New rules of lifting...for women?

Options
A male friend is lending me the book New Rules of Lifting but it's not the one for women. Should I bother borrowing it or is it only for men? I don't have access to the one specifically for women and wanted to start going to the gym but need a plan. Can anyone advise me on this?

Replies

• amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I haven't read the "men's version" but the author essentially wrote the women's book to give women a more friendly intro to training and address some female issues. As for the actual workouts, he stresses repeatedly that women should train like men do so I think you'd be fine. The women's version begins with the big muscle group exercises like barbell squats, deadlifts, pushups, etc. I really liked the NROLFW though and if you have a chance to pick it up I highly recommend it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    they are both good programs and either gender can use them, so it's not like the for women version has to hook up weights to fallopian tubes in order to do them :smile:

the for women book gives a lot of information for women new to lifting, including lots of info on why you should lift heavy.

the regular new rules has less frilly exercises but that doesnt mean the ones in the for women version are bad. there are LOTS of traditional strength and power moves in the women's versions (squats, deadlifts, front squat push press, 1 arm DB snatch, negative pullups, etc)

there's also an ab version which i havent checked out yet and i hear the authors are coming out with another version for seniors.

to make a long story short, i'd recommend it. this is my second time doing it and i like it
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot. I'm going to borrow it then, until I can get my hands on the one specifically for women.
  • saraparris82
    Options
    Late reply, but I've been doing the men's version for 3 weeks and am doing just fine! I think as long as you are willing to lift heavy you don't need the female version. We all put on muscle the same way.

Good luck!