Someone please, help me with a plateau!!!!!!!!

Options
Ok, I've been at a plateau for a little over a month, maybe a little more. I am stuck and now I've gained 3.5 lbs this week!!

First, I've increased my workout time. I went from running 3 days a week (around 15 miles a week) to running 3 days plus strength training 2 days, elliptical 1 day (so a total of 6 days a week).

Second, I was eating around 1400 cals (plus exercise cals) each day, but have decreased that to 1200 (not sure what else to do)...some days I eat more than 1200 and I always eat at least half of my exercise cals (on most days I eat all of them lol). I also eat fairly healthy, mostly trying to eat clean.

Third, I am drinking more water.

I'm not sure what else I can do. Do you think I maybe gained some muscle (I can see muscles on me)? My clothes are fitting pretty much the same.

What about increasing cals? Should I try maint cals for a week? What is maint cals? 1800? I know I can't decrease my cals. How do I know if my body is in starvation mode? Do you think I put myself in starvation mode going from 1400 to 1200 cals? I didn't think it would but maybe I'm wrong?

I just started going to the gym 2 weeks ago. How long does it take for my body to catch up with me?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get over this???? I am so so so frustrated!!!!

Thank you!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    to find your maintenance calories, go back to goals and put in "Maintain my current weight", that will give you your maintenance calories. I would do that first, then figure on going about 400 to 500 below to start. NOTE: slowly add your calories until you're at the calorie goal you set. Don't just start eating that amount right away, you want to do no more than a 100 calorie a week increase. Once you reach that goal calories, stay there for a few weeks and see what you are doing. You may need to tweak, IMHO in your case, I would tweak UP by 50 calories every two weeks until you reach 300 calories or so, and remember, give it a few weeks every time you tweak.
  • ramahl
    ramahl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    my guess is at this point, it's probably more about the KIND of calories you eat, not how many.

It's still important to keep that calorie count at or around 1400, but maybe just mixing it up (less salt, sugar, etc).

One thing you could try for a week is the South Beach Diet Phase 1....get off carbs (which turn to sugar in your system) and go high protein...that may shake your body out of a rut.
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    5 Ways to Break a Weight Loss Plateau

1. Zig-Zag Calorie Intake
    Zig-zagging, or calorie cycling is the process of varying daily calorie intake, while maintaining the same weekly intake. Instead of consuming (for example) precisely 1800 calories each day - you can mix it up. Eat 1500 calories one day, and 2100 calories the next. This can be as simple as halving then doubling a portion size, or adding a post-workout shake into the plan. Just keep your body guessing.

2. Strength Training
    If you are not doing this as part of your program or lifestyle, then it's time to start. Working your muscles will help to strengthen bone tissue, increase lean mass, and ultimately boost metabolic rate.

3. Change Your Exercise Routine
    So you go walking a lot? Then try jogging, or swimming, or cycling -- anything that will change the way your body is working. If you are doing low intensity cardio work, then try some high intensity exercise.

4. Alter Macro-nutrient Intake
    Although it sounds complicated, once again, the idea is to change what you are eating. If (for example) you are eating a moderate diet that is higher in carbs - try eating less carbs and more protein. There is no need to get super-technical over the whole thing. If you have a carbohydrate snack every day at morning tea time - change it to a protein snack. Whatever you are doing consistently - try mixing it up a bit.

5. Change Meal Frequency
    If you are eating three square meals a day - start adding snacks in between (which may mean reducing the portion size of the main meals). Eating often is an old and common style of eating - once again, you are trying to boost your metabolic rate.
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've been stuck for a month now at my current weight. However I noticed a pattern in my weightloss by looking at my reports. I drop 10 lbs over 2 weeks then platuea for 1 month then drop 10 lbs again. Each person loses weight differently. Try looking at your reports and see if you can find a pattern.
  • BCase
    BCase Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fiber, fiber, fiber. This will help let the new water consumption be released!
    It's not a problem if you increased your calories. However, it's what you increased them with!!!
    Try eating 38g of fiber a day. I'll bet you lose the new weight and more!!!
  • annaliza
    Options
    to find your maintenance calories, go back to goals and put in "Maintain my current weight", that will give you your maintenance calories. I would do that first, then figure on going about 400 to 500 below to start. NOTE: slowly add your calories until you're at the calorie goal you set. Don't just start eating that amount right away, you want to do no more than a 100 calorie a week increase. Once you reach that goal calories, stay there for a few weeks and see what you are doing. You may need to tweak, IMHO in your case, I would tweak UP by 50 calories every two weeks until you reach 300 calories or so, and remember, give it a few weeks every time you tweak.

