A few crazy questions I need help with.

I apologize if these questions are crazy and some might think I should know the answers to...but I don't and need MFP's help. Please feel free to add your "crazy need help question" here too. Thanks MFP!!!

1) When you double the scoop on protein shakes, do you double the water too?

2) Is it okay to drink a protein shake on the days you do not workout?

3) Is there a such thing of low and high carb days? If so, how do you determine what days are what?

4) This is really crazy question, but hey, I don't know the answer. Is a multivitamin the same as a 1 a day vitamin? I have this books that suggest taking a multivitamin 2 X's a day and I have a 1 A Day vitamin that says to take only 1 A Day....lol.

5) Just thought of another one. How do you know if you gain muscle vs. gaining weight?

Replies

• Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    I can answer #5....you see firmness and definition, not jiggle and wiggle.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member

Only if you want twice the amount of shake, doubling the protein (and cals/carbs) is one thing, but doubling the water will make more fluid you must drink. Which.... depending on the amount of water and the brand of shake, it will start to congeal and I've had mine turn so nasty I've tossed it. But, if you don't double the water, you can also have this same issue. If you want to double scoop with single water amount, drink it fast.

It depends on why you are taking the protein in the first place. It is to supplement work-outs or as a meal replacement / protein increaser for dietary means (IE; you need more protein because you've cut back so many cals/food sources).

For meal replacement - yeah sure, go right ahead. To supplement work-out, you need to read up on your brand of shake and see what it recommends. Also, I bet if you are doing muscle building work-outs over cardo for calorie burning, it probably won't hurt. If your doing cardo for calorie loss & it's not as a meal replacement, you can omit that day's shake.

3) Is there a such thing of low and high carb days? If so, how do you determine what days are what?

As to this, I am personally going to a "low-carb" life style, which cuts the carbs & sugars, but adds fats & proteins. Everyday is a low-carb day for me. Only a week in myself on this new style of eating and I feel better, have more energy & less digestive issues.

But as to your org question, hopefully someone else can come on and offer advice.

4) This is really crazy question, but hey, I don't know the answer. Is a multivitamin the same as a 1 a day vitamin? I have this books that suggest taking a multivitamin 2 X's a day and I have a 1 A Day vitamin that says to take only 1 A Day....lol.

I've been told by several places & doctors that either can work, as you loose weight & increase your metabolism, things will go thru your system faster. The 1-a-day type may pass thru your system before all of the vitamins/minerals are properly adsorbed. At this point either start taking the vitamin before you go to bed (stays in your system longer) or switch to a twice a day.

Also, if you also take additional supplements - herbs, calcium, ect - DON'T take everything at one time. Certain things interfere with others for absorption in the body and the loser will pass out, being wasted. I take a slew of items and spread them out over the course of the day (morning, 10am, lunch, 4pm & finally before bed). This way hopefully everything will get a chance to be adsorbed to the best my body can without interacting with other things.

5) Just thought of another one. How do you know if you gain muscle vs. gaining weight?

Best I can offer is what Buttercupmcge stated - firmness and definition over flabbiness and jiggling.

Hope these may offer some insight.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Thanks butter and sammi...but just so I am clear sammi....I can take my One A Day Vitamin in the morning and in the evening?
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    If the bottle says to take (1) a day, only take one. The levels in that pill will be higher and it's probably designed to stay "together" longer in your gut. If it says take two, them by all means, take two.

Some vitamins are water solutable and your will loose them through out the day, others are not and can start causing issues in too high doses.

I take one that I'm supposed to take two [IE: it's supposed to be (2) a day, but i only take (1)], but because my food & other vitamins supply some of the same stuff, i only take (1) at lunch after I eat. This way it doesn't have issues w/ absorption with the other vitamins/herb/minerals I take.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    I apologize if these questions are crazy and some might think I should know the answers to...but I don't and need MFP's help. Please feel free to add your "crazy need help question" here too. Thanks MFP!!!

>>> I mix my protein shakes with almond milk and sometimes I add 4oz just to make it easier to drink. If you mix water just whatever is easy for you to get it down!

>>>Yes I do all the time and it keeps me full and snack less. If you have done weights the previous day this will also help w/ repairing your muscles from soreness and prepare you for your next workout.

>>>I do low carb/high protein days especially when I don't workout just because it keeps me fuller longer. I only allow carbs before a workout or if I'm juicing to fuel it. Maybe some veggies or good complex carbs for the remainder. You have to find out what works for you body. I ready bodybuilder.com has a lot of carb cycling info.

>>>Yes that's a multi-vitamin but you can also ask the pharmacist for the best multivitamin. I also take calcium and fish oil at times. Also b12 can give you a little energy spike if you need it.

>>> track your body fat %. If you go to the gym have someone calculate it.

I am not a professional by any means but this is what I have read and researched on my own or from others on here.