How much sodium?

Options
How much sodium should a 22 yr old woman whose 5'9" be consuming a day?

Replies

• PinkDog
    PinkDog Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    No more than 2500mgs

Good luck! It is tough!

Although -- it makes a HUGE difference on appetite!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    No more than 2400mg a day. They say you only need 500mg a day for what your body uses it for.
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    i only average about 500 mg of sodium. is that bad?
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    i only average about 500 mg of sodium. is that bad?

No, that's perfect.
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Banks has said in the past that your body won't function properly if you don't have enough sodium......so I would research this a little bit more. I think 500mg might be too low.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that 1500 is about the minimum for adults. And that for every hour you exercise you should add 200 to 300 mg because the body will expel sodium via sweat. Where did you hear 500. I know too much sodium isn't good for blood pressure, but too little sodium can have severe effects on you as well, such as lethargy, headaches, muscle cramps, and further depletion can cause disorientation, inappropriate behavior (sodium affects the brain strongly), nausea, dizzyness.

These are, obviously, extreme symptoms; but still things to be noted, especially if you work out really hard.
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    I am sodium restricted and I still get 2000. Most days I take in much less but my body doesn't filter it out normaly. In addition when I do endurance training I will drink half a bottle.
    This would be a great question for your MD.