Ah ha! Maybe I tweaked my diet too quickly! I just did "bam, now I eat 1200 cals"....and then I didn't give myself enough time at that level to see if it worked (I didn't give it a few weeks).

I tweaked my goals and my maint cals are 1800 (ohh, so sad to be a small girl lol)...at 500 below, that starts me out at 1300 cals to build up from there.

Thank you. I will try this and see if I can't kick start my weightloss again.
  • annaliza
    Options
    Fiber, fiber, fiber. This will help let the new water consumption be released!
    It's not a problem if you increased your calories. However, it's what you increased them with!!!
    Try eating 38g of fiber a day. I'll bet you lose the new weight and more!!!

Hmm, that's a good idea. Several weeks ago I realized that I ate way over in fiber so I decreased it. Maybe all that fiber is what I needed after all lol
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    For me watching my sodium really made a difference. You can add it to what shows on your food diary by going to settings. Once I started watching that I found that so many "diet" foods are really high in sodium and in sugar, that lead me to "Clean eating" and since I started that about a month ago I've noticed a much more consistent weight loss.
  • annaliza
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I've been stuck for a month now at my current weight. However I noticed a pattern in my weightloss by looking at my reports. I drop 10 lbs over 2 weeks then platuea for 1 month then drop 10 lbs again. Each person loses weight differently. Try looking at your reports and see if you can find a pattern.

Yep, I do do that....I'll plateau for a little bit, then lose weight....but this time is the longest time that I've stayed level with my weight. Hopefully that will change soon as it is very frustrating.

Thanks for all the info you posted. It was good to read. I really appreciate it!
  • annaliza
    Options
    my guess is at this point, it's probably more about the KIND of calories you eat, not how many.

It's still important to keep that calorie count at or around 1400, but maybe just mixing it up (less salt, sugar, etc).

One thing you could try for a week is the South Beach Diet Phase 1....get off carbs (which turn to sugar in your system) and go high protein...that may shake your body out of a rut.

I'd love to go carb-less but that is not a diet for me lol. I wouldnt be able to maintain it since I like toast with my eggs and bacon lol. But maybe trying it for a week wouldn't be so bad. I remember doing the Atkins diet once....lost a good amount of weight but it wasn't something I could maintain (my hat goes off to those that can do it!)...so of course I gained it all back.

I have been trying to eat more protein lately because of the strength training.
    Thanks for the advice!
  • annaliza
    Options
    For me watching my sodium really made a difference. You can add it to what shows on your food diary by going to settings. Once I started watching that I found that so many "diet" foods are really high in sodium and in sugar, that lead me to "Clean eating" and since I started that about a month ago I've noticed a much more consistent weight loss.

Youre right....I try to stay away from diet foods because of the sodium. I have high blood pressure so I have to keep away from the salt. I keep track of it in my food diary.

So I looked back at my food diary...and there were some high sodium days so that looks like that something I need to pay more attention to.

Thanks!
  • preggo5
    Options
    bump
  • annaliza
    Options
    bump

Thanks for the bump :smile: I appreciate it!!
  • angelica0042
    Options
    HI, I'm at a plateau also, but from reading your post I think the start of lifting weights and drinking more water is the cause. Which isn't a bad thing, just remember your body is going to conserve the extra water you are giving it. Just keep up with the water intake. Your body will not think you are not going to stop giving it extra water & then in about 2 weeks you will start shedding the water weight. In regards to the weight training, muscle weighs more than fat. So, with building muscle make sure you give yourself a break (like a day in between workouts.) The more muscle your body has the more fat will burn even on your off days. So just keep what you are doing. Good Luck!
  • annaliza
    Options
    HI, I'm at a plateau also, but from reading your post I think the start of lifting weights and drinking more water is the cause. Which isn't a bad thing, just remember your body is going to conserve the extra water you are giving it. Just keep up with the water intake. Your body will not think you are not going to stop giving it extra water & then in about 2 weeks you will start shedding the water weight. In regards to the weight training, muscle weighs more than fat. So, with building muscle make sure you give yourself a break (like a day in between workouts.) The more muscle your body has the more fat will burn even on your off days. So just keep what you are doing. Good Luck!

I knew muscle weighed more than fat...lol, but I was scared to believe that in case I'm wrong lol...you know, I just didnt want to be hopeful.

Thanks for the water info...I didn't think of that. Maybe I'm being too impatient.

Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • angiered
    angiered Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that it's water weight, because the of the change in your workout routine. Just keep pluggin away!