Wearing Your Calorie/Activity Tracker in Public

Options
I recently got a BodyMedia Fit and feel self-conscious about wearing it out in public. The last few times I've gone out, I've been able to hide it with a longer-sleeved top. Now that it's so hot and humid (SC) I can't. I know the good outweighs the bad, but I'm just wondering how those of you who have a device like this felt in the beginning. It screams "Hey! Fat girl here trying to lose weight!" I know I'll have to suck it up and just flaunt it, but I'd like to read about your experiences :)

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I think it screams, "Hey I care about my health and I want to be fit! So should you!" While it may not be the hottest new accessory this spring, it is absolutely not something to be ashamed of.

If somebody gives you crap, just tell them it's the newest bluetooth and act like they are stupid for not knowing.

***Edited to say I don't have a fitbit, but I wear an HRM that beeps like crazy when my HR drops too low. People give me weird looks, I just look at them weird back. Works everytime.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Look at it in a positive way. You're bettering yourself and anyone who passes judgment can f off lol.. I wear mine all day everyday. I only make exceptions when I go out to the club. I get questions on it all the time I just answer and go on my way.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I have had a BodyMedia Fit for 3 years now. I forget I have it on half the time, and most of the time no one really pays it any attention. Everyonce in a while I will get asked what it is, and not in a rude way. Don't worry about what other people think. When I have had to go out dressed for Military Balls I leave it at home, but that's it!
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have just worn my bodymedia fir through an Aussie summer and,yeah, people notice and comment/ask about it. I just say that it's a pedometer and leave it at that. I've had no negative comments, just encouragement. The only times I have taken it off (other than showering and swimming) was when I dressed up for special events such as weddings. I even wore it to work where people noticed, commented and then forgot about it. No I feel naked without it!
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I blinged mine! I put rhinestones on the band and on the face. I think of it as a pretty accessory! I wear it all the time, and all summer long. You could also wear it on your calf if you're not wearing shorts, but I wouldn't do that every day. Or try it and compare your readings to see if they stay consistent.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Wear in around your ankle and tell them you're on house arrest. Or better yet that you have a lindsay lohan alcohol bracelet.

JK - I bet a lot less people notice it than you think, and only a percent of those people will know what it is.
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what people think of my Fitbit. When I ordered it, I didn't realize it was so tiny and I am a student who is prone to losing things, so I couldn't afford to let mine wander off. So I paid around $2 each for these pocketed wristbands. Voila. I was wearing it inside the sleep wristband that comes with it but it started getting grubby. These two thingies fit the bill and are more durable than the sleep wristband.

FitbitPockets.jpg
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I really don't care what people think of my Fitbit. When I ordered it, I didn't realize it was so tiny and I am a student who is prone to losing things, so I couldn't afford to let mine wander off. So I paid around $2 each for these pocketed wristbands. Voila. I was wearing it inside the sleep wristband that comes with it but it started getting grubby. These two thingies fit the bill and are more durable than the sleep wristband.

FitbitPockets.jpg

WoW! How cool! The wrist band that came with my Fitbit is looking grubby too. I was pondering making something, but I like your idea! Thanks!

And frankly, I dont care who sees it nor what they think!!!!!
  • equinescrapper
    Options
    Let them stare! I wear my FitBit on my bra. Every.Single.Day. I like knowing how many steps I've taken that day, and am trying to add more the next day. No one notices it on my bra, and it won't get bumped or anything (like it would say, on your jeans/pants). I've had it almost a year and this works for me. You could try it there if the looks really bother you. :)
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you wanted something discreet you could have gone with a FitBit. I clip mine to my pants pocket and no one ever notices it's there. If anything it looks like a cell phone or MP3 player clip. The bra is even more hidden. That's part of the reason I went with the FitBit over the Bodybugg or Bodymedia fit.

But, who cares if they stare... get used to it because they'll stare at you when you start looking even better!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Wear in around your ankle and tell them you're on house arrest. Or better yet that you have a lindsay lohan alcohol bracelet.

JK - I bet a lot less people notice it than you think, and only a percent of those people will know what it is.

LMAO @ ON HOUSE ARREST
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I used to have a pedometer that clipped to my belt. I didn't care who saw me wear it.

The one I have now tucks nicely into the small pocket of my jeans.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Does anyone that has worn one for awhile switch the arm you wear it on? I've noticed my one arm seems to be causing my muscle to grow weird around it (don't laugh). :laugh: I'm not sure if it's just because I hardly take it off and it will bounce right back if I leave it off long enough, but it has me concerned and I've been considering not wearing it anymore. I can pretty much guess what my calorie burn will be depending on whether I work out or not, but there have been days I'm really glad I wore it (weekends especially).
  • Muddybear7
    Muddybear7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input, not to mention the encouragement! I absolutely love my BMF, and you've made me see things in a different light!