Swimming Help

Options
Any swimming advice helpful.
I mean ANY.
Please.
Also what should I combine swimming with. I can't afford a gym though.
I just need help.

Replies

• saby_macdonald
    Options
    Swimming is great because it works the entire body, keep switching up your strokes,I use back crawl and front crawl the most and then i do the eggbeater to work my thighs. Swim one lap fast and the next slow, or 2 laps fast and one slow, the intervals will help give you a better workout. make sure you breathe in through your mouth and out through your nose it will keep you from tiring out or from breaking stride. When I taught aquasize I also liked to make the ladies do the doggie paddle and run in the water. You can also change it up and do arms only and legs only. have fun swimming! If you can't afford the gym get some weights to do strength training at home.
  • tammyclair
    Options
    what is the eggbeater?
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Swimming is awesome!

I'd recommend a swimming cap, since that tends to make life easier. Also, carry water-drying eardrops with you, in case you get water in your ears!

As far as exercise: different strokes work your muscles in different ways, so you should try to use them all (tho not necessarily in the same workout). The main ones are front crawl, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly, and there are many other ways to get from point A to point B. There's also a lot of equipment you can check out, such as kickboards (work legs only), fins (swim faster, but increase drag/resistance), etc. Another good workout is simply treading water in place for as long as you can. You can try it legs only as well.

Mix up your workouts - some can be going for duration or number of laps, or you could do intervals (fast/slow laps).

We used to swim several laps, get out of the pool and do pushups and situps, swim more laps, repeat. If you want to strength train, you can focus on body weight exercises that need no equipment. Or you could do more cardio like running or walking.
  • dzmikki
    dzmikki Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    what is the eggbeater?

This is a type of 'kick' you do while treading water. It is the easiest 'kick' to stay afloat.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Swimming, dont have access to a pool right now though. Make it fun! change it up, use the resistance power of the water. Learn the different strokes and watch others at the pool and ask questions. The butterfly I struggle with but is awesome for the chest, back and arms. If you dont know how to do something that someone else is doing, ask them how! The water is very forgiving, so if your form is not good at first, you run less risk of hurting your self.

I agree with the swimming laps, getting out and doing pushups until you tire, jumping jacks until you tire, etc.......then back in for a few more laps. We used to do this for swim team to help build endurance and strength. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swim swim swim :)