Food Allergy?

Options
Does anyone know if you can be allergic to a food (like tartar sauce) without be allergic to any of the individual ingredients? Also, could you be allergic to one brand of mayo and not another?
I'm allergic to something from our dinner last night/lunch today, but there are no "new" ingredients that I haven't had in the past and I was never affected by them before. The only ingredient that I haven't had by itself in the last month is the mayo, but I have had other brands of mayo in my tuna salad in that time.

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    soy vs. egg, vs albumen vs whatever else is in the product.

Read the labels and do self-tests, eliminations.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    it is possible that you are allergic to some sort of additive in one brand of mayo versus another. for example, my sister is not allergic to Advil, but she is allergic to the Walmart brand of Ibuprofen. It is likely the different ingredients for the coating on the pills.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    compare the mayo labels, see if there are any different ingredients.

I had a similar problem, I started buying a new brand of milk awhile back, and I was getting so sick. Turns out the new brand I was buying had added calcium carbonate, which comes from oysters, which I am extremely allergic to.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I'm going to see exactly whats in the mayo we used last night versus what we usually use since that's the only ingredient I haven't eaten recently. I didn't have any food allergies that I was aware of. :ohwell:
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I developed a peanut allergy after 28 years of eating peanuts and peanut butter. Took awhile to figure it out because I had eaten those ingredients all my life.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I developed a peanut allergy after 28 years of eating peanuts and peanut butter. Took awhile to figure it out because I had eaten those ingredients all my life.

With me it was bananas. 40 years of happily eating them, then all of a sudden they made me very ill. Took me only a couple of days to figure it out thank goodness. But it means no pre-made smoothies for me.:ohwell: