Walking with ankle weights

Options
Walking with ankle weights- I'm hearing a lot of pro and a lot of con!
At the risk of starting some blown up argument: does anyone here do it? Anyone know any reliable studies or articles for/against? I get that there are risks of injury if not used properly, I'm just really curious if that is the only problem. I have some I use for strength-type training, and wondering if I can put them to use in my walks too.

Anyway any advice appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about this as well.
  • alicepoppyh
    Options
    Apparently, saustin201, we are the only ones....
  • jon2412
    jon2412 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well I'd like to know as well. In fact some have been delivered to the house so it would be good to know!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    no, do not walk with ankle weights. if you want added resistence for walking use wrist weights or better yet, put some weight in a backpack. adding weight to your ankles just puts added stress on your knees. your knees will wear put fast enough as it is, no sense in speeding up that process.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am in training to become a CPT and in class my teacher has told us to NOT do this unless you want injuries. :)
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Most orthopedists will say absolutely not! It just puts strain on your ankles/feet. If you want extra weight, you'd do better to put weights in a vest or something but truly, extra weight is not a good idea as it puts extra stress on your bones and joints. If you want to work out harder, go faster or farther. You don't need to add extra weight. Add extra speed. Add extra time. Don't hurt your joints so you end up unable to workout at all. I mean, most of us are here to LOSE WEIGHT so that we will be healthy and have less stress on our bodies. We don't need to artificially pile it back on to work out our body.
  • tdj819
    tdj819 Posts: 41
    Options
    Glad to know NOT to do this because I was going to buy some to use. But my walking trail has 3 hills in it, so that's my test there. But thank you as well for informing us NOT to do this. I want to hurt from the workouts not from injuries!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Most orthopedists will say absolutely not! It just puts strain on your ankles/feet.

its the knees that are negatively impacted, not so much the ankles
  • alicepoppyh
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers! Maybe I'll stick to using them for calisthenics...