go to the gym in addition to doing the 30 DS on the same day. I sometimes like to workout in the morning or lunchtime and then also do the 30 DS later in the day kind of as a "bonus." And other weeks when I've already worked out 4-5 days in a row, I'll do the 30 DS on it's own for the next day.

Agree with the above on the fitness level. I had done Zumba for a year before I added the 30 DS. I am doing both now but don't think I could have done both when I first started out. I also think that is about pushing past what you think your limits are too.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I do 30DS 5 out of 7 days. Some of those days I will do some walking/jogging too...but no more than 30 minutes.

The other two days I do 60 minutes high intensity cardio.

Works for me....30DS is the strength training component I have been missing...so hopefully the balance with cardio and strength is what I have been missing :)
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started 30 DS just yesterday and here is my feeling:

I did elliptical in gym for 30 minutes and then did 30 DS and I was really satisified. Unless you are a total beginner to exercising, I think you can do both gym and 30 DS..
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Depends entirely on you. If you can do both, it's fine. If you want to alternate, that's fine too. I find her to be annoying, so I just do her stuff once a week.
  • x__abbi__x
    x__abbi__x Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Its recommended to be done 5/7 days which is what I aime to do, I do more if I feel like it or less if I dont.
    I do however also do aqua stuff twice a week and go for a long walk once a week. xxx
  • WiegandS
    WiegandS Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I did the 30DS and gym route simultaneously, but then after awhile i just got lazy with the 30DS. It's an awesome workout, but while I was at the gym it was just easier to stay on a machine an extra 20-25 min to burn the same amount of calories.

BUT!!!!!! My body felt toned doing the 30DS. I was never even able to do more than 3 girl pushups and now I can do both girl and about half the regular pushups in the DVD- so my strength improved. Also, the toning ab move in level 2 (the plank crunches) really toned my obliques.

Overall, I think it increases your stamina and strength and really tones. I do a level maybe 2x a week now, but the gym is just easier. Also, I've been following a lot of the toning videos my ToneItuUp on youtube this way my workouts don't get boring.
  • TLPad
    TLPad Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, I have been exercising for about 8 weeks now so will give it a go doing it Mon, Tues, Thurs, Frid so having a break on Wednesday and the weekend and see how I go. I may even built up to every day in the future :)
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did 30 Day Shred in the AM and 30 minutes of cardio in the PM. I really liked doing both and it averaged only 60 minutes/day. That's a decent workout when you put it together.

And I did do it every day.....for some reason I felt like I would quit it entirely if I stopped doing it for one day.
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do it about 4 or 5 days a week and I walk a mile every lunch time at work. That plus housework makes up my weekly exercise. =)

I'm on Level 2 now btw.
  • melruiz5
    melruiz5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When i first started, all i did was the Shred. . . but I see you have lost some weight already. . . . I just finished up my 2nd round of the Shred and started RI30. . . i go to the gym 6 days a week and also do P90X Ab Ripper X and go on walks occassionaly. .. i would say, GO FOR IT!!! if your body can handle it all. . . DO IT!!!! But, listen to your body, if you start to feel like it's too much, take a rest day from the gym, but still do the Shred. .. Good Luck with it, i LOVED it, but now i just need more. Hence why i started RI30, It's the SHREDon STERIODS! :bigsmile:
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I did 30 days in a row and was fine. I'm now going to start again and do shred, shred, cardio, shred, shred, cardio, rest. I'll probably also start biking to or from work (21km) as well.

You need to listen to your own body. If it's hard on your knees mix it up a bit and compliment it with swimming or walking or something. Just do what you can, if you think you're doing too much then just back off.
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I did the 30DS in March religiously every day (well if I did have to miss a day, I would double my workouts on the weekends) because that was my assumption - that you had to do it everyday HOWEVER, I have since found out that the name "30 Day Shred" was Jillian's marketing executives' idea and she said in a podcast that you are meant to follow the following formula:

2 Days of 30 DS
    1 Day of Cardio
    2 Days of 30 DS
    1 Day of Cardio
    1 Day of rest

I wish I would have known about this when I did it, but I had good results (lost 11 inches all around). I am currently doing Ripped in 30 and she tells you on there (which she fails to do on the Shred) that you are to do it 5-6 days a week with at least one day of rest and she stressed the one day of rest.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, please feel free to send me a friend request. Well, even if you don't have any questions you can - I'm always on here and try to be as supportive as I can be. It's a great workout nonetheless and you should have good results!
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for three weeks now. I only do it 5 of 7 days, but I also Zumba about an hour each day too. My weekends are my time off, no exercise allowed.
  • sunshine45356
    sunshine45356 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba for a couple months and then started my 30 D.S. stopped the Zumba till my endurance felt stronger. Now I do them both every morning. Zumba first and then right into the 30 DS. really makes a difference in your stamina!
  • michelle850
    michelle850 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 26 and I usually do this in the morning, and walk or do some sort of dance workout later in the day...If I'm feeling lazy I'll just do 30DS and call it done!
  • Kylieikerd
    Options
    I do 30ds 6 out of 7 days. I walk almost every single day also to get a little cardio in. I'm in level 3 now and boy its a good workout!