Question about strength training

Options
124»

Replies

• shimmer_glo
    shimmer_glo Posts: 103 Member
    Options

The compound lifts will hit all the different muscles, just not in isolation. It is a more natural way to train, because in real life (pushing, pulling, lifting, etc.), you rarely use a single muscle to the exclusion of all else. Because it involves a whole bunch of muscles during one exercise, it is also more efficient. For me anyway, engaging the larger muscles during strength training also keeps the heart rate up.

There is nothing really wrong with isolation exercises, they're not really necessary or efficient, that's all.

Makes sense.
  • shimmer_glo
    Options
    Triceps specific workouts, won't 'firm' your triceps. Sometimes you'll even look flabbier because your fat will still be over the muscles you're building beneath. Compound exercises burn overall body fat by engaging multiple muscles, that then need repair. Triceps specific workouts burn little fat period, but do build muscle under the existing fat as I said.

I realize I have to do a lot of cardio and eat properly to lose fat and see the results of weight training, and that cardio burns more immediate calories than weight training (though building muscle burns calories long term.) However, doesn't every weight bearing exercise work generally the same way -- it breaks down muscles and they repair themselves? Are you saying that, aside from being more time efficient, compound exercises are superior because they require more effort, elevating your heart rate and burning more calories?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I realize I have to do a lot of cardio and eat properly to lose fat and see the results of weight training, and that cardio burns more immediate calories than weight training (though building muscle burns calories long term.) However, doesn't every weight bearing exercise work generally the same way -- it breaks down muscles and they repair themselves? Are you saying that, aside from being more time efficient, compound exercises are superior because they require more effort, elevating your heart rate and burning more calories?

'Needing' cardiovascular exercises to burn fat is a very persistent myth. Eating properly, and heavy strength training alone will do things very quickly that cardiovascular workouts would take months to achieve...if ever. Not saying cardio isn't good or healthy for you...just saying that a: it isn't necessary for fat loss, and b: some people even believe its somewhat counterproductive for fat loss (talking steady state treadmill type stuff).

Now, for the rest of what you said...the answer is yes...sort of. Its not about burning more calories, afterburn, or any of that. Its about hormone production, and telling your body 'THIS LEAN MASS IS NECESSARY!!...BURN FAT!!'. Cardio cannot provide that hormonal response...and the greater the effort involved in your workouts...the greater this response can be.

Keep in mind this is a simplified response...but it gives you a way to grasp it with your mind that is easily understandable.
  • shimmer_glo
    Options
    That information is too far off my grid for a response right now. I don't even know what to do with it. I think I'm going to keep the things I've learned about compound exercises in mind, and continue tweeking my current weight routine. As far as what you just said about cardio, weight training, hormones, and fat loss, I will have to wait till another time to learn more about those theories and ideas.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    That information is too far off my grid for a response right now. I don't even know what to do with it. I think I'm going to keep the things I've learned about compound exercises in mind, and continue tweeking my current weight routine. As far as what you just said about cardio, weight training, hormones, and fat loss, I will have to wait till another time to learn more about those theories and ideas.

Lift heavy (relative to your strength) weights using compound movements.
    Do some aerobic exercise, but don't overdo it.
    Eat enough food to fuel adaptation, but enough of a reduced intake that you'll still lose weight.

That's the simplest thing I think you can take away from this whole thread. The rep ranges will vary depending on who you ask, but if you're doing 15-20 reps per set of something, that's definitely too many.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Lift heavy (relative to your strength) weights using compound movements.
    Do some aerobic exercise, but don't overdo it.
    Eat enough food to fuel adaptation, but enough of a reduced intake that you'll still lose weight.

That's the simplest thing I think you can take away from this whole thread.

I agree.
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    I wold switch it up to see how you respond to it. Everyone's body is different, try something new!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    If you can't manage 5-8 lbs how do you carry grocery bags or a big purse?

I am the same way with lateral raises. It is my weakest part. I can lift heavier in every other direction (even overhead). I struggle with my full water pitcher, and I can only do 10-12 sets of 8# of lateral raise. Bicep curl, more like 15# and I haven't tried 20 yet. Overhead press is 2 x 12#

Some of us are weaker in the shoulders. Especially when lifting above our hearts. (I carry a heavy purse, and make one trip with the groceries upstairs. Easily 10-25 pounds in each arm per trip.)
  • shimmer_glo
    Options
    If you can't manage 5-8 lbs how do you carry grocery bags or a big purse?

I am the same way with lateral raises. It is my weakest part. I can lift heavier in every other direction (even overhead). I struggle with my full water pitcher, and I can only do 10-12 sets of 8# of lateral raise. Bicep curl, more like 15# and I haven't tried 20 yet. Overhead press is 2 x 12#

Some of us are weaker in the shoulders. Especially when lifting above our hearts. (I carry a heavy purse, and make one trip with the groceries upstairs. Easily 10-25 pounds in each arm per trip.)

Thank you for posting! Here's to improving our strength. :)
  • BAtobe
    BAtobe Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bump for later