quick race day question

Options
KF1216
KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
My first 5k is tomorrow morning and I'm trying to figure out what time I need to be there. Registration is from 6:30-7:30 and the race starts at 8am. I already pre-registered online...so can I just show up at like 7:45 or do I need to still do the registration? It's going to be cold and windy tomorrow, I don't really feel like standing around outside for an hour before the race...thanks!!

Replies

• megarrett87
    Options
    How many people are expected to be there? Check to see how much parking is available because the less parking, the earlier you want to arrive. Also keep in mind the line for the bathroom will be super long! I would say be there at 7:30 and you should be fine. Good Luck!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I would shoot for 45 mins early. Then you can easily find parking, get your number, and wait in your car until time to line up.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Is there a packet to be picked up? The races I've done have packet pick up the day or two or three before the race. If there is and you haven't and it's something you need then you'll want to be there as early as possible. If that's not an issue then what the other guy posted sounds good.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Plan on an hour a head of time of packet pick-up and check in.

Good luck on your race
  • KF1216
    Options
    I'm guessing it's a pretty small race, it's only the second annual and I think I read there were 75people last yr. The starting line is only about a half mile from my house, I could almost just walk and that would warm me up:)
  • sjohnny
    Options
    If the starting line were a half mile from my house I would definitely walk. Good warm up before and cool down after.

For my first 5K my wife dropped me off at the start and then met me at the finish. She had to park a whole lot more than a half mile away. The area was absolutely packed with people.

Good Luck and Have Fun!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I just had a very small race a couple of weekends ago where the packet/bib pickup started about an hour before the race. Yes get there early. You will be nervous and need the extra time to get your bearings...and parking is ALWAYS a mess before races.
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have my first 5K race as a "competitive" runner tomorrow as well.

I am heading out in a bit to pick up my packet (I pre-registered) tonight so that I can get that little extra sleep in the morning and not feel so rushed. Also, want to look over everything, since I have never done this race/course before.
  • BenBz
    BenBz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it's a pretty small race, it's only the second annual and I think I read there were 75people last yr. The starting line is only about a half mile from my house, I could almost just walk and that would warm me up:)

I would go NO LESS than 30 minutes!
  • sarahtbland
    Options
    I like to be at a race about 30-45 minutes early just so I have time to mentally/physically prepare... walk around some to stretch and get the blood flowing, have time to go to the bathroom. It also gives you time to scope out the start/finish area and where you might want to go to start.

Good luck! A 5k is a ton of fun and an awesome atmosphere to be a part of. And remember, your only competition is yourself.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    If the starting line were a half mile from my house I would definitely walk. Good warm up before and cool down after.

It will probably take you longer to find parking so I agree with above you'd be best to head there on foot...and HOW EXCITING! Update us please when you are done!
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Defintitely walk. That takes parking out of things that could take longer than planned. If you have your packet, and don't need to pickup a timing chip, just get there with 10 minutes to spare.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    my bestie and i started going to 5k's in January and while it was cold the anticipation and nerves helped rev us up. We have one tomorrow and will be there about 45 min early. The 10k we are doing next weekend is alot bigger so i'm going to suggest we pick our packets up the night before to avoid the lines. Good luck to you and enjoy it nothing like crossing the finish line!!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I would say an hour before. Dress in layers and you can remove if needed :happy:

I had my first last weekend. It was so much fun! I have another this weekend. Already addicted! :drinker:
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Agree with 30 -45 ahead of time. That's time to park, use the potty, get your packet, go back to your car, take a short warm-up run, and get in line.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The last 5k I did, I got to the expressway exit I needed to get to 40 minutes before the start, giving me, in theory, enough time to register. And it was about 35F out. Took me 25 minutes to get off the expressway and get parked, 3 blocks from the exit. Then registration and packet pick up had a line usually reserved for bathrooms. I didn't get registered till 5 minutes after the race was scheduled to start. They swapped the 5k and the half start times, so I got to the start line with 2 minutes to spare, no time for warming up. Then, after the race, I had to wait almost 2 hours for results to be posted...

Anything can happen. I try to shoot for 45-60 minutes before start time.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    My first 5k is tomorrow morning and I'm trying to figure out what time I need to be there. Registration is from 6:30-7:30 and the race starts at 8am. I already pre-registered online...so can I just show up at like 7:45 or do I need to still do the registration? It's going to be cold and windy tomorrow, I don't really feel like standing around outside for an hour before the race...thanks!!

I don't recall you answering if you already picked up your packet with your race #, timing chip, t-shirt, etc. If so you can get all of those items on early before you leave the house. If not that 6:30 - 7:30 am time is when they want you to pick those items up so I'd say plan to get there no later than 7:00 am. Some bathrooms create a bottleneck especially for women so go there 30 minutes before race time. Enjoy the rest of the time walking through the crowds, finding friends and neighbors, and getting a little warming up and stretching in. Folks will congregating at the start line about 10 minutes before the start. PLEASE, if you are a slow runner, DO NOT go to the front! Enjoy your first 5K tomorrow.
  • KF1216
    Options

I don't recall you answering if you already picked up your packet with your race #, timing chip, t-shirt, etc. If so you can get all of those items on early before you leave the house. If not that 6:30 - 7:30 am time is when they want you to pick those items up so I'd say plan to get there no later than 7:00 am. Some bathrooms create a bottleneck especially for women so go there 30 minutes before race time. Enjoy the rest of the time walking through the crowds, finding friends and neighbors, and getting a little warming up and stretching in. Folks will congregating at the start line about 10 minutes before the start. PLEASE, if you are a slow runner, DO NOT go to the front! Enjoy your first 5K tomorrow.

oh, nope I didn't get a packet, it wasn't mentioned when I did the online registration. The only problem I forsee with walking is where do I leave my waterbottle/tshirt, etc....can I just set it somewhere? My husband will becoming with the kids to watch me finish but wont be there super early.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I always shoot to be at a a race between 1 hour to 45 minutes early. It's usually chaotic at the registration line and take a bit to get your bib. Plus figuring out where you start, when etc. Then warming up/stretching and potty breaks (I usually go once or twice just because of nerves). Bathroom lines are usually long.

That easily eats up 45 minutes even at the small races.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    If it's a half mile from the house I'd leave my water bottle in the icebox.