Ugh, sugar!!

Options
carrieous
carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
I decided to give up sugar and sugar substitutes about a month ago to see if that would help me lose these last 5 lbs. No sugar or sweetner in my coffee or tea, no honey on my low fat greek yogurt, and no more than 2 pieces of fruit per day.

Well in the past month I have been successful at staying at/under my goal of 33g per day about twice. It is so hard since sugar is in everything! Today I only had a small amount of blueberries on my greek yogurt- and no other fruits- and am already at 35g of sugar. How is it possible to stay at/under 33grams per day??

As a positive, I am not having nightmares anymore.
As a negative, the scale still has not budged.

RRRRGGGGG
/rant

Replies

• virruth
    virruth Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'd guess you have to give up all processed foods....go completely whole natural foods - with, as you said, no more than 2 fruits a day. Its so hard!
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Yogurt already has sugar in it, about 9 grams per cup, and adding blueberries to that is just going to increase it more. It's very possible to stay under 33g a day. Just don't eat anything sweet? Vegetables, most grains, meats, eggs, etc. None of these have significant amounts of sugar.
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    I reduced my carb in take which took away most of my sugars. Mine were scary high and I recently decided to cut them which entails cutting carbs. Except for my occassional slip up my sugars are staying under 33g but it's incredibly difficult and there isn't much out there I like that's low sugar
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Look up what Jillian Michaels says about how to lose those last few vanity pounds. The weight you want gone but probably is meant to stay there.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I decided to give up sugar and sugar substitutes about a month ago to see if that would help me lose these last 5 lbs. No sugar or sweetner in my coffee or tea, no honey on my low fat greek yogurt, and no more than 2 pieces of fruit per day.

Well in the past month I have been successful at staying at/under my goal of 33g per day about twice. It is so hard since sugar is in everything! Today I only had a small amount of blueberries on my greek yogurt- and no other fruits- and am already at 35g of sugar. How is it possible to stay at/under 33grams per day??

As a positive, I am not having nightmares anymore.
    As a negative, the scale still has not budged.

RRRRGGGGG
    /rant

You're a better person than I. I could never do it. I have given up adding sugar to drinks years ago and now use stevia exclusively. Also gave up soda years ago too, but at work there is far too much food around. Donuts, Pizza, Bagels its a nightmare.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Big difference between natural fruit sugars, and processed sugar!

I think...
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Big difference between natural fruit sugars, and processed sugar!

I think...

Not really. Fruit just has nutrients that come along for the ride. The actual sugars have little to no significant difference.
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about natural sugar from fruit. Its hard I gave up counting sugar it wasnt stalling my weight loss so idk. But other than that no processed foods they are chalk full of sugar and salt go figure.
  • damnedlady
    damnedlady Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm also battling a heavy addiction to sugar. No success so far. Only thing I have truly managed, is to stop drinking fruit juice or other sweet beverages and only drink water or black coffee and tea.

It just takes so much willpower to avoid sugary things for me, but I plan on making it! Sugar is one of those things we know does us no good, so keep fighting it ;)
  • mr_tv
    mr_tv Posts: 4
    Options
    Most likely you are already aware of this, but here goes. Does what you eat or drink have ANY high fructose Corn syrup in it? I have sworn off food that includes it. Think Soda. Anyway it is awful stuff for putting on the fat. More than sugar will from what I can gather. I was also surprised to hear that some breads include the high fructose corn syrup. When I went to buy my favorite bread, right there on the label... I had to find another bread to buy from now on. Yogurt. oh I love the stuff. I will be looking at the labels from now on to see what brand does not include the stuff. Good luck with the last five pounds.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Sugar itself is not what's going to be doing that much damage to you, weight loss wise, honestly. At the end of the day weight loss is calories in versus calories out. Optimal health is another story. The only real 'danger' as far as sugar goes for weight loss is that it may cause blood sugar crashes and cravings later on. Also they're delicious and hard to stop eating.

also...
    Most likely you are already aware of this, but here goes. Does what you eat or drink have ANY high fructose Corn syrup in it? I have sworn off food that includes it. Think Soda. Anyway it is awful stuff for putting on the fat. More than sugar will from what I can gather. I was also surprised to hear that some breads include the high fructose corn syrup. When I went to buy my favorite bread, right there on the label... I had to find another bread to buy from now on. Yogurt. oh I love the stuff. I will be looking at the labels from now on to see what brand does not include the stuff. Good luck with the last five pounds.

Not really. High fructose corn syrup is not significantly different from your standard sugar. See: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19064536? if you're interested.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    So, it didn't work.
    Go back to eating a balanced diet at a modest deficit, and the pounds will go away.
  • Gerry_Lane
    Options
    I agree with virruth....avoid processed foods. Also pay attention to the glycemic index of foods. Not all sugars are the same.
    Also, organic foods are better for you.

Gerry