Could it be something I've eaten?

Options
::Warning - Personal and might be a bit of a TMI topic for some::

I generally have about 1 yeast infection a year since I was about 12. I just happen to be one of those people I guess. But what I'm wondering is if it could be connected to something I've eaten?

I've had 2 this year (in the middle of the second one right now) and that just seems a little extreme (even for me). The first one I got this year was about 2 weeks into my new eating habits. Now that I'm 3 months into it I'm getting one again.

Does anyone know if diet can trigger these or am I just really unlucky?

Replies

• 135gratitude
    Options
    You might have yeast in your system. Do you eat sugar or white flour prdocuts at all?

My naturopath but me on a yeast eliminating diet, whereby I was to eliminate all sugar, fruit, wheat, gluten, and dairy from my diet for 2 weeks, and take a good quality probiotic supplement (not Activia yogurt for example!). It might be worth trying at least the elimination diet, as I felt really great in those two weeks!

After the two weeks you can introduce back whole grains and fruit (or you may need it longer if things are not fully cleared up - so to speak!).

Good luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I do eat A LOT of fruit. That might be it.

Fruit is my friend though :sad:. I have to keep up the sugar due to my hypoglycemia so need to figure out an alternative I guess.
  • TheNatKitchen
    TheNatKitchen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to this also, but have kept it under control for couple of years now. Have you tried yogurt and probiotics? These will help buid up the "good guys" down there so the yeast doesn't take over. It will help with your intestinal tract to :blushing:

Any yogurt with live active cultures will do, andyou can get probiotics at any health food store.
  • pinkissheek
    Options
    have u recently been sick...because antibiotics cause a lot of women to have yeast infections! I just got done with tonsilitus (sp?) and i have a yeast infection from the meds:sick:
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nope not been sick. That's been one of the major pluses about the new eating. I am not getting as many colds as I used to (and I used to get A LOT - like once a month I'd have a really bad cold).

Now I've just gotta figure out what probiotics are. lol
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    Just head to your local health food store and ask for a good quality probiotic - they should be able to help you. Genestra HMF powder is excellent - is is expensive, but not only will it help with the yeast infection, but it will put good bacterial in your gut, and it will help to aid with your weight loss (in a cleansing sort of way - good for your system if you know what I mean!). The probiotics in yogurt are not enough, and the quality and stability are questionable (also you literally have to take them for 12 days straight to get any benefit).

I really think killing the candida in the body will help with the situation.
    :flowerforyou:
    Betty
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You might have yeast in your system.

Everyone has yeast in their digestive tract and genital area--it's part of the normal microbial flora. However as someone mentioned things can throw off the balance allowing the yeast to overgrow, like taking antibiotics for bacterial infections. Probiotics may help.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    What kind of soap are you using? Laundry detergent? Condoms? Are you sure it's a yeast infection? There are other inflammatory issues that occur in the vagina that can mimic a yeast infection but are in fact bacterial in nature. And some inflammation is just dermatitis caused by sensitivity to latex or even non-latex condoms and soaps.
  • Demetria
    Options
    Hmmm I do eat A LOT of fruit. That might be it.

Fruit is my friend though :sad:. I have to keep up the sugar due to my hypoglycemia so need to figure out an alternative I guess.

yogurt has the good bacteria in it which I think is what the probiotics are and make sure to change out of sweaty underwear asap, tight clothing can contribute to yeast growth, make sure and use the restroom after sex. For a particularly bad bout of yeast infection try to "air" out as much as possible, kwim, lol.

I think the refined sugar, white processed flour is more likely to upset your balance versus natural fruit sugars. I wouldn't give up on the fruit.

Are you taking any meds for the yeast infection? I seen a new product called RePhesh which is supposed to help keep you balanced. You are always going to have bacteria and yeast, the trick is not having too much of one than the other.

Drink plenty of water.

hth,
    Demetria

I thought I had a yeast infection and went to the doc, urine test, it was actually a bacterial infection. So they put me on antibiotics and I have been fine since.