1200 cals a day with a BMR of 1286

Options
Hi
I just started this about 3 weeks ago and I'm already plataued? I've gone a week without losing anything and I have been keeping my calories at about 1200. Some days I eat back what I burned and sometimes not, I just listen to my body. The only difference this week is that I started the weights. I've been reading a lot about 1200 cals not being enough but I'm only 4' 11 with a BMR of 1286. My activity level is at sedentary. Should I be upping my calories? I will also add that I quit nursing my baby about 3 weeks ago so I dont know if perhaps my body is re-adjusting itself to that? I've always been a yoyo dieter but when I would focus it was always pretty easy for me; not so much anymore. I have 25 lbs to lose. Thanks!

Replies

• dixie3379
    dixie3379 Posts: 11
    Options
    Bump
  • amneff51
    amneff51 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Whenever you start lifting weights you have to realize that the fat that would typically drop off, is instead turning into muscle and therefore the numbers aren't going to drop, at least for now. LIfting weights is a great way to drop lbs, muscle by itself burns calories. Don't feel defeated, keep doing what you're doing. Maybe alternate your weights and cardio so you aren't lifting 5 days a week.
  • dixie3379
    dixie3379 Posts: 11
    Options
    I do cardio about 6 days a week and weights every other day. I have not lost 11 lbs in 3 weeks either. I joined in January but quit because I was still nursing and it was effecting my supply too much. I have lost about 4lbs in 3 weeks.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Being really little kinda sucks since you really can't eat too much. My BMR is 1260. I set my cal goal to that but I eat back pretty much all of my exercise cals too and try not to net below the 1260. I have plateaued this last few weeks and just jiggle up and down by a fraction of a pound. I'm thinking I may need to eat a little more and see if that helps.

Nursing requires a lot of nutrition and water. Don't cut cals too much while you are doing that. The plus is, it uses up cals so if you are eating a healthy diet it can help you loose weight. Also realize you are carrying a lot of fluid with you that will go away when you stop nursing. I think my boobs were like 2 cup sizes bigger.

Being very little without much to lose also means you will lose much slower than bigger people. I have 14 lbs to go and try to lose .5 per week which is about what it has averaged.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight at a safe pace 1-2lbs a week? If so, what does it matter?

ETA: not going to get in to all the details, but 1,200 is to low. go use the search feature, you'll find out why.

too*
  • julierewa
    julierewa Posts: 17
    Options
    I think you are doing great. Yes, your body is adjusting - don't underestimate what having a baby does to your body chemically - it takes at least 12 months to fully get over that, regardless of what you look like. Forget watching the pounds right now and measure yourself instead. You will be starting to build muscle and this will be more obvious by measurements than weighing for awhile. Don't be discouraged.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Whenever you start lifting weights you have to realize that the fat that would typically drop off, is instead turning into muscle

Some mass of muscle will be added, but more mass of fat will be burned. By very virtue of burning more calories than are consumed, weight should be lost regardless.

This of course neglects factors such as water retention.