on paxil and gained 50lbs. Anyone relate?

Options
I just found this site and I am praying it helps be lose all the weight I have gained over the past 11 yrs. Paxil has helped me so much with depression/anxiety. But..... tons of weight came with it.

I was wondered if anyone else has had this experience?

Thanks,

Replies

• Obreezes
    Obreezes Posts: 35
    Options
    Absolutely have had this experience with meds. Unfortunately I don't have any good tips for you because I have struggled with it for years. The only thing I can suggest is to talk to your psych about it and see what suggestions he/she may have. Maybe a different med? Drink lots of water...it helps a bit.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can relate! I sent you a friend request!
  • Chigger56
    Chigger56 Posts: 105
    Options
    Oh yes...pack it on paxil. Never had a weight issue untill I started taking it for OCD. Took it for 10 yrs. Am now off of it and on citalopram and it works just as good for me and it doesn't have the weight gain. The weight is coming off pretty darn good, too!! Its too bad that something that can help so much can be so bad for weight.
  • Julielynn83
    Julielynn83 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Zoloft did it to me! I am now in the process of getting off it and it is so bad! I would of never started if I knew this would happen! I am going to try wellbutrin. I heard it does not cause weight gain!
  • thinkpositively
    Options
    I'm on Seroquel and it did the same thing to me.
  • vgambino
    vgambino Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm here for ya! Four months of training and not a pound lost due to being on Abilify. So I stopped taking it. I am in no way recommending you do the same, but I had to make a choice, so I chose to stop taking it. I still take my Cymbalta without fail, though. You're not alone!!

Put on 20 lbs since last october too due to Abilify
  • LBS2LOOZ
    LBS2LOOZ Posts: 2
    Options
    I gained 60 on paxil. It did me in, never been able to lose the weight since. Though I dont take paxil anymore, I have to take another anti-depressant/anxiety for the rest of my life. Working hard to lose weight. I feel your pain & dont let any Dr tell that it isn't the drug.

Currently on Effexor. Haven't gained extra weight but haven't been losing easily either.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    My old roommate was on Paxil. It didn't necessarily make her gain weight. It did, however, make her sleepwalk, and while she slept walk she binge ate carbs and binge drank alcohol. She would literally eat half a loaf of bread and drink half a handle of vodka in one night. It obviously stalled her weight loss though!

That was quite the adventure for a few months there...
  • BigBodyBobby
    Options
    Seroquel,Lithium and Zoloft all help get me to where I am today, Unhealthy and miserable. But I can tell you that this site has been amazing in helping me control my weight. The dietitian at my Dr.'s office introduced me to this site. And in 40 days I have shed 21 lbs. I know hat the first initial big loss was water weight, but I have lost.Everyone on here has been extremely supportive in my journey to get healthy and happy! So good luck on your journey and feel free to add me if you like!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I currently take 3 different antidepressants. When I started on them I gained over 50 lbs. It just takes a lot more work to lose this weight being on them. You can do it, really, it is possible. Feel free to add me.