Choosing Trainers/Nutritionists

I'm very interested in the world of fitness, especially with the nutritional side of things. I'm a computer geek by trade and degree but would love to get into some of the education and the certification involved with nutrition & wellness and really focus in on sports nutrition. And then would love to also maybe get into some of the group certifications.

My question to YOU - if you were choosing a trainer/ group instructor/ nutritionist would you be turned off if they only had only certification rather than a bachelors in say sports medicine or nutrition? From my background I realize that my BS for database and computer science was really that... b***s**t. It was all about experience and the degree just meant I took the time to snooze through some classes. But maybe others view it different in the fitness community.

Any and all input would be great. It basically would just give me feedback on whether or not I could turn some knowledge just into a hobby or maybe pursue into some type of part time job and/or career. I'm not sure I could ever leave my analytical side behind but I'd love to see if I couldn't take my database mind and mix it in with nutrition and fitness do incorporate some great 1 on 1 options to help people achieve their desired goals. I'm not looking to help gym rats, but those that really just have no idea where to start and want to have health and fitness in their life for their mental and physical well being - for themselves and for their friends/family. I got interested in it because I felt like growing up in podunk North Dakota, I never really had someone to talk to about it.

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    I'm a career changer myself, so no, I wouldn't be bothered by it.
  • PandaHerber
    PandaHerber Posts: 43 Member
    I've been looking at all my people I've been doing group fitness with and most of them are just ACE certified. I think I may have to start looking into this path. Everyone else says I should just start having kids, but I think certifications sound more exciting at this point! :)