Anyone try kickboxing (real in the ring kickboxing)?

Options
Today one of my co-workers approached me and asked me if I was interested in kickboxing training (lol, because I have good legs). He said they have a 3 time national champion (I forget his name lol) that trains at a local home gym (of a rich guy who really gets into kickboxing) and they are looking for new people. They all really get into "the rumble on the hill" (tough man fighting). Not sure if all that is for me...but training with a champion...hmmm, hard to pass up lol.

Sounds like fun....but is it dangerous? Am I going to get hurt doing this? I'm sure it's a good work out. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• deamarie
    Options
    I trained with a boxing coach (not kickboxing) and it was one of the best experiences of my life! It was a real boxing gym, no a/c, spit and blood on the ground, bags hanging from anything that would stand still. Fantastic! My trainer understood I was doing it for the fitness factor and I never wanted to compete (although he tried to convince me otherwise on many occasions). I trained just like he trained everyone else, my only rule was no hitting me in the head! I actually brought what I learned to the gym where I work and started a class there. It teaches you to push your body to the limits and it is an incredible workout. Do it! (and yes, it hurts!)
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I trained with a boxing coach (not kickboxing) and it was one of the best experiences of my life! It was a real boxing gym, no a/c, spit and blood on the ground, bags hanging from anything that would stand still. Fantastic! My trainer understood I was doing it for the fitness factor and I never wanted to compete (although he tried to convince me otherwise on many occasions). I trained just like he trained everyone else, my only rule was no hitting me in the head! I actually brought what I learned to the gym where I work and started a class there. It teaches you to push your body to the limits and it is an incredible workout. Do it! (and yes, it hurts!)

Hello!!! Jut read your profile and noticed you live in Hammond, LA. You are the first person from Louisiana I met on here.
  • deamarie
    Options
    Well hey April! There are Louisianians out there. I have stumbled across a handful. Congrats on the weightloss and the grandbaby!
  • annaliza
    Options

Wow, thanks for the info!! I think I'm going to at least go to their gym and check it out. I'm not sure I want to spit blood on the floor lol.

I thought that it would do that....teach me to push my body to the limit.

Thanks again!!
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    I train with someone and do boxing (not kickboxing) and I LOVE it!! I am still working on eating better and doing other forms of exercise other than boxing but I really love boxing the most.
  • annaliza
    Options
    I train with someone and do boxing (not kickboxing) and I LOVE it!! I am still working on eating better and doing other forms of exercise other than boxing but I really love boxing the most.

When I first started working out, I did cardio boxing and loved it! I think that's why this kickboxing has me so fascinated (besides the fact that not too many people can do it lol).