Curves

Has anybody ever belonged to a Curves gym before? If yes, what did you think of it - I have heard so many mixed things about it but I think it might be a good way for me to get back into the routine of exercise.

My other thought was just to buy an exercise bike and pair that with a pilates DVD - I did this in the past and got great results...

Not sure, what do you think?

Replies

• NoDonut
    NoDonut Posts: 6
    Has anybody ever belonged to a Curves gym before? If yes, what did you think of it - I have heard so many mixed things about it but I think it might be a good way for me to get back into the routine of exercise.

My other thought was just to buy an exercise bike and pair that with a pilates DVD - I did this in the past and got great results...

Not sure, what do you think?
  • Rachel89
    Rachel89 Posts: 68
    i have never been to curves before..... how i look at it is if you can stick to something it will work for you... i always had a hard time going to the gym because i was alone and i couldn't get my butt to get there... now i am working out at home with my sister in law and i love it and it is easy because i have someone!
  • Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    I've done Curves before. I liked it, but it got to a point where I got bored, because I would go and do the same workout at least 3 times a week! I like to mix things up and I like to go to the gym so I joined Gold's and it's actually cheaper for me too, than with Curves. I would say if you're looking into Curves, you should ask them if you can go try it as a guest first, then see what you think, because it's really just personal preference.

Good Luck! :happy:
  • I did Curves also. I decided to go with Curves because after moving from California to Arizona I had no gym nearby my home. Curves was the closest thing to me. I lost 6lbs in one month and felt stronger! It's like everything if you stick to it you will get results. I like it because they keep track of everyone's results and after months of attending you can see the changes in others. They always have some fun contest going on to keep everyone motivated. I would suggest you do other exercises at home or outdoors so you don't get bored of the Curves workout. I had to cancel my membership last year because of an injury, but I've been thinking of going back .
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    I have been a member of Curves. (about 5 years ago)

It's a low impact workout that tones & strengthens. It works....there's not much variety though. Unlike other gyms, it is a social event while you are there.

Stop in & see if you can try it for a week or two - if they are the same as my area, they will let you.
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    my experience with curves was not that great. they always told me i was pushing too hard, and i should take it easier. they'd say this after i had barely broken a sweat. i think curves is a good starting point for women, especially if you've never been to a gym or worked on any kind of machine before. the training is great, but if you're looking for something high impact, curves is not it.
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    I used to work at curves and I was a member. It's a great workout if you really push hard. That's the thing I didn't like, there are so many women and everyone gets to talking and they just kinda go through the motions of working out. And just like emtink said, the workers don't push you hard at all. They seem to think everyone is over 50 and really really out of shape. So if you can ignore the gossip and ignore the peppy, non pushing trainers, and push yourself really hard then it's a great workout :laugh: I kinda think it's too much money for what they offer though. And I think the bike and pilates thing will work great. I work out at home and it's worked for me. I think curves offers a free week. Try it out and see what you think. Do whatever fits you best :smile:
  • I am a former Curves trainer. I worked for Curves for about 6 months in which time there was a high turn over from the clients. When I asked why women were stopping the curves gym, they said they didn't feel like they were getting enough of a work out to see a difference. After seeing and learning how the machines work, I feel it is a great work out if you don't want anything too rigorous or you don't expect a lot of results. If you want to see big results, I would look into something different. I hope this helps and I hope I didn't sound too negative. I'm just sharing my personal experience. Hope it helps your decision!

Holli
  • I would go with what works for you. I belonged to Curves for about a month and it didn't do anything for me. If you want a gym experience, join one that has real weight machines. I am a member of snap fitness and I :heart: it!
  • delanahub
    delanahub Posts: 56
    Hi there, the best thing you can do to reach your fitness goals at curves or at home is purchase a heart rate monitor so you can track your own progress. If you work with your heart rate anywhere from 60;80% of your max heart rate, you will begin to see cardiovascular results. Our bodies will begin to plateau at about 6 weeks, so with curves you don't have many options to change your workout. I recommend a full gym, or with curves you must be dilligent about cross training. I am an ACE certified personal trainer and a Registered Yoga Teacher. Ultimately, find a program you can stick to, and that you enjoy.