Lifting Weights Question

Options
Hello! So, I've heard many people talk about how healthy it is for women to lift weights, and that they should be lifting "heavy weights" and not be a girlie wimp about it.

So my question is, what does "heavy weights" mean? How heavy are we talking? As heavy as we can manage? When I do the weight machines at the gym (yes, I'm sure I'm supposed to be lifting free weights, but I don't really know how, don't have a lifting buddy, and can't afford a trainer to teach me how to do it properly) I put as much weight on as I can lift, but of course, being new to lifting and also being a woman, I'm not piling on like hundreds of pounds..... I would say for the leg press I can probably get around 130...and for most arm machines I'm probably around 50... and as I get stronger, I will keep bumping it up. Hope that qualifies?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Heavy means as heavy as you can.

If you are interested, this is the program I do:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm in the game of lifting for toning and slight definition. Depending on what your goal is exactly will depend on how much weight you want to use.

I'm beginning a more holistic work out, so I'm low for some muscles. I used to just target my arms because they were so flabby. BUT I've added back, shoulders and biceps to the line up more. Right now I'm doing 55 on lat pulldown, 12 on dumbbell upright row (free weights), 55 on row, 25 on pull downs, 20 on tricep lying down extension, 30 on overhead press and roll down, 20 on tricep behind the head lift....all of these weights are somewhat easy, but after high reps, I'm sore normally. If I'm not sore, I switch up the weight a little on different things to get some ache.

Once I can move up in weight, I will. I think there will be a natural limit to what I can lift. I don't take protein, and I'm not looking to do 200 lbs for 3 reps. I want definition in all my muscles and no fat.

And you don't need to pay money for training! Girl, use this website! http://gainfitness.com/strength#

I've lost inches since lifting, but the scale hasn't moved. Just remember you WILL be burning fat, but you WILL be gaining muscle mass. You will notice your clothes fitting better, but you may not see the scale move!

Also, get your body fat percentage before starting and take measurements. After 3 months or so, do it again. I GUARANTEE you'll notice a HUGE difference. I was 22% BF in November. I'm now down to almost 20%. I want to get to 18%. And remember, lifting burns calories and lifting requires your body to need to repair itself. You need fuel for your work outs, and you need fuel to help your body repair itself. Include more protein in your diet and a slighter higher calorie intake.
  • ljm0521
    ljm0521 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A trainer told me that it's better for me to lift lighter weights but do more reps. I don't want to look super muscular, just toned.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    A trainer told me that it's better for me to lift lighter weights but do more reps. I don't want to look super muscular, just toned.

Unless you're eating in excess, extremely dedicated to building massive muscles, and are using steroids, you won't turn into a body builder by lifting weights. Women just aren't naturally inclined towards doing that.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

That's pretty outdated advice. Light weights and high reps just make you better at lifting light weights and high reps. It doesn't increase strength, or even retain strength or muscle while dieing. Heavy lifting does this. You won't gain much muscle mass lifting heavy unless you eat a LOT (over maintenance).
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting DOES NOT mean as heavy as you can.

My advice, which is pretty simple, is to lift a weight that you can do around 12 times and have those last 3 be DIFFICULT TO FINISH. That means, if you can do 15 reps, go up in weight. If you can't do 12, go down in weight. This WILL get your results. Stick with weight training. It takes time to see results sometimes but you WILL see AND feel them.

Read the machines at the gym to learn how they work and ask the people who work there to give you a tour of the machines and explain their use and what they target. There is NOTHING wrong with someone new to weight lifting using the machines along with free weights. It gets you used to working with resistance and helps you keeps your form so you'll learn how something is supposed to feel when you do it with free weights.

PLEASE BE VERY CAUTIOUS OF WHAT SOME OF THESE PEOPLE THAT I'VE READ ON HERE ARE SAYING....
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

This is bad advice. There is something to be said for lifting with light weight and high reps but it's called hypertrophy... look it up.

Woman cannot get HUGE without taking supplements in order to do so... we don't have b*lls like men do... in other words, we don't have the amount of testosterone in the body in order to accomplish what men do in the way of muscles.... the majority of women don't anyway.....
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

Your trainer is wrong.
  • Lmaxwell
    Lmaxwell Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • imwendys
    imwendys Posts: 2
    Options
    I've done wt. training for years and in my opinion the best way to train properly is to find a qualified personal trainer. He/She will be able to set up a program that is specific for you. What might be a heavy wt. for another may not be for you. So much goes into fine tuning a wt. training program it would be impossible without professional guidance to access your level/ability. Good luck! It really is rewarding when you start to see the results. People constantly comment on my definition and don't believe my age! I'm addicted!
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Fire your trainer. That advice is complete BS. If you want to hear misleading exercise myths, there are plenty of people who will do that for free. Your best results will be obtained in the 5-15 reps to failure region, as a rule of thumb.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options

This is bad advice. There is something to be said for lifting with light weight and high reps but it's called hypertrophy... look it up.

Woman cannot get HUGE without taking supplements in order to do so... we don't have b*lls like men do... in other words, we don't have the amount of testosterone in the body in order to accomplish what men do in the way of muscles.... the majority of women don't anyway.....

Sad to see this. I also asked a trainer at my gym, and he said the same thing......"Absolutely women can get bulky." I argued back that we don't have the same chemicals in our bodies naturally to get bulky, and he said something along the lines of "We are all human." I just stopped the convo and agreed.:grumble:

Edit: Failed to mention earlier, I do 2-3 sets of 15 reps/work up to doing 15 reps. Once I get that, I'll move up my weight and aim to doing that for 15 reps.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    If you are trying to figure out how to use the weights, just ask someone. I've found that the guys over there are super helpful and will help us get the form right and tell us if we are doing it right. One today noticed my foot placement while bench pressing and helped me get it right, then showed me how to make it a little more challenging. One taught me how to use the squat bar. Just ask!!
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    If you are trying to figure out how to use the weights, just ask someone. I've found that the guys over there are super helpful and will help us get the form right and tell us if we are doing it right. One today noticed my foot placement while bench pressing and helped me get it right, then showed me how to make it a little more challenging. One taught me how to use the squat bar. Just ask!!

Any lady can get anything for free in a gym. Just sayin' :blushing: Guys LOVE helping the women out.