how many hours a day do you sit down??

Options
Im really sick of not losing anything so im literally counting all the hours i sit down :3 whats the average for you a day and how many do you think is normal :3

Replies

• swatkins1c
    Options
    Oh and i dont count when im actually exersizing while sitting like sit ups or 6 inches.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job @ a pc 8 hours a day. NOT something I want to do, but it's my job.

BUT.... I have made some alterations that have helped me shed some pounds and stay moving:

1) I have a bad back, the office chairs all hurt, so I went & bought a balance ball chair. I switch between it and a normal chair, but on the chair I bounce and sway, wiggle and squirm - all of which are helping burn calories and tone up muscles that a normal chair doesn't use.

2) During the "smoke" breaks - I walk around the building. It's not much, but at twice a day it can add up to 30min of moderate walking (2-2.5 mph) which helps work off stress, stretch my muscles and clear my head for a few minutes.

3) I have Morton's Nureoma - so I switched to Vibram's Five Finger running shoes. I wear there ALL day, everyday, unless my job requires boots (which is sometimes does). OMG.... my legs feel better, I walk faster because I had to adapt my method of walking (no more heel striking and long gait - now I mid foot fall and have a short stride which means I walk twice as fast to cover the same amount of time). It took several months to fully adapt but I won't go back until I really have to.

So now my legs are more in tone & I walk faster, so when I do travel the office, I feel I'm getting a little more benefit from the limited movement.
  • thisisthatverymab
    Options
    I have a desk job so I typically spend 12-13 hours stitting, 8-9 hours laying down (includes sleeping), and only 3-4 hours moving around. To make up for it, though, I typically walk 4 miles a day and exercising (part of my moving around time.)

Lindsey

14022182.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I work a desk job so I sit a minimum of 8 hours, but I set my Outlook to alarm every hour to get me out of this chair even if it's just to walk to the mailroom and back. On good days, I do three minutes of exercises each hour: chair squats, calf-raises, dips and wall pushups. It's amazing what you can pack into 3 minutes without calling attention to yourself.
  • swatkins1c
    Options
    thanks guys
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job so I sit a minimum of 8 hours, but I set my Outlook to alarm every hour to get me out of this chair even if it's just to walk to the mailroom and back. On good days, I do three minutes of exercises each hour: chair squats, calf-raises, dips and wall pushups. It's amazing what you can pack into 3 minutes without calling attention to yourself.

What a great idea....whish I had thought of it sooner!
  • butterfliespink
    Options
    8 hours-lovely desk job. I keep a 10 lb weight at my desk and do arm curls (10 time) every couple of hours. I get a 45 minute lunch so I walk. And I work on the 2nd floor so I take the stairs (multiple times a day now). When I get home, probably another hour or so, I like to relax before I go to bed. I bought some ankle weights so when I am sitting down I can do leg lifts, every little bit counts!
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I'm going to have to try that because I sit all day too and I hate it!
  • stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    9 hours on workdays. I go straigt from work to pick up my kids and then we go to the gym. After I get home I try and stand as much as I can. I eat dinner standing and I'll clean or get stuff ready for the next day. I usually don't sit down until about 45 minutes before bedtime. On the weekends it's probably more like 3-4 hours/day. I love my job but I wish there was a chance of getting a stand-up/sit down desk.
  • mich009
    mich009 Posts: 1
    Options
    Like many others I too work at a desk job. I work in a building with washrooms on every floor, so everytime I have to pee (which is a lot since I drink water all day). I take the stairs and use washrooms on various floors. Get my legs moving.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Sit my desk in front of a computer. Some days upwards of 10 12 hrs. ;(. But I'm going to start that little bit of exercising 3 mins and setting a timer mentioned above
    That is a great idea. Thanks for the info!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job working @ 10 hours a day. I fixed the issue by getting a treadmill desk and walk between 2-5 hours a day while working. In fact I am typing this while walking :)
  • butterfliespink
    Options
    I have a desk job working @ 10 hours a day. I fixed the issue by getting a treadmill desk and walk between 2-5 hours a day while working. In fact I am typing this while walking :)
    I wonder if my boss will let me expense one of these? :devil:
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My boss is great about things like health. Good thing about being the boss ;)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    in front of a pc for 8 hours a day. i get up for coffee/water/peepee