protien

Options
Does anyone else find themselves almost always over their suggested protien intake on here? I have always thought that protien was a very important component to getting in shape and building lean muscle. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find themselves almost always over their suggested protien intake on here? I have always thought that protien was a very important component to getting in shape and building lean muscle. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

you can only use so much, so there's no point going in for huge amounts. 0.7 to 0.9 grams per pound of "ideal weight" is one suggestion - the ideal weight being for your height ie the slim you or a "healthy twin".
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    All the time, and being under on Sugar. I'm diet/exercise controlled diabetic so I don't really worry about it so long as I'm not cutting out anything else I should be getting.
  • adu15
    adu15 Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks!!
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    More protein is not going to hurt you in any way, in fact it may even make your weight loss easier. Neither carbs or fat are more satiating than protein, and protein has a higher TEF than either of them as well. Don't worry about it so much, view the protein 'limit' as more of a minimum. Beyond that, as long as you stay under your calorie limit, there will be no "harm" done. Also, higher protein requirements are generally recommended on lower calorie diets to help preserve lean body mass.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

MFP's default settings are very low on protein, just 15% of intake, so don't panic if you are over it.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Protein intake for most people that do some sort of resistance training should be .8g to 1g per lb of lean body mass. MFP underestimates everything but the kitchen sink normally.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I shoot for at least 75 but usually hit 100 or more
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You can change those preset goals someone recently taught me :) My Home - Goals... somewhere in there.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I eat 125g daily... no matter what.

don't worry about going over :D Eating more protein won't hurt you either...
  • now_picture_this
    now_picture_this Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I personally don't use the default setting on MFP. I did custom and set my macros to 40% protein, 30% carbs and 30% fat (based on several recommendations from fitness sites) with 1300 calories but am considering upping to calories to 1400. I lift weights 3x a week for 45 min and cardio 2-3 times a week for 30 min. I personally think the default is way too low for protein.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    I eat alot of protein and I like it that way! It makes my body happier when I do, and I know I need it for the strength training