Bodymedia Fit vs. Fitbit - opinions, please!

Options
Hi all,

I am interested in getting a true representation of my calories burned and Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), and I think that a monitoring device may be necessary to eliminate the guesswork. The Bodymedia Fit is more expensive than Fitbit, but if it's significantly better, I would consider that a worthwhile investment.

So... thoughts? I'm interested in all opinions - lemme hear 'em! :)

Thanks in advance,
Amy

Replies

• shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    The FitBit measures movement only, the BMF measures movement as well as heat/moisture of your skin. Once I save up some cash I plan to get the BMF, seems since it measures more indicators of effort/exertion that it might be more accurate than measuring movement alone.

There is a good deal on Amazon.com right now on the BMF - you can get the 'Link' model for a little over $100 (that's the one that you can sync up with a smartphone) or the 'Core' model for less than $100 (that's the one that is significantly smaller, but it doesn't like to a smartphone so you have to either sync with the website or purchase the display device if you want to easily see your progress throughout the day). If you want to get one of those, go to Amazon and view the item you want and look just down the page for the $30 'coupon' that you can click to bring the price down.

ETA: both options of the BMF include a free 3 month trial subscription to the website. After the 3 months are up you do need to pay for the subscription.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I been using the bodymedia Fit for a few weeks now. As for monitoring my activity with my Iphone, it works well, but nothing, a good pedometer wouldn't be able to do. As a side note, you can not use the phone to monitor, with out having an active account which you will have to pay monthly.

The biggest disappointment was the food diary log. It is so extremely out of date and not that many items as you would think. Most things I keep track of, I had to manually input. Normally I would log it in MFP first, then transfer the information to Bodymedia.

Personally, I think it a waste of $200, not to mention the monthly charge. But since I already spent the money, I will continue to use it.

Hope that help.

John
    2060487.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my BodyMedia Fit and the data it generates. I got it half price from Groupon and it was the best $95 I've ever spent on a fitness gadget.

I don't use the food tracking portion of their website. I use MFP for logging everything and adding everything up. Once I get my daily total from MFP, I just enter that number in the BodyMedia site under 'Estimated Calories'.

If you would like to see more data and the kind of information I've been getting from my BodyMedia, feel free to check out my blog:

http://exercisegadgets.wordpress.com/
  • arbeebeeagain
    Options
    I have been using the FitBit for a month and I am very satisfied. While it may not be as accurate, it is very close. It does help keep me on track and motivated. Plus, I don't have to pay to use their site with it (unless you want the bonus features). Since it integrates with MyFitnessPal which I was already using, it works well for me. Plus, I can wear it all day without anyone noticing.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I ordered the bodymedia fit (still waiting for it lol). What sealed the deal for me is counts more when you are weight lifting, not only during but the afterburn.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up - I got the BodyMedia Fit CORE (the slimmer of the two non-bluetooth models) for $90 on amazon with free shipping - they offered an on-site $30 cupon (not sure if this is for everyone or random or how it works) but they offer it for $120 normally, which is still cheaper than through BodyMedia's site. At $120 it's not a ton more expensive than the Fitbit.

http://www.amazon.com/BodyMedia-CORE-Weight-Management-System/dp/B0052KONSI/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2

I used BodyMedia for several years, then though I'd do things without it. I ended up falling off the wagon and recently decided to re-purchase it. It is great motivation and a reminder for me to stay on track. I looked into the Fitbit, but just wasn't convinced that it would be as accurate as BodyMedia. Body Media uses more sensors/measurements than FitBit. There is the monthly subscription cost for BodyMedia, which Fitbit doesn't have, but at the price of about 2 Starbucks coffees, it is worth it to me.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Is the BMF really uncomfortable to sleep with attached to your arm??
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I hava a BMF and absolutely love it!!! I've had mine for a year and have learned so much about my body and the calories it burns. I HIGHLY recommend it to everyone. It's the best investment I've made in my healthy lifestyle. I wear mine 24/7 but now that summers here and I pretty much know what my body burns on an average day I will be wearing it less but still using it. U will not be disappointed in it :)
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options

Nope, I wear mine all the time. Don't even notice it :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Nope, I wear mine all the time. Don't even notice it :)

Agreed. The first night or two you may notice it, but you get used to it. The band isn't supposed to be very tight, so if it is uncomfortable you'll want to make sure you don't have the band too tight.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

It was a little uncomfortable for me, because I'm a left-side sleeper. But, I did some experimentation and made comparisons between the numbers wearing it on my right arm while sleeping, compared to the manufacturer-recommended left arm. My numbers came out pretty much identical, regardless of what arm I wear the device on while I'm sleeping. So, now I just wear it on my right arm while I'm in bed, and I don't notice it at all.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I had the body bugg for over a year and LOVED it until my skin developed an allergic reation to the nickel backing.

I now have the Fitbit and LOVE it just as much as I did the body bugg.

Unlike the body bugg website - the fitbit website is free, not sure about the body Media site.

Either way they are both good investments.

Good luck to you
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    good information! I too am thinking of one of these so am bumping for the future.
  • liptok
    liptok Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been using the fitbit since march 2012 and I love it, is also inspires me to challenge myself. You have a daily chart you can see how you are doing by eating, calories and activity and see where you need to improve. You also can monitor your sleep. You get a weekly report card that shows you your total steps, calories you most active day and least active day. I would recommend the fit bit to any one I have been using it a little over a month and I have lost 8 pounds and walk 4 miles a day.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I have been using the BodyMedia since Jan and I like it. I wear it on my right arm b/c I started getting a funny indentation on my left arm after 2 months. I think the calories are pretty close to accurate. There are 2 quirks though 1) I don't think it measures strength training too accurately and 2) if you are shopping at the mall and carrying all your bags on the arm you have it on, it won't register alot of your steps. Oh, and I dont use the meal tracker...it sucks. I just use MFP to track my meals and put in the final number at the end of the day.

I found it most helpful on my "lazy" days b/c my TDEE was way off on those days. I can now adjust my calories on days I know I wont get much activity in and not just resort to 1200 cals and starve. It does take a lot of guess work out of calories and it keeps running averages so the longer you wear it, the more accurate it gets.
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just got my Fitbit last weekend and I am EXTREMELY pleased with it. I love that it not only monitors my activity levels but it tracks effectiveness of my sleep as well. I also like that it syncs with MFP so I never actually log food into the fitbit software. Finally, I love that it's really small and discrete so I can wear it without advertising that I'm tracking myself.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I ordered the bodymedia fit (still waiting for it lol). What sealed the deal for me is counts more when you are weight lifting, not only during but the afterburn.

Can you show the proof of that for me??
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I've read on the site that you can't wear it swimming and with summer coming up, I go swimming a lot. So how do you all account for cals burned while in water??