Fitbit Tracker-ACCURACY?!

Options
Hi. Just started using the fitbit tracker. This morning I got up out of bed to go the the bathroom. Peeked at the tracker, 338 calories burned with just taking 20 steps to pee, WHAT IS GOING ON? I am so discouraged about this thing. Does it perform more accurately throughout the day or is this thing just totally off???

Replies

• redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I found the Fitbit to be very accurate. It takes into account calories being burned by sleeping, breathing, etc. So the 338 calories being burned is from 12 am to when you looked, which most of the burn is from sleeping. when you get up for the day you'll notice you're calorie burn will be higher.
  • forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Oh. I had no idea that it tracks all sedentary calories. this makes more sense now. TY!
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    On the fitbit site at the bottom check out the help section and then go to product manual. It explains all about the fitbit. I found it very helpful when I first received my Fitbit
  • forest0spirit555
    forest0spirit555 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    On the fitbit site at the bottom check out the help section and then go to product manual. It explains all about the fitbit. I found it very helpful when I first received my Fitbit

thank you! Ill go do that
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    So, are you happy with it 45-ish days later? Has it been worth the investment?
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit for a year and I love it! I wouldn't want to go without it. I find it very accurate and it does motivate me to keep moving when my totals are low. So I would say it's totally worth it. Love the way I can log food in here and it puts the data into fitbit and vice versa.
  • kimgettinfit
    kimgettinfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just got mine this week and LOVE it. Amazing how if you wear it all day, it tracks everything!! I have been very amazed at the sleep tracker part of it. My sleep efficiency is actually better than I thought...about 98-99% at night. I go to sleep within 8 minutes and only wake up one or two times (that I don't even know!). I feel it's very accurate in how many calories burned. Great buy!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It is showing you total calories burned for the day - even the ones just to take a breath and keep you alive.
  • emilysavage123
    Options
    does the fit bit tracker also calculate how many calories you burn during exercise?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    So, are you happy with it 45-ish days later? Has it been worth the investment?

I have had mine since February. I love it and wear it every day. It motivates me to keep moving which is really what I need.
  • PandaHerber
    PandaHerber Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit for about 5 weeks now and also love it!! While it's 'mileage' is not accurate for purposes of my runs - and therefore I use a Garmin to track mileage of my runs - I really focus it on purpose of steps and 'activity' - it knows when I'm being really active and/or when I'm leisurely walking the dog. It keeps me motivated to keep trying for more. One saturday a few weeks ago I did 45000 steps between my 8 mile run and 10.5 mile strenuous hike and various other walking at dinner and the evening. I was beat, but it was awesome being like - ya! I did it! I try for 15-20k most days and 10-15k on my recovery weeks from running/strength.
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    does the fit bit tracker also calculate how many calories you burn during exercise?

Yes, but it's just an estimate based on your given stats and steps taken in a given period of time. It's NOT a HRM, so don't expect HRM results :)
  • TwtyMami35
    Options
    It also depends whether you stated you were sedentary or active when working. I have had my FitBit since February and use it ALL the time. It does not accurately calculate my Spin Cycle calories, but that's why I should get the newer version (LOL). the FitBit, for me is a motivator/reminder to keep moving. I wear it all day, everyday.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be SO accurate when making my activity logs (witht he start time) (ie when I run or do JM 30 day shred) and I will enter it only into mfp, but then right after I will get a fitbit adjustment for roughly the same amount of calories?!?!?! WTH??? Is it double counting??? I eat back some calies from exercise so I don't want to stall my progress.... this is SO FRUSTRATING!
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be SO accurate when making my activity logs (witht he start time) (ie when I run or do JM 30 day shred) and I will enter it only into mfp, but then right after I will get a fitbit adjustment for roughly the same amount of calories?!?!?! WTH??? Is it double counting??? I eat back some calies from exercise so I don't want to stall my progress.... this is SO FRUSTRATING!

You're making it to complicated, Eat at your bodyweight * 11. If you weigh 180 pounds eat 1980, do that for 3 weeks, if you lose no weight, then eat bodyweight *10.

Your goal is "WEIGHT LOSS" not eating back exercise calories, not counting calories, not eating above BMR, not eating at your TDEE, or anything else. it's WEIGHT LOSS. eat a limit, if it doesn't work, Reduce them by 10%, that's it!

THANK YOU OMG so simple... I seriously really needed that... all those calculations people were telling me was freaking confusing... BMR...eat back...dont eat back... after all your exercise don't go below 1200... blah blah... THANK YOU!