5 Mile Walk?

Options
Hello,
I am on my second day of walking 5 miles a day at a 3.5 mph pace. My question was will this be beneficial to my weight loss? I am 335 pounds and i also am watching what i eat as well. Some jackal at work tried to tell me i wouldnt lose any weight at all.

Replies

• marzinator13
    marzinator13 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Of course it will be beneficial. Any excerise will help you to reach your goals. Once your body gets use to just walking though I would recommend making the incline higher or increase speed to your body is always challenged
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    of course it will! It is exercise! Keep it up!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Yep! Walking is a great form of exercise!! I'm heading out to do a 5-mile walk now. As you lose weight, you may need to walk longer/faster as your body adjusts to this form of exercise, but it'll definitely burn calories!
  • zamiesgirl
    Options
    Wow that was pretty cruel of your co worker. I mainly walk as well. I do the Leslie Sansone 5 really big mile walk. My knees are not the greatest so I have to watch what I do. I also so the 30 day Shred video. I have lost weight with just the walking and I have lost inches from the 30ds. You can do whatever you set your mind to. Good luck on your journey and dont let people like your co worker bring you down or make you not want to work out....
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to your coworker. He sounds like a d-bag. Any kind of physical activity helps and 5 miles is a LONG walk, and I bet you're burning quite a bit. Just make sure it's something you can stick with and don't let others discourage you! :flowerforyou:
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I lost 83 lbs in 15 months several years ago by counting calories and walking. The only other exercise I did was light workouts with 5 lb. dumbbells. You will lose weight.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    5 mile walks are GREAT for weight and especially FAT loss!!! Keep doing what you're doing!!! That's excellent!!! Lower impact may not burn more "calories", but long slow distance training does generally burn more fat!
  • Tanyaclare
    Tanyaclare Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    if you program the distance and also the time in to something like mymap or something then it will show you how many calories you have burned, step it up and keeping on moving any exercise will benifit

keep on walking x x
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Walking is still my primary form of exercise as I regularly walk my dog anywhere from 4-9 miles per day depending on her mood. Over time, I've added in swimming, jogging, strength training, biking and many other things, but walking helped me lose 150 pounds! Go for it!!
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Another bit of advice, if walking starts to feel easy, or if you're in a time crunch, doing interval training with walking and jogging is great. You can start by alternating 1 min walking and 30 seconds jogging and just gradually work your way up. I've found that sometimes, I burn even more by doing this than just jogging the whole time and it's a great way to burn a lot in a shorter period of time.
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you will lose weight from walking! That person has no clue what they are talking about. Of course....you still have to watch your calories and not eat twice as much as you burn off. I started off walking....worked my way to jogging and feel wonderful :)
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Of course it will be beneficial. Any excerise will help you to reach your goals. Once your body gets use to just walking though I would recommend making the incline higher or increase speed to your body is always challenged

Yep!! This ^^
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yes it will, as long as you aren't eating more calories than what you are burning in a day. Make sure you log your food in on here, it is a big help.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is awesome! Keep up the good work! As long as you stay within your calorie limits you will lose! All the walking you're doing is great for burning off lots of calories! Eventually as you become fitter....you will have to change up your cardio and add strength training but right now you are off to a great start!!!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Monitor how you feel and watch your walking form, I went gang busters for about a month. I went from sedentary to 10,000 to 15,000 steps a day. I managed to strain something in my calf and am now on rest.

The walking will help you lose weight and will be great for you, but don't injure yourself like I did. Slow and healthy beats fast and hurt everyday.
  • SHENITABEAUTIFUL
    Options
    Thxx everyone for the motivation and tips on my weight loss journey. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart :wink:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Tell the jackal he knows not of what he speaks. Walking is great exercise, if everyone in the developed world went for a good brisk half hour walk on a daily basis you'd see less obesity, less hypertension and fewer premature deaths from heart attack & stroke.
  • monie5903
    monie5903 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    A man named Papa Joe weighed 400 pounds. He lost 200 pounds in 18 months by walking 5 miles a day around his neighborhood and changing his diet. You can do it. Don't let others deter you from your goal!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Before I got serious with physical exercise, I was put in a situation where I had to walk a mile every couple of days. I still lost weight despite eating normally (not dieting at all). That jackal can't find his elbow with a flashlight and a magnifying glass.

But, of course losing weight is about sustaining a caloric deficit. According to MFP your walk is worth about 400 calories. If you eat at maintenance level, that 400 is a pretty nice deficit.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Ignore your co worker and listen to the people here. I love walking and am a huge Leslie Sansone fan. At this point, I'm actually doing C25K with plans for two 5K runs this fall. That's something to consider when you work yourself up to that point. There are several free C25K programs for iPod and smartphone. Keep up the good work!