Walking at the grocery store

Options
So I was wondering if it's acceptable to log walking if you're grocery shopping or just shopping in general? I spent at least an hour pushing my 16lb baby at Central Market, which is larger then most grocery stores. Is it cheating to count this towards exercise?

Replies

• tinacmurray
    Options
    Nope, count every minute especially when you're pushing not only the baby but a full grocery cart.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I only log something like that if I had to walk to get there but I set my activity level at "lightly active" so I count that toward my activity level
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Count it, walking is walking. Maybe subtract 5-15 minutes for when your stopped and looking at stuff or waiting in the check-out.
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I only logged 35 minutes of over 1 hour of grocery, sporting goods, and random shopping today. I always park a bit away from the door too, so I'll have to carry the kid to it for extra work.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    So I was wondering if it's acceptable to log walking if you're grocery shopping or just shopping in general? I spent at least an hour pushing my 16lb baby at Central Market, which is larger then most grocery stores. Is it cheating to count this towards exercise?

I intentionally set my lifestyle to "sedentary" so I can log everything I do if I want. :)
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I don't count it as exercise. I do participate in a daily step challenge with a goal of 10,000. So I get to post it there. That keeps me accountable for maintaining my lightly active activity claim in the MFP setup. But I take my pedometer off when I do other exercises like running or bicycle - those I record.

If you crawl and roll around on the floor with your baby and play tickle games, that's exercise - low impact aerobics!