Newbie! :)

Options
Moyer22
Moyer22 Posts: 20 Member
Hey everyone! I just joined this site a few days ago and so far I love it! I've tried to track my eating habits before, but always gave up because it was too complicated. This site makes it SO easy. It is also a giant wakeup call to see how disgusting and unhealthy I eat most of the time. I also just joined the "lose 5 pounds in May group" so I'm excited about that. Well I just wanted to say hi to everyone and look for a few friends to motivate/keep me motivated.

I'll post a little bit about myself if you would like to read. Apologies in advance if I skip around with topics.

My name is Sam and I am 21. I am very into having a healthy lifestyle, but for some reason I can never stick with it. I love cooking and eating healthy foods but I also love junk food. I love to exercise but don't do it as much as I should. I think that now is the perfect time to make a change, as I am in the process of moving out of my parents' house (all they buy is junk food! so I can definitely control my own groceries now) and the weather is getting nicer (meaning I will be outside and much more active).
I am 5'8" and about 150 pounds. I have maintained that weight for years and I know that it is a "healthy" weight, but I don't feel healthy because of what I eat and my low activity level. I know that this is the worst shape that I have been in a long time. My goals for this summer are to feel better, lose some fat, tone up, run a few races, and to feel strong and fit overall.
I used to run a lot (track and cross country in high school and college) so I want to get back into long distances. I graduated from a police academy one year ago and really want to get back to the shape I was in then. I am really mad at myself for not keeping up with the workouts that we did. I almost feel like I need someone yelling at me to workout all the time or I won't do it, even though I know I enjoy it! I have not found a police job yet but if I do I need to be able to pass a fitness test, which includes a vertical jump, push ups, sit ups, and a half mile shuttle run.
Starting May 1st I should be all moved into the new place (with roommates who are health conscious as well so hopefully we can motivate each other) and ready to make some healthy changes! I have been thinking about making a workout calendar for the month, but I'm not sure if it would work out due to my sporadic work schedule (mix of morning, afternoon, and midnight shifts). Right now I am shooting for doing any workout activity for at least 30 minutes every day. Anyone have any suggestions for a plan? My activities would include rollerblading, running, or bike riding for cardio. I also need to make sure I am working on the push ups and sit ups, and maybe some strength training? I don't know what exactly to do for that. I just want a good overall body workout. :)

Thank you so much for reading this and I hope to get to know some of you better and help keep each other motivated!

Replies

• snailers
    snailers Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi! I would love to make new friends. Feel free to add if you like! ;)

I recently gained weight too. I'm also in the healthy weight range but the weight I've gained is mostly fat so I'm looking to get back to a healthy body again.
  • Moyer22
    Moyer22 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just added you. :) After browsing through the posts on here I decided to do the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD for May. It's the perfect length for the challenge and will help me gauge just how out of shape I am haha.