hormones..

Options
I started my weight loss journey back in June, really only had around 10 pounds to lose or so, successfully did that and maintained that through mid January. Seems as though, since late February, I've been putting on weight consistently and I can't keep it off. I was home and bored for a bit, but I was tracking what I was eating accurately and netting 1,350, which still should have been a deficit from maintenance for me. In March/early April, I gained 5 pounds from eating at this level. My pants are tight and my hips have gotten so much bigger it seems. For the last 2-3 weeks, I've been being extremely careful about my eating in terms of eating healthfully and not too much. I'm walking probably at least 3 miles a day (a hilly campus, as well), not logging it, and working out (cardio stuff) for at least 35-40 minutes a day. I've been sticking to net 1,200 and have gone over by 100-200 calories about once or twice. My pants are getting TIGHTER. And evidently, eating more does not work for me either. I know I could be underestimating food or overestimating exercise since I don't have a HRM, but I've even been leaving a couple hundred cals for leeway at the end of the day. I shouldn't be gaining weight. At the least, I feel like I should be maintaining. One thing that clicked with me last night was that in mid-February, I started the combination birth control pill. I know everyone says the pill makes you gain weight because of your appetite increase (which I've DEFINITELY) noticed..but I've been being careful and paying attention to it and have never gained on this type of calorie regimen before (it's how I lost all the weight in the first place!) Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking about stopping the pill as it's caused me a lot of emotional instability as well--and anyone who has done that..can you do it mid-pack? Does it mess stuff up? Thank you!

Replies

• MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    BC pills can definately mess with you. Especially issues with retaining water....maybe check with the Dr. for an alternative.
  • CindiBryce
    CindiBryce Posts: 438
    Options
    That's rather odd.

But here's an informative article: http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-pills-weight-gain
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I can't personally relate, but having you as a MFP friend for a long time now, and seeing your diary and what not, I would think you'd be able to lose the weight that you've recently lost. I don't have experience with BC, but I know some friends who use it, and they did gain a little bit at first. Plus, some doctors I've known have said it's a side effect as well, depending on what kind.
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    I am in the same boat! Over the past few months I have been consistently putting on weight. I wasn't eating super clean all the time but not completely horrible either. I have a 1.6 mile commute on foot to and from campus and really could see nothing in my diet that was the culprit. Pretty much the only lifestyle change I had made was switching my bc brand so I have stopped taking it just to see how my body reacts. I don't know how long you've been taking hormonal bc, but my first week coming off it was hellish. It was like I went through horrible withdrawl symptoms or something like what Tv makes menopause out to be. It was bad. I'm hopeful that things will sort out soon though and I'll be able to lose weight again